Does C&C have a future

TQdragon

As most of us know recent C&Cs were awful and made us question if C&C has a future with EA. The Free to play game Command and Conquer that was going to be released in 2013 was canceled. I mean I don't think that people will still play classics a lot in 10 years or so. So do you think this franchise still has potential to go big again?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ever since tiberium wars theyve been trying to avoid the C&C formula and copy other more popular games. generals was a blatant ripoff of starcraft. they made minor changes to try to hide it near cancellation. they refuse to give them enough funding to make a polished rts game. but since tiberium wars i realized they have no interest in making a game similar in style and gameplay to tiberian sun which is pretty much the only C&C game i still like these days. its a complete and total lost cause to me. ea simply cannot provide a product id want to play.

Hi,

Some short notes:

- The recently cancelled C&C was looking fine, but apparently it wasn't enough. So, it was a good thing to cancel if it wasn't convincing;

- this kind of innitiative is the one that will help keep RTSs alive (and kicking), so C&C has a future;

- EA is so hated that it is unpredictable. The first impulse is to say that C&C has to be done by a smaller company, but Victory games was a smaller company, so it's not a point at all.

The modding communities (particularly those comprising Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2) are amazing and CNCNet--through its streamlining and smoothing of online play--is actually managing to give them exposure.  C&C does have a future... or at least a chance.  And its a chance that would be tremendously helped by Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge being released for free.  EA, please.  :(

If I was in charge at EA, I would probably create a cheap Tiberian Sun / Yuris Revenge HD version with slightly better graphics and proper high-resolution without hacks. Then integrate some match-making, add something like the Steam workshop to distribute mods in a streamlined way and force people to install Origin. I bet you could make loads of money with it.

RA3 made no sense imo

whilst it had the erm.... unique differences between the three teams I thought it lost the whole concept of efficient terrain control (i.e. chokepoints) as well as the coolness that was spreading ore patches

was kinda dull though.

• 2 months later...

A lot of you are probably gonna call me crazy, but I actually like C&C3, RA3 and their expansions...They're not that bad.

C&C3 is a lot more basic, but actually fairly well balanced. RA3 initially had quite a lot of issues, but it's expansion added units that solved almost all of it's balance problems. Such as the Empire not having a low-tier Anti-Air Infantry...

In fact, in RA3 Infantry are ALMOST a viable composition, especially for Soviets.

C&C4 I do not like, it looks horrible and just down-right bad concept. It's like they wanted to turn C&C into a MOBA (Wtf? That's entirely the opposite of what C&C is about). Yet surprisingly, it has a pretty large competitive scene, in fact there's even a fairly popular channel on YouTube (That I'm even subbed to) that shows almost entirely C&C3 and C&C4 high-tier-player games.

Functionality-wise, concept-wise, capability-wise, Red Alert 2 (With ARES expansion DLL) is probably the most promising C&C game there is to date. It's got tons upon tons upon tons of mechanics that make the game really worth modding and trying to make something good...Although base RA2 (And YR) are not that great and not very balanced at all.

What makes a good RTS good is balance, variety, and skill-based concepts such as tactics and micro.

RA2 has tactics. It's balance is very loose, but only because of it's concept. If it's economy and production was a little bit different, it would be woefully more balanced. But it still has variety issues. In fact, all C&C games suffer from variety. Vehicles almost entirely have all the power and nothing else can stop them but vehicles.

Not even Infantry, or even air units, that are designed to take down vehicles, can be produced as quickly or in enough quantity, and in the Infantries case they just straight up don't have enough power, in order to take down a vehicle-based composition.

But after all of this, we still have an Open-Source project being developed by some very talented people called OpenRA. It's quickly becoming much more promising then RA2, with them working on an Isometric terrain system, Voxel support, and making many other things such as mechanics from RA2 like Mind Control, Magnetron, and Marriage Tanks.

OpenRA will replace RA2, it will only take time.

Infantry, have always seemed a bit underpowered at best for CnC games, and you're also right about aircraft. Many mods, on the other hand, have attacked this problem.

CnC future is, unfortunately, quite bleak. The idea of making yet another sequel; trying to push what has already been pushed too far (how many times can Kane be defeated? How many times can someone travel back in time and create a world war?) and that's just the story issues, for example: seems EA had 2 ways to make tiberium games, make units that are recreations of old units/change the entire game, right down to unit production. You'd think they'd get some ideas from Star Craft; choose some units that are signature to a team, recreate the rest and get really creative.

