TD game options

AchromicWhite

It's come to my attention that some of the options for TD in CnCnet5 are a bit messed up, to say the least. I'll list the issues in priority.

1. This is the WORST: "Auto Crush Infantry"

This feature isn't even what it says. What it ACTUALLY does is make your vehicles take on AI attributes from the 'Computer' players. It's true that ONE of those features is to make vehicles run over infantry which is nearby, but it also means that if something fires on one of your units (and hits) then that units will immediately stop all movement and attacking or WHATEVER order it's been given by the player and instead return fire on the target which has attacked it. A nearby nod turret, for instance, will become the new target for packs of infantry trying to attack a particular building, as the AP spread is quite large... this doesn't do much dmg to the troops but it means that a player then cannot control those units properly without constantly clicking on the target he/she wants it to attack for each time the turret fires. This is an RTS, you should be able to give a unit an order and expect it to be carried out.

It doesn't stop there, though, the recon bike is considered to be infantry, by the AI, (left over code from a time the recon bike could be crushed). If a bike attacks a harvester, the harvester will start chasing it around. Even if a player sees this happening and tells it to come back to base, each time the harv is attacked, it'll try and turn around and crush the bike... which it can't do anyway.

I'd maybe like to see this feature improved, but given how much hacking it would probably take, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Please simply remove it, it doesn't even do what it actually says "Auto Crush Infantry".

Long story short, this options is misleading and BROKEN. REMOVE IT.

Money: The TD helipad builds at the speed of a Power Plant and can be built strait after barracks. It's totally unbalanced in games with high money. There's no point in making anything but helipads/pp in such games with that much money. This needs a money cap, I'd suggest what WW suggested. 10,000, tops.

MCV Undeploy is a bit messed up too, not so much because it can be moved around (which is the point), but because you have to 'sell' it to do so. In which this means that you can no longer sell your con yard (A well known tactic in TD) if needed. If this could be changed to work like Tib Sun, I'd be a lot heappier. But once again, as I see this as quite a bit of hacking work to make happen, I'd rather see it removed. (That's more of a personal note though, the "Auto Crush Infantry" is actually simply broken, this one is just a bit messy for the pros).

The "bases" and "cap the flag" mode are all part of the same thing, as they are, technically, 4 different game modes.

If you play a cap the flag with no bases, then each team gets the mob. command unit, which auto kills the whole team, if it's destroyed. I think the way that Nyer implemented it was the best way, and I'd like to see a rotation type selection button, like can be found in nyers version of CnC.

1. Bases On

2. Bases Off

3. Capture the Flag

4. Mob HQ Game

-Liam

These are beta options from the original game devs... they're not "cncnet options". They were there from the start, and exist in the way they were originally developed.

As for the game modes... while I mostly did that to free up the AI button (since originally, the AI and CTF options were ridiculously on the same button, disallowing AI games with CTF enabled), I do agree that should be one game mode feature, as radio button list or dropdown list or something. Especially since MHQ mode is so different from normal CTF.

Was "Auto Crush Infantry" EVER put on a button somewhere, though? or is it about as much as a feature as "Wheeled Vehicles"?

-Liam

Also, Auto Crush is still broken. I never remember it from any of my LAN games or WWonline. And it doesn't do what it says. So at least change the name, but seriously that doesn't fix the problem.

The feature isn't "auto crush" at all. It's a feature to make all units auto-scatter when attacked. That's literally all. The equivalent of pressing X whenever it's attacked.

And, indeed, it's just one of these hidden options. Just like wheeled vehicle rotation, and MVC undeploy... and 6 player LAN, and enabling music remixes, and tree targeting, and building helipads without helicopter (which I think is a more useful option to put on cncnet, actually), and showing civilian names, and disabling bibs, and a bunch more :P

According to the game it was supposed to be "smarter defense logic", but as far as I can see, it's still dumb as bricks. The misnomer of "auto-crush" is just because the auto-scatter often moves tanks closer to infantry that's attacking them, which then triggers their normal crushing logic on infantry attacking them from the next cell.

I honestly have no idea what kind of effect it has on harvesters.

