Twist of Fate without sandbagging?

TaxOwlbear

I'm stuck at the Twist of Fate mission in Covert Ops. I'm not really sure what strategy to chose. At the start, I try to destroy as many Nod units as possible, taking out light tanks with my orcas. Nevertheless, I usually end up with maybe three light vehicles and a bunch of infantry (some from selling buildings).

After the initial wave, my orcas become pretty much useless because Nod has SAM sites everywhere. Oh, and they have air strikes for some reason. Before the first wave of Nod vehicles comes, I can barely manage to get two advanced guard towers or so. When I somehow managed to survive longer than that, Nod just drops a nuke on me. Since the initial building space is so small, I can't avoid losing half my buildings.

This mission seems to be magnitudes harder than the rest of the GDI missions combined. Any advice?

For me, it's the hardest C&C1 mission. I build my base expanding to the north-east (where your MCV arrives) so I can easily deploy refineries near the tiberium fields on the east. Then expand to the west (there's a huge tiberium field in the north) and destroy the Nod mini base at the north-west corner. By this time, you should have refineries near key tiberium fields and can easily destroy the central base. The South-western base is the hardest of all, be sure to conquer 3/4 of the map first before beginning your siege there. I didn't do any sandbagging in any of the missions.

Also, I noticed the AI cheats in this mission. They keep getting lots of cash from the slightest tiberium harvest. It was their last base with only 1 working harvester, their money has depleted (empty silos and they sell any building that takes damage) but after the harvester collected 1 small piece of tiberium (I monitored the harvester when it left the base and return, the tiberium field there was depleted) their silos suddenly went full and they build 3 buggies and rebuild a second harvester from that little collection.

there was a topic somewhere where peterthepidgeon explained that.

The bottom line is: The AI cheats on every map. For every "bail" of tiberium you get 25 credits (so a full harv holds 28 of these). The AI gets 708.

They get money 28x more efficiently than you, which is mad

Some tips:

- In the opening, drag the closer units to base. You'll be able to preserve a tank and an APC;

- With the Orcas you can clear out some units, like making the stealth tanks show up (IDK if you have notice them);

- you can even send the MCV through the Tiberium side, it will take less damage if you support it with the Orcas. Requires some timing;

- when squads starts to visit you, they make the same path which is running through a border before turning in the choke point, so you can fire at them before they arrive;

- If you are able to build 2 AGTs is more than enough to wipe out all these squads.

\edit

Keep training, cu'z I already started the Nod's Twist of Fate version in snow theater, let's see what you can save. Have fun ...

Time for a little bragging - i completed it in 17 mins real time / 1 hr 11 mins game time without sandbags :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xMXyXBDH_k&

The key is to conserve the two mammoths at the start, then take out the northwest base to gain area to place more refineries. you'll need some money management so once you have enough units, wipe out the central base, leaving only the main southwest base. now all you need to do is get rid of one advanced power plant and the entire base is on low power.

Oh yeah, it's highly recommended you save the 2 mammoth tanks being sandwitched by Nod forces at the north at the start of the mission. It's also possible to save 1 medium tank if you can regroup it with the mammies (just drive them away from the surrounding Nod units, only a few of them would give chase) and you also need to move 1 medium tank near your initial base because the AI will destroy it if you don't. I discovered setting lower game speed helps in the beginning. The Apache at the central base will be very annoying if you lose those mammoths.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm not sure where you get the time to build four refineries from, though. The first attack (three Nod cycles) comes at 4:30. At that point, Nod had already send flame tanks and SSM launchers at me during my last playthrough (well, not so much "through").

Thanks for all the tips. I'm not sure where you get the time to build four refineries from, though. The first attack (three Nod cycles) comes at 4:30. At that point, Nod had already send flame tanks and SSM launchers at me during my last playthrough (well, not so much "through").

Don' worry about the bikes cos they just run around without focusing on any target in particular. If you've conserved units they should defend u well for a long time, by then yuor refs would have been up.

Ha, I managed to eat this mission just now! I did build my base in the northeaster corner of the map, immediately spammed five refineries, and eliminated the two minor Nod bases. Cracking the large Nod base was a bit tricky, but I played it save and sealed them in, destroying their harvesters whenever they left the base. Nod nuked me twice, but didn't even manage to destroy a constriction yard.

Thanks for the advice, folks. :)

This is cool.

I've always (re)played this mission, making my base at the SouthEast corner and loosing the Mammoths.

Now, I'm gonna try your take.

I suggest we make a thread for every factory mission from GDI03 or 04 (or at least for those complex missions) up to the missions in Covert Operations.

there was a topic somewhere where peterthepidgeon explained that.

The bottom line is: The AI cheats on every map. For every "bail" of tiberium you get 25 credits (so a full harv holds 28 of these). The AI gets 708.

They get money 28x more efficiently than you, which is mad

It's also exploitable, if you find a quiet place where the AI rebuilds silos where you can constantly capture and sell them :P

(Unfortunately, this mission doesn't have any such place)