Command & Conquer: Dawn of Tomorrow Map Contest

Kilkakon

titletext.png

The map contest has officially begun!

I have sent a private message to all people who have entered into the contest to create maps for my new project. Feel free to see the development thread if you want to follow the journey up to this point!

Currently we have the following participants:

• Karpet
  • Goatmessiah & White
  • Jacko
  • Scionox

More participants may join at any point before the contest closes, just PM me and I'll sort you out. The deadline for submissions is February 1st, 2015. Each participant may submit any number of maps.

The prizes include:

Winner will have beta access until the mod is released. The winners will be given special status in the credits. :cncsmirk:

All maps that are considered worthy of inclusion will be included with the mod. Their authors will also be mentioned in the credits. :)

I am the sole judge of this event, and my word is final. No arguments, no butts, no lampposts. This is for fun! I'm also available for any help or advice that may be necessary. I did include a readme.html file on how to get this going, but as always, I'm there when people need me.

Good luck, God Bless and have fun  :laugh:

Hi Kilkakon,

I would suggest you to break it in 2 phases:

1 - Map design

2 - Script

Just ask in phase 1 to present the map, the name of the mission, the briefing and maybe some units and building to make some points.

You might find a few ppl willing to submit a map, but without patience to code the mission.

Would be fun to have some empty maps where we send you a trigger and a teamtype to work on there and you integrate all the triggers and teamtypes.

Just a thought ...

@Chimas

I'm wanting to have more missions for people to play for my mod. While your idea is cool from a community aspect, I'm not sure it helps the project any if there's lots of unfinished missions (maps without triggers) or vice versa. I would be happy to accept maps that are based on existing ones, say multiplayer maps with a few cliffs closed up. That would be fine by me. Alternatively you could team up with somebody else.

@Goatmessiah

See how you go! :laugh: If it's too tight and people want me to push it back I'm happy to do so. Do have fun with it too :cncsmirk:

My personal goal was to have the whole project done and out the gate by February, but at the end of the day I'm happy to listen to the community :)

• 2 weeks later...

Attention contestants! I have pushed back the deadline of the contest to February 1st by request. I wish you all the best of luck making some awesome maps!

I've also sent you all another test map or two if you're interested in helping me analyse some economy feedback I've received.

good because I was about to report saying I was going to be in late

combinations of Uni exams starting and moving back into halls, getting used to how DoT plays, trying to learn how to make missions for C&C95 (still stuck on this bit)* and then subsequently making them for DoT.

*I have good experience of doing the majority of stuff using Raed for RA, but thats easy and I'm still a total scrub at C&C95 mapping.

Jacko, the best thing to do when scripting C&C missions is to have a small (like 10x10 squares) test map for your triggers and teamtypes. That way you don't have to playtest through your whole mission only to find the win trigger doesn't work. Also, Nyer's 'tactical' code - that reveals the whole map so you can see if the enemy patrol movements and construction are as planned.

Could I get you to bundle both XCC and the special files for DoT into one rar/zip. I can't get mine working :P which makes mapping a bit hard.

-Liam

I'm happy to organise this for you when I get home White. From memory the installation requires a lot of admin rights, installing not to C and the old version of the tools are required. I'll get that sorted for you soon. :)

Hope everything's going well all :laugh:

Please let me know what you think RE: the two maps I sent you all also :) I am actively considering increasing the economy rate (probably to 2x rather than 3x). If I do you'd need to change the money trigger in your maps, but I am happy to help you with that if you need it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to increase the economy rate to 2x. I will also be making changes to the EXE to fix a bug (currently the Mammoth Tank can't be built by players, whoops!). I also concede I did a really bad job with Sunrise, the AI getting stuck on the choke point all the time.

What I will say is that because I've made this change just over a week before the contest deadline, I will judge the map based on the economy rate it uses-- be it 1x or 2x.

If you do want to change it to 2x, just change your money trigger to reinforce 2 minigunners instead of one.

Aww sorry to hear that. :( It sounds like things didn't work out :O If you do get time, awesome, if not, I appreciate you playing the game and having fun with it! :cncsmirk:

Well Jacko seems to be about half way through finishing, hard at work (PMing me away, haha). My Steam buddy's working away on his map, trying to understand triggers. I'll probably bump things out by a few days if people are close but not yet done.

So far I've had two maps submitted and I have played them both. :laugh: While they are both a bit rough it's great to have some cool submissions! I'll most likely incorporate both of them into the game with some AI changes.

Otherwise, I'll give people a little bit more time for last minute entries before posting the maps and the winner as I've yet to hear from Karpet.