The nature of this community.

Misanthropy

Specifically the "pros" in this game. As if the word professional should be used within gaming.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arrogant

This community will never grow. Simply because every person who 'matters' in it shuns anyone who they determine 'not pro'. It doesn't matter what your potential is, and it doesn't matter how good you are. If your name isn't recognized, you're banned and laughed at. Even when you do well against the 'junior pros', they just call you a noob because they're upset that you beat them/did well against them, ban you on sight, and tell everyone how much of a noob you are. As excited as I was that such an old classic game as this still has a thriving community and support from talented developers, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the attitude that is dominant on CnC Net.

Sounds like pretty much every game community ever. It's possible to get some RA games going if you avoid the self entitled people, but then again I mostly play C&C1.

Though there are plenty of people in the lobby that don't understand that in order for the community to grow they can't be elitist, if they continue to be the player base will just get smaller until they have no one to play with.

Specifically the "pros" in this game. As if the word professional should be used within gaming.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arrogant

This community will never grow. Simply because every person who 'matters' in it shuns anyone who they determine 'not pro'. It doesn't matter what your potential is, and it doesn't matter how good you are. If your name isn't recognized, you're banned and laughed at.

I think you are taking it too personally? I can only imagine that the 'pro's' have been playing for years. They're probably friends. Just have fun with it? Hell get some names, make some friends. Hell I'll play you and win lol.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you'd like changed? I'm no pro, but can it not get annoying when you scout for your opponent to realize they are on a much lower level? That the game is pretty much going to be over in less than 5 minutes? Or worse, ohw frustrating it can be to play a 2v2 with an ally that is clearly not on the same level as you. I can only assume that the 'pro's' must encounter the same thing and so might only play others players they recognise to be on their level.

Peace!

In my case, I have a nickname for games and this one for communities just to prevent being tagged.

I also avoid some players because I know it won't be a fair game for both.

But there's some time I don't play online and I only play TD/CNC1/CNC95.

I think it's natural for late arrivals to become competitive in order to make a stand, but that's a perception, not a fact.

There's a few people like this on Tiberian Sun as well. I'll admit I ban a lot of ra1 players who try to play Tiberian Sun because they aren't playing right at all and are a waste of time. I also have the occasional higher skilled players  beat me constantly but i dont mind about that.

My personal opinion is that we can't afford to chase off new players, because there's too few people playing as it is (I play TD only, but the same applies to TS and RA, despite the 200+ players there).

My advice would be: disregard any actual or perceived hostility towards you, get your ass beaten thoroughly by pros, get better, kick some asses yourself, earn some respect.

as a new "registré" - gg is pretty much the only thing i see people saying to eachother.

i don't really see the problem with the community so far? infact i've been following it for a while, and since cncnet5 i haven't been as excited to play as i am now.

You see? You have to do something about it! I have zero qualms about requesting a rematch after being thoroughly beaten. Most times, people accept and I get thoroughly beaten again but that doesn't stop me. That's part of the fun right? the competition?

The only detriment I can think from such fierce competition I guess is that it doesn't really leave much room for "casual" players. The other day I was playing and someone requested that only casual non-pro players join. Which, when I played him, I realised he took it to mean "no rushing". Which I thought to myself ok. That's fine, but even to play a long game, I could just see myself taking all the ore spot before he did and having twice as many units and defenses. I guess there's really no way to downgrade your level.

The only thing I could suggest is perhaps a sticky with commonly asked questions. Like how do you build so fast? When I first started playing, there was no one to tell me that the more barracks, or MCV's or war factories I had, that the faster production would be? Maybe a sticky with basic builds? I mean I've seen countless "pro's" build in the very same order without any variation.

Anyways, if any player sticks with it for more than a week, they usually discover these things for themselves. But I can imagine how disheartening it may be for completely new players to constantly be losing.

• 4 weeks later...

Learn to play casually, it will help the noobs play.

It doesn't mean to downgrade your play. It simply means to focus on expanding your expression of the game.

Simply just awe people with your ability to play, not necessairly crush them.