Is more than 8 players possible? How about drop-in mid game?

fir3w0rx

8+ players?

Has anyone here ever tried to do this? Are there any mods out there that allows this? Any idea which part of the game to start looking into: which INI? EXE? I'm asking 'cos I think it'll be so much fun if we could have 20+ players going at it. The more the crazier.

'Drop-In'?

Can any modders/hackers/programmers out there foresee this being a possibility one day where 1 player is playing a campaign mission, then mid-game a 2nd player drops in and helps out? Maybe you can have a player in a co-op mission and have a 2nd or even 3rd MCV just siting there with no 'owner'. Then when someone else drops in, ownership of one of those MCVs is given to them. Remotely possible? How about dropping in to observe? It'll be great if you came to the party late, you can still drop in mid-game to observe the match :)

• Upvote 2

8+ players?

Has anyone here ever tried to do this? Are there any mods out there that allows this? Any idea which part of the game to start looking into: which INI? EXE? I'm asking 'cos I think it'll be so much fun if we could have 20+ players going at it. The more the crazier.

I guess people have tried. It's about the EXE.

I wouldn't even bother. IMO it's very much a physical limitation. Even if you could somehow start a game with more than 8 players, I bet the way the p2p protocol is designed it would just blow up into your face and there's no way you can work around that. Also there's only 8 colors, etc., etc. - just too many restrictions to work around.

Aren't you happy with 6 players being possible on YR? Isn't it even 8 players for network games (CnCNet)?

Clearly YR engine is superior to RA2. But still, I don't see it happening.

Yes, as Alex points out there is only 8 or 9 colors to be played.

Maps would have to be designed for this, and even 8 players to a map is very limiting.

8 players on YR CncNet is pretty awesome, but if it went beyond, there would need to be many restructures (maps + more colors, Larger dimensions on the maps then what is currently possible).

• Upvote 1

IIRC CCHyper once managed to add more players into Tiberian Sun, so with some effort it is possible. That, however, doesn't mean that it'd be practical, with limitations like the P2P networking engine likely not being able to handle 20 players.

Colors are no issue, if I cared, I could already enable you to choose between some 30 different colors instead of the 8 you have right now.

Map size is not really an issue either, you can make over 200x200 maps and those have plenty of space - see DTA map Tiber for example: http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/11/10865/Tiber.png

Drop-in is never going to happen, it'd be impossible to sync the hundreds of units, structures etc. for that. The closest that is possible is multiplayer saves - already functional in DTA, it'd likely be possible to hack them into YR as well.

Colors are no issue, if I cared, I could already enable you to choose between some 30 different colors instead of the 8 you have right now.

It would still be a huge obstacle and honestly, I harshly doubt you'd be able to enable us to choose between 30 different colors.  :)

Open YR's Rulesmd.ini. Checks the [Colors] section. I'm able to use any of the colors there (there's more than 30 colors, but some of them show up through shroud if used in-game - this restricts the amount of colors to around 30). The client actually already has a hidden function that enables me only to use any color in the list - it's fun to troll people by playing as black. Especially in TS where the chat will be black as well, with no highlight - makes your chat messages invisible if the top-left corner is shrouded XD

I thought they might be defined in the rules.ini but RA2/YR uses array-like indexing for colors in so many different places it's hard to imagine they're not actually hard-coded in some place too. Also if there was some place that used only 4 bits for the color index you'd be out of luck as well, though 16 would still be a respectable number. The color black is actually used in the last allied mission on RA2 for the elite units and tesla coils protecting the Kremlin.  :)

2^3 = 8

2^4 = 16

Yeah, it uses array-like indexing for the colors, but the array (or list) contains all of the the colors in Rules.ini. Only the multiplayer UI has been restricted to show the first 8 colors, while there's at least 50 colors in the list. When a MP game is launched by the spawner, the game accepts any color index for players, not only the first 8. I've used at least color #49 in TS, and color #17 in YR. I doubt TS and YR are different when it comes to the house color system.

It's not really comparable. In Sole Survivor each player controls 1 unit, in the main C&C games each player can control hundreds of units. It was also server-based.

Can't it be modded to have MCV units that can deploy and expand into entire bases? What's 'server-based' and what are the other C&C games called; 'server/client-based'? :D (I have no idea)

• Upvote 1

The other games work using peer-to-peer (P2P) technology. There isn't one server that would contain the game state and communicate with clients, instead all clients (players) communicate directly with each other.

If you want more info on the difference between client/server based (SS) and P2P-based (main C&C games) networking, I suggest you use Google. Both technologies are pure basics when it comes to networking, there's a lot of documentation on them and it's easy to understand.

The other games work using peer-to-peer (P2P) technology. There isn't one server that would contain the game state and communicate with clients, instead all clients (players) communicate directly with each other.

If you want more info on the difference between client/server based (SS) and P2P-based (main C&C games) networking, I suggest you use Google. Both technologies are pure basics when it comes to networking, there's a lot of documentation on them and it's easy to understand.

Ah ok, thanx.
  • Upvote 1

Tiber 10v10 matches, all sov! I can see it already! Lets make this happen!

"You from Xwis?"

"Yeah, I hear you can play upto 4v4s here on cncnet"

"Nah bro 10v10s, we still need 12 more players to start game."

It'll be the best MMORTS for a long time (like End of Nations would have been if it were finished :().

• Upvote 1

It'll be the best MMORTS for a long time (like End of Nations would have been if it were finished :().

10 vs 10?

Dear Santa  :D  that would be awesome! I only wish CnCNet could make it work.  :tibsun:

Imagine having 20 world class players having vs. each other in two teams LvR or TvB and what kind of insane battles that would create.  :P

Insane amount of good players at any one time usually results in a fun game, but also terribly difficult to play in and enjoy as much as there will be 5 people attacking you at any one time (if they play well together!) ha

Insane amount of good players at any one time usually results in a fun game, but also terribly difficult to play in and enjoy as much as there will be 5 people attacking you at any one time (if they play well together!) ha

Well, 'good' players might be a little hard to find at your level, but if you lower your expectations a little, 4v4 games aren't too hard to find here, especially at this time, and even more so at this time during weekends :)
  • Upvote 1

Well, 'good' players might be a little hard to find at your level, but if you lower your expectations a little, 4v4 games aren't too hard to find here, especially at this time, and even more so at this time during weekends :)

Drop my levels? haha I haven't played in like a year or 2 - not sure, maybe even longer haha - i will be terrible I am sure bud :P

Open YR's Rulesmd.ini. Checks the [Colors] section. I'm able to use any of the colors there (there's more than 30 colors, but some of them show up through shroud if used in-game - this restricts the amount of colors to around 30). The client actually already has a hidden function that enables me only to use any color in the list

But I want to play with the color black or white (i dont know which colors are possible) to. XD 

Can you enable it for me?^^

I could make it possible to play as white though, but if I do that, I might as well enable the rest of the 30 colors (excluding black) as well.

I think you should have done that in the first place, the more colors the better imo. And while you're at it, you should add some cool unit skins (voxels or whatever they're called) and make them unlockable as an achievement!

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...