• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

100 units bug?

never heard of that.

It's a bug from TS, that was also in C&C1, meaning it's pretty certainly also in RA1. Basically, the game's AI function determining what to build has a fixed array in which it stores its "should I build this?" status for each unit. In TS that array supports 100 units, in C&C1 (and RA1, I presume) it has exactly the amount of existing units. If you exceed that array by adding units, it'll try reading that "should I build this?" status from whatever data happens to be stored in the memory beyond the array, meaning some random crap is evaluated as if they were booleans, usually with a a "not 0" check, meaning it'll trigger as "yes, build this" practically all the time.

Basically, it causes the AI to madly keep building the overflow units until it runs out of money.

I'm not sure it would be possable to make 100 vehicles for RA1. You would be spending months if not years making .shp just to get to 100.

READ, please -_-

In TS that array supports 100 units, in C&C1 (and RA1, I presume) it has exactly the amount of existing units.

In other words, RA and C&C don't have a "100 units bug"; they have a "the AI craps out from the moment you even add a single one" bug.

My patch fixes this in C&C95, but seeing as there's no exposed way of adding more units, it doesn't really matter :P

Also, I think you underestimate the amount of custom SHPs already made by people ;)

Also, I think you underestimate the amount of custom SHPs already made by people ;)

Maybe...

I think RA and C&C had similar numbers of units

but then aftermath added quite a lot so I'm not sure

The 100 unit bug from Tib Sun is not total count of evey unit but 100 for each type. Max of 100 vehicles, max of 100 infantry and max of 100 aircraft. Side note: Tib sun dosn't have ships but RA2 dose and the ships are listed with vehicles.

Not to point out what seems obvious, but RA 1 and CNC95 don't have 100 units... And doesn't RA1 have more units than CnC95?

I'm lost as to what you're saying there Nyer. I'm sure you are actually saying something that does make sense, just not sure what. HAHA

-Liam

In other words, RA and C&C don't have a "100 units bug"; they have a "the AI craps out from the moment you even add a single one" bug.

^ what part of that is not clear?

The reason I compared it to TS' 100 units bug is that it was first discovered in TS, and does exactly the same thing, namely making the AI build tons and tons of that unit for no reason. As I clearly said, that doesn't mean the bug also triggers at that exact same magical number "100".

For example, C&C1 has 22 unit types. That means the AI's "should I build this?" logic has an array with 22 spots on it. Add a 23rd unit, and it messes up because its array isn't big enough. Same thing goes for all types (infantry, ships, air, probably buildings too) in both games; the game's AI can currently only handle the exact amount the games contain right now.

so say I made a map where <insert country here> gets a special unique unit (i.e. 5tnk]

would the rules.ini section of it look like this?

[5tnk]

Owner=Greece

Cost=x

sight=y

speed=z

etc.

If this map would be loaded into the cncnet5 database how would everyone get the new .shp files?

Oh, I see, thought you were saying it was when there was over 100, which there clearly wasn't in RA or C&C. No, makes sense now.

-Liam

Well, as I did mention, I raised the limit in C&C95 to 100 in my patch, as part of my experiments on adding new units in the game. That's why I knew it was the same bug :P

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance it would be possible to add a rules.ini tag of sorts that determines how long it takes to build a certain structure or unit, instead of using the build cost to determine build time?

Edit:

Oh yeah, and a rules.ini tag that basically removes all the build speed limits.

• 6 months later...

Actually, he just used a cheap pad with the "pad comes with free copter" = no, or whatever exactly it is, under "general". Because in RA, unlike TD, you have to wait for the full 1500 cost of a pad being built. It was my own idea to change it, so it wouldn't stop you making over buildings while you made copters.

The reason I come to this thread though, is that I was wondering if anyone was using this EXE. There's no chance of it being the main used EXE for CNCnet anytime soon, is there? Really would like to be able to use some crusher=no tags in map mods :P hehe

-Liam

Any chance it would be possible to add a rules.ini tag of sorts that determines how long it takes to build a certain structure or unit, instead of using the build cost to determine build time?

In C&C1, it's based on the sell price. (Which explain why the helipad and refinery build way too fast :P )

OK. So it turns out I have both the old and new .exe

The new one is called ra95-spawn.exe and while it also has the extended sidebar (and the crusher= tag :D) the power bar is really messed up. The very top and bottom are fine, but the middle is just nothing... further more, because it doesn't refresh this area, it creates a load of blurs and left over name tags that appear when hover over icons in the side bar.

Also, would using different exe files cause OOS error? I would guess yes... but. Does it?

-Liam

ra95-spawn.exe is for online play. It read the spawn.xdp and spawnam.xdp. spawn.xdp is the rules.ini and spawnam.xdp is aftrmath.ini for the ra95-spawn.exe. They both open in notepad just fine. The extended sidebar need new .shp files. They should be in EXPAND3.MIX with frunky's set up. They are named powerbar.shp, powerext.shp, side4na.shp, side4us.shp, strip2na.shp and strip2us.shp. Note the EXPAND3.MIX likes to crash XCC Mixer.

I'm going to guess that different exe files cause OOS error or not let you even start a game on Net 5.