Makes then bloody well run after recon bikes... like if you get a recon bike and attack an AI harv, it follows the bike around.

OK, i JUST played a game against 2 guys that teamed up on me using the "Auto Crush Infantry". FUCK THIS GAME.

I don't usually get this angry, but it's been 100% infuriating. I cannot control my units, I cannot make any calcuated attacks, I cannot control units in big battles to select the correct units for them to attack. NOTHING, NO CONTROL AT ALL.

Get the "feature"/fuck up, out of the game.

-Liam

Auto-Crush is an instant win for smart Nod players, simply because GDI's harvs get distracted and you can't save them in time, not to mention that their mediums have a bad time dealing with bikes too ¬_¬

Also my solution to the MCV undeploy when selling problem is to use the sandbags glitch :P

Yeah, but this guy had also put on unlimited money. So harv hunting didn't do anything

Which is another broken feature in CnCnet5. The helis are totally unbalanced with such money (to be honest, it can be pretty bad at 10,000, lol).

(Edited original post to include unlimited money as an issue). Seriously, we're trying to build a player base for what is currently a very small community. It's hard as it is without people who don't know the game having to try to learn in this mess.

I think the options that were included in LAN were fine, MAYBE adding on undeploy, but considering the selling issue, I'd say no.

And, also Jacko, if you need to sell it in a hurry (it's gonna be destroyed) that doesn't really solve the issue. If WW had actually kept this feature, they probably would have programmed it that there was a different way to 'undeploy' it, somewhat like tib sun, or maybe you double click on it again etc. Obviously having it hidden in the 'sell' option, is quite strange. And as I said, messes with classic tactics. (again, it's down the list; Auto Crush, and inf money really have to go).

-Liam

Seriously dude. I'm not dropping this until at LEAST the "Auto Crush Infantry" feature is removed.

I'm actually going around FB, contacting random people that have 'liked' cnc TD to allow them to know about CnCnet5 and build a player base. If I play people and beat them terribly, I offer advice and give them a tactics website. I'm trying to help this community grow and you're feeding my back that you don't care and that we should have broken, beta options that only remained in the code to be used for the AI in single player, as an option for our player controlled units.

-Liam

Yeah, good luck with that. I pointed out these issues like a year ago in the dedicated cncnet5 suggestions thread... It changed everything...

Auto-crush just makes your units act like AI units - return fire, run over bikes/infantry, etc. Sucks balls. Undeploy I can live with but it also blows for reasons already mentioned.

Thank you cn2mc. I'm not dropping this though. It's a beta feature that was REMOVED from player controls because it clearly doesn't work.

It's as bad as having a feature in RA, that, if your tanks were attacked by a single tesla, they would all relentlessly attack it until no more tesla would be shooting them. RA1 players would be up in arms. The only reason our voice is small here is because there are less players. But those who know can see how broken it is.

This needs to go, and if this thread doesn't work, I will hound funky more. In more ways. It'll be my protest :P

-Liam

Makes then bloody well run after recon bikes... like if you get a recon bike and attack an AI harv, it follows the bike around.

Umm... the AI harvesters in the game have always done that. Or are you saying the player harvesters do it too with this option enabled?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. And that whenever someone fires on a unit, that unit will then instantly be given an order to attack that thing (remember that this is every time they're hit, most weapons fire about once per second). Meaning that if your units are under fire, you basically can't control them.

-Liam

(left over code from a time the recon bike could be crushed)

They are still crushable right? I mean it's been a while but I remember them being crushable in the N64 version of C&C precisely. lol

I watched a GDI Mammoth Tank crush my recon bikes but the smaller stuff couldn't.

Every unit that can crush infantry can crush bikes, but the feature is either flawed or purposely made a bit of a pain in the ass. The bike seems to need to be hit from a certain angle and has to be either stationary or moving into the cell where you want to crush it, and from what I've seen wether you can crush it or not also depends on the way the crusher-unit enters the cell the bike occupies. Diagonal movement gives you a better chance of crushing bikes, probably due to cell-entering logics nobody knows anything about yet.