-

Guest ehy

It's how the game is, everybody knows it. Most decent players will play around it quite well. It's only in certain set-ups and on some maps that it really throws the game off balance. Or when someone is too stupid and slaps his airstrip as far left as he can.

Yeah, the plane always takes a while to drop off to the left, although, it's not too bad unless it's so far left that it effects buggy production, capping it's speed at a longer build rate than it should. In some ways it'd maybe be better to see it gone... it's not like you're only allowed 1 cargo plane per strip, it's just that the plane has to drop the cargo before another can enter the map (which doesn't actually make sense).

-Liam

it's not like you're only allowed 1 cargo plane per strip, it's just that the plane has to drop the cargo before another can enter the map (which doesn't actually make sense).

-Liam

Yeah thats the problem alright. Imagine if that got changed/fixed...

The quickest possible fix, I suggested it a while back in the map expansion topic, is to up the speed, and possibly the ROT of the cargo plane. That won't change anything else in the game mechanics and will mostly eliminate West-bound construction delay. It's just a matter of whether C&C can correctly handle unit speeds over 40 or not. That is the highest speed seen for units in the game, although projectiles do go well over. I'm pretty sure that the worst a mod like this can do is cause minor graphical gliches, but probably it's going to be completely harmless. Feel free to try it and report the results, I might do that myself as well sometime in the unforseeable future.

mmm... Well, if I ever go ahead with my idea for a TD expansion, I would probably look into fixing it in that exact way. The only thing that would mean is a vehicles being dropped off a little sooner. Although, if the strip is east bound, it's pretty much instant anyway.

The other thing that would be cool, is if we could program the plane to fly from the west side of the map if it's west bound. But that would, of course, take some pretty serious hacking.........

"Who ya gonna call? Nyerguds!"

-Liam

it's not like you're only allowed 1 cargo plane per strip, it's just that the plane has to drop the cargo before another can enter the map (which doesn't actually make sense).

From a programming point of view, it probably does, since the building and the plane get 'linked' somehow. I suspect this is similar to how refinery, repair bay and helipad docking works.

• 2 months later...

Heh. That might be possible, actually... it's just a matter of feeding the coordinates of the center of the unit into the weapon range checks rather than the coordinates of the turret. But, yeah, not really sure where that stuff is in the code.

Now only if Nyerguds finds out how to fix the firing offsets so there's no South advantage...

fixed

WOW really? Man the cnc crew are a talented bunch!!!

Heh, no. Funky was just exposing me being cheeky.

I personally have found these bugs, quirks and (dis)advantages to be a big part of c&c's everlasting charm.  It adds an extra dimension you must adapt to in order to win.  There have probably been close cases in the old days where exploiting these things allowed me to beat a slightly better player and motivated me to keep playing and exploring all this game still has to offer.  I even  take these bugs into account when making a single player mission (if you ever played 'Defend the Obelisk' where your obelisk is in the north.)