Does C&C have a future

TQdragon

Personally I only really liked C&C1. TS... I didn't enjoy the balance of the game at all (it didn't help that all the lasers would cause internal errors as soon as they were fired... typical EA TFD version). I liked C&C for being all about terrorism and counter-terrorism so on and less about mutants and aliens. It went from gritty almost real to sci-fi. Not that that was a bad thing, just different from the original idea. Kane was very fun in TS.

I only played the demo of C&C3 (didn't like it as infantry were useless and units were moved on right-click), didn't even bother with C&C4.

"kane was very fun in ts"

your brain is different than mine. im leaving now.

+1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not hating or anything but I also believe that fans' attitudes should slightly change towards EA, many fans get really mad if change occurs and if change doesn't they complain about the lack of innovation. I still think that justice will one day be served to all true C&C fans but they all have to accept the fact that Westwood is long gone and isn't coming back, and that change isn't always a bad thing.

I also wanted to double agree with Kilk's point on C&C95 being more realistic, with that hint of sci-fi, rather than it being all so crazy.

It's something that gives the game a great feel, in a similar way, RA1 also, but even RA1 was getting a bit over the top... still, it had lots of good concepts. Honestly, many of those same concepts were in RA2, but were better implemented.

-Liam

He didn't lose his cool, he just got fed up and annoyed

Oh, really?

See, the thing is... Kane plans for EVERYTHING. It was blatantly obvious that after his alleged death, the stronger splinter factions of Nod would regroup and try to do something useful rather than just sitting around waiting for their messiah to rise again. They didn't survive the previous times by sitting on their hands, either. The whole idea of Kane 1. not planning for that, and 2. getting upset when it happened, was just plain dumb.

IMO, if a story is rich and was not well told, the game should be redone wherever there was a major flaw.

I remember an interview with one of the creators of C&C and he said that C&C wasn't a sci-fi, but a REALISTIC FANTASY (or fantastic realism, don't remember for sure now). I think he was referring to a strong internal consistency of the relation of the game with its story and not so strong to external causes & effects (real science) that hard sci-fi usually tries to bond with. The original C&C belongs to the context of the time it was created and released. Later, I read somewhere that Tiberium was part of a larger plot (alien "terra"formation) but I haven't played the other games.

If it's true, I can only imagine that the implementations might have ruined the concepts. I mean, a story of a global greed war blinding the human kind to a bigger threat is not only a project for a great game or franchise, but a great lesson. We should teach that lesson in schools instead of calling it entertainment alone. But remastering all possible commercial flaws of the past would be interesting and convenient to retell better all these stories, if I understood it right. Feel free to correct me, if desired. I really don't know all the deep aspects of the C&C universe.

IMO, if a story is rich and was not well told, the game should be redone wherever there was a major flaw.

I remember an interview with one of the creators of C&C and he said that C&C wasn't a sci-fi, but a REALISTIC FANTASY (or fantastic realism, don't remember for sure now). I think he was referring to a strong internal consistency of the relation of the game with its story and not so strong to external causes & effects (real science) that hard sci-fi usually tries to bond with. The original C&C belongs to the context of the time it was created and released. Later, I read somewhere that Tiberium was part of a larger plot (alien "terra"formation) but I haven't played the other games.

If it's true, I can only imagine that the implementations might have ruined the concepts. I mean, a story of a global greed war blinding the human kind to a bigger threat is not only a project for a great game or franchise, but a great lesson. We should teach that lesson in schools instead of calling it entertainment alone. But remastering all possible commercial flaws of the past would be interesting and convenient to retell better all these stories, if I understood it right. Feel free to correct me, if desired. I really don't know all the deep aspects of the C&C universe.

This.

I haven't played cnc4 but whilst apparently ending the story in the way they planned to they did the 4th segment in a really dumb way. (That, and the gameplay sucked balls of course)

Actually, I've seen the early C&C1 concept arts. About 50% of the ideas in there were actually used in tiberian Sun. I'm talking laser weapons, hi-tech jetpacks, power assisted armour, cyborgs, the whole nine yards. C&C1 was planned as a sci-fi game, bordering on cyberpunk. They dialed it back to modern warfare when they actually started developing it.

Actually, I've seen the early C&C1 concept arts. About 50% of the ideas in there were actually used in tiberian Sun. I'm talking laser weapons, hi-tech jetpacks, power assisted armour, cyborgs, the whole nine yards. C&C1 was planned as a sci-fi game, bordering on cyberpunk. They dialed it back to modern warfare when they actually started developing it.

well if you look at all of westwood's games they always wanted crazy scifi. hell they bought the dune franchise almost immediately to make dune games. pretty much all of their well known games are scifi. look at earth and beyond. so we got dune, earth and beyond, crazy tech red alert etc. it has always been about crazy tech. even tiberian dawn had a trailer of ts and what was there a mech with lasers lol. these real world fagts are the ones who are hijacking westwood's vision. i mean look at tiberian sun. do they think that was a mistake copying aliens, starwars, dune, etc???? no they wanted to do that. they did it from the beginning with obelisk of light and the orca and the aliens. in fact the only real world reference they got was the idea of a powerful terrorist faction but even that was based on scifi aliens and not real world motivation. and yeah i saw some tiberian dawn concept work. def leading up to ts vision. westwood was all about dat scifi fuck these real world dorks tehehehehe

I think they had an idea for a world to base a series of games in, but wanted to start by making a game that took the world as people knew it and started evolving it towards what they had envisioned. Helping to immerse the gamer in their universe. Unfortunately, after TD, they rushed it right into a totally crazy and broken world and then had nowhere to go... not to mention the whole thing being pushed in different directions by their new owners.

Just my thoughts.

-Liam

Yeah, I know TS had nothing to do with EA, but still, the situation of completely immersing the game in a setting that deeply sci fi kinda messed everything up. IMO, if they'd gone slower and made games about the world deteriorating, the feel of the whole story would be better. But once it was that deep in, EA didn't really know what to do with C&C3.

-Liam

a lot of big companies don't like making games people can't relate to. and they also reference statistics and try to copy what is popular. when they made C&C3 they purposely copied a lot of starcraft gameplay mechanics and probably looked at tiberian sun and thought it was a mediocre low rated game so they ignored it and went back to their roots because they thought tiberian dawn would be more popular as well as starcraft style gameplay mechanics only referencing the basics of what makes a C&C game C&C. louis castle admitted that generals was only made to profit off of 9/11 terrorist attack before they made generals they were working on another scifi C&C game but they decided a more real world C&C would be more profitable thanks to 9/11. they also could not afford to make the scifi world that tiberian sun offered for their cinematics when they were making C&C3. was a lot cheaper to put gdi stickers on apple laptops and ikea furniture and some tv screens with cute little scifi animations playing. there was a lot of talk about their limited budget when it was coming out and how its a lot more expensive these days to do what ts did.

Lesbians like "Jenny" play RA1 because they have Tanya the dyke instead of a commando now.

I remember in my modding mishaps I had the female tanya playing the super-buff sounds of the original C&C commando.

Haha sorry if I accidentally sparked a bit of a debate. It's natural though considering such a diverse series--after all it split into RA->C&C, RA2, TS, EA C&Cs, Generals, etc.

Still, always keep coming back to this game. I was tempted the other day to apply my strategic vision to SC2... and was like "Who cares about that game" haha.

Amusingly, my own universe would be going to space if it did take off. Although it wouldn't be all laser beams and stuff about it. :P