[Discussion] Using a map feature is 'bug abuse'

Ra2Nub

Today I had an interesting enemy. Won't name him, I am not here into the drama. But I am looking into answers how other see it.

Basically, there's an official Westwood map named 'Monster Movie'

In this map random T-rex enemies walk through the map here and there.

Someone hosted this map and I played in it. I know by fact by playing this map many times before that the said T-rex enemies that walk give promotion when you kill them.

What I did is put a seal in an IFV to fast kill them and promote the IFV. As expected I use the map to my advantage while also just normally playing it.

When my enemy was killed he calls me out for 'bug abusing' even though 1) its part of the map and 2) Westwood gave the enemies experience.

Am I in the wrong for taking the map to my advantage or was my enemy crying and findig an excuse to blame himself for the lose? After the game he did change the map and won on that 1. Without giving a second game he went 'of course you can only win by bug abusing' and kicked me out without even being a man and fight more.

So... is this bug abusing or is this just using the map...?

What is your view?

You did well and as expected. Funny thing is, the host didn't think of this before the one who joined. You are not to blame.

I encounter the same thing frequently in other aspects of the game (TD and RA). And if they can't beat you with it, you are a "cheater". Simply accept that you are a "cheater" and carry on :)

It's not bug abusing. Killing any and all animals on the map in the game (not in real-life) is perfectly OK.

You can also mind-control them and grind them (they give money). But that's a story for another day.

Tomi is so desperate to get rid of people he can't beat that he actually tried to get me banned for it: http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/183028-siralex-bug-abuse-selling-cows/

BTW, you can also mind-control trucks and cars and use them for scouting (uncovering shroud).

There's actually special shooting range targets that promote GIs/conscripts and some other nifty stuff but it's just based on simple math. These can also promote tanks and can, occasionally, lead to the "surprise elite" when you get an elite tank (simply because it ran something over or shot something down) and nobody knows where it came from but only on maps with lots of such things on them.

Sounds like an intentional map feature by Westwood, or if not intentional, then something that they simply didn't mind. They've given the cost value (that determines how much experience an unit gets from the kill) to the dinosaurs themselves and so the mapper has likely known that killing the dinos could be used to rank up units.

It's a for funz map WWP(Westwood Pacific) made, sort of a homage to Hollywood movies, there's quite a few of these actually. There's nothing buggy about it.

The dino's roam the map providing various disadvantages and indeed if used correctly advantages to all the players on the map.

However..

Can't say there aren't any issues with the dinos, animals in general tho.

Every time i load that map i happen to always notice the dinos quite ignore players and just stomp through the base, i think there might be some issue with one or two of the ini keys, the dinos actually most likely should be a lot more aggressive. Haven't really noticed(not that i've looked at this specifically) in other maps.

It is possible the scripted move commands are messing with the dino ability to attack as well.

So basically in fact you might be getting the baby treatment from the dinos :P

It's a for funz map WWP(Westwood Pacific) made, sort of a homage to Hollywood movies, there's quite a few of these actually. There's nothing buggy about it.

The dino's roam the map providing various disadvantages and indeed if used correctly advantages to all the players on the map.

However..

Can't say there aren't any issues with the dinos, animals in general tho.

Every time i load that map i happen to always notice the dinos quite ignore players and just stomp through the base, i think there might be some issue with one or two of the ini keys, the dinos actually most likely should be a lot more aggressive. Haven't really noticed(not that i've looked at this specifically) in other maps.

It is possible the scripted move commands are messing with the dino ability to attack as well.

So basically in fact you might be getting the baby treatment from the dinos :P

Yeah they never really attack you unless you are literally near the T-rex (melee). Tbh they should agro you if you attack them, they don't. But maybe they don't because otherwise their movement patterns get messed up.

The only other places T-rex were used really is 1 in Allied mission 2, and Soviet mission 1 where you need stop them (and have 1 in top left corner as an Easter egg which you can take ;) )