All this aside, the bigest problem is that EA is not willing to put enough money into CnC to make a good RTS, because they are afraid of another failure. Remember, EA didn't make CnC, they bought it. They thought they were buying something that was a sure fire hit. What they didn't understand is that an RTS is not like an FPS, where, if the game is out a little, no one notices too much and still has fun. In RTS, when the game is out a bit, the competitive values are lost... and the point of RTS is competition.

Sadly, this means that their failure is what will stop them from putting enough money into the project to make it work. Does that mean that CnC is dead? Not in the modding communities :D

The idea that is CnC is a good one, and people who know and love this will continue to come together and enjoy and create new mods/games to play... just probably not really anymore official releases (maybe Generals 2, not sure what happened to that either).

-Liam

What makes a good RTS good is balance, variety, and skill-based concepts such as tactics and micro.

I really liked this statement ...

AND NO CHEAP STRATEGIES AND THE ABILITY TO RECOVER EVEN AFTER GETTING TORN UP BADLY. I think Tiberian Sun out of all the C&Cs followed by Red Alert 2 did it best.

Dont forget Generals

because of the downfall of C&C generals 2 the future command and conquer is unknown

since people dont care much EA because hey EA cancled Generals 2 and shutting down victory studios

the future command and conquer are still unknown

what we can do now is rely on mods

such as many and many command and conquer mods that have alot of different,weird and awsome storyline

still the fate of C&C is still unknown

even mods is not enough to protect it

perhaps in near future only c&c mods will lived on using the legacy of the old c&c created by westwood

and dont forget c&c sole survivor they still part of c&c legacy that must not be forgotten

• 2 weeks later...

Good points everyone, but Liam the C&C Tiberium universe still has to tell more of what happened (C&C4's ending and storyline was terrible). EA still has a lot to explain especially after that ending. But creating a new universe or having the mutants and maybe the scrin have a bigger part would be fantastic. Tiberian Sun offered alot of potential for the mutants which wasn't developed as much as I hoped it would in the later games.

• 1 month later...

True, TS seemed to be pushing the tiberium universe in a particular direction, with mutants and aliens. Obviously, aliens was explored quite well, but the rest, not so much at all. I haven't played C&C4, so I wont comment on it's story, but I have heard enough about game style to know they messed it up pretty badly.

There have been games that died off a bit and them made comebacks, but they need to be made by people who care about the game and are not only after money. RTS games need to be pretty dynamic, so you can't just pump them out like a sport or movie game. They need to capture imagination AND a tactical mind.

If EA get bored, they may yet sell the rights and have someone who understands the concepts better, actually pick up on it and make something great, which, as we know would also get modders involved.

-Liam

Good points everyone, but Liam the C&C Tiberium universe still has to tell more of what happened (C&C4's ending and storyline was terrible). EA still has a lot to explain especially after that ending. But creating a new universe or having the mutants and maybe the scrin have a bigger part would be fantastic. Tiberian Sun offered alot of potential for the mutants which wasn't developed as much as I hoped it would in the later games.

Tiberian Incursion, or at least an expansion, would have put mutants in a real spotlight.

I personally like C&C 3, hate C&C 4 and am very fanatic about the return of CABAL, in my fan fiction I have thought of a fair amount of story for CABAL and the role of mutants, but not so much for the scrin. The scrin were defeated, how they took the defeat is uncertain. Kane has ascended, but in my interpretation of the lore and Kane's personality I believe that he truly cares about mankind, it would be kinda hard to live with mankind for roughly 10,000 years and not have bonded with them.

Also, I think Alyssa needs some more clarification, I will also write about her in my fan fiction.

Personally I only really liked C&C1. TS... I didn't enjoy the balance of the game at all (it didn't help that all the lasers would cause internal errors as soon as they were fired... typical EA TFD version). I liked C&C for being all about terrorism and counter-terrorism so on and less about mutants and aliens. It went from gritty almost real to sci-fi. Not that that was a bad thing, just different from the original idea. Kane was very fun in TS.

I only played the demo of C&C3 (didn't like it as infantry were useless and units were moved on right-click), didn't even bother with C&C4.

Personally I only really liked C&C1. TS... I didn't enjoy the balance of the game at all (it didn't help that all the lasers would cause internal errors as soon as they were fired... typical EA TFD version). I liked C&C for being all about terrorism and counter-terrorism so on and less about mutants and aliens. It went from gritty almost real to sci-fi. Not that that was a bad thing, just different from the original idea. Kane was very fun in TS.

I only played the demo of C&C3 (didn't like it as infantry were useless and units were moved on right-click), didn't even bother with C&C4.

"kane was very fun in ts"

your brain is different than mine. im leaving now.