Icons for other units/stuff

Assist

Could we have icons ( I mean the icons appearing on the list of buildings on your right side) for the following units and buildings:

Oblisek of Darkness

Cabal Obelisk 

Cabal Autobot (the huge robot)

cabal core

ICBM

nod pyramid

mammoth tank

Nod montauk (maybe I have its name wrong)

Gdi Kodiak

gdi command center (also needs to be fixed it's currently 1x1 but it's actual size should be 2x3 or 3x2 I think)

scrin ship (the huge alien building)

hospital

civillian armoury 

cargo

truck

elite cadre ( it has its icon but only in mission, could you translate that into the multiplayer?)

if you are wondering why, this is for  the mod maps makers, to allow more variety and flexibility. Also some of the previous buildings need colour tag so that each building assigned to the player colour.

Edited by Assist

I'm not sure these icons actually exist, someone would have to make them from scratch in most cases. Some are easier to make than others, for instance, one could grab a still shot of the Montauk from one of the cutscenes, same goes for the Kodiak and, perhaps the Scrin ship. The pyramid can be taken from the final NOD cutscene, it looks similar enough to the one from which the missiles are deployed. 

However, such things as hospitals, trucks, trains and other civilian buildings and units... I'm not sure where to get those images from. I vaguely remember one of the NOD (or was it GDI?) cutscenes featuring a couple of trucks driving across a bridge of some sort, but everything else?..

ooh man that would be so awesome!! I usually use existing nod images for gdi and the otherway around for mod units, cuz i don't like the grey icon either! It will be awesome if we could upload our own pics, but that too much asked of course. They are called Cameo by the way. I tried to use the 'Cameo=' code to use a (existing) different pic but it doesnt work. If any admin would reconsider your request, Assist.. that will be great indeed. But i'm pretty sure they won't

Well Holland, of course it's not a straight forward suggestion. This might take hours of hard work for seemingly something that has no direct effect on the game. Also bear in mind our developers are not game oriented but say online platform oriented. If you noticed, they would be concerned with any bug or inconvenience that have an impact on the overall CNCNET. But for such "change", it might imply that this isn't from the original game, i.e. a HERESY. Cameos addition is profoundly odd. 

A developer will not waste 6 hours or more just to add cameos in expense of other more important issues. It's really up to us to sell this idea to our developers and convince them why we need such a change. Our strength lies in our understanding of the game itself rather than the CNCNET platform. We have better knowledge on how potentially this change might have a good positive effect by encouraging more modders " the real modders, I mean not the opposite of WW maps" to join the CNCNET community by simply adding more flexibility to the game itself. The is a huge base of players who migrated from TS to simply making new mod games based of 99% of TS engine itself. I used maybe 11 years ago to make new maps with the already existing units but my projects were not completely done due to those silly issues. In TS, you could make Starwars like weapons, that's how much content in this game. But I would end up downloading TS mods which fixes those minor flaws. 

Also if someone from the mod community give us his Cameos that he made in the past which would save us the time and effort. As long as the cameos are logical and consistent to the game, I see no problem in their addition to this rich game.

• Upvote 1

You're so right!!!! Yeah man this game has still so much potential,

yeah  Lin Kuei Ominae is one of those legends :). Many more on ppmsite

I wonder how far cncnet is allowed to edit the games they manage, do they have to keep the original ts engine? I have imagined stripping the game from the original creations, and leave it with the basics: The list for units and structures, the ground, the clicking and the cursors etc etc. If it would be an open source for modders themselves to create entire new self thought-out gameplays with self made or original graphics and balances. Cuz this is how powerfull westwood created the foundation of the game, it has so much more potential to just have a limit amount of games. But yeah if this could be fixed, this open game would have alot of potential to make alot of money again. (not sure if i sound smart or dumb, im just imagining :P )

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit!! Nice!! i will use that image, and photoshop the text away.

I wanted to mention that xmexyou and me are working on gathering alot of new units including cameo's, so yea you were right they might upload them too! But its not sure yet.

I've put them in an image for you for what i have so far, might not use some, the makers do want credit for their work, but its been like 13 years ago since they made them, but i will mention their names anyway if its gonna be launches.

here is what i got:

Cameos.jpg.b3374931c9dc002b42a56b3280a58400.jpg

I made the ones on top myself:
4tnk, cabal oblisk, flame tank, somebody's mod, and the kodiak

• Like 2

Holland, thank you for your update. I appreciate your efforts and input in the TS community.

Anyway, I have gone through the archive and it appears that there was attempts to get a TS as close as to the beta version of the original TS. As you know, Westwood was rushed to develop the game. Could you have a look on the following links, there are cameos to borrow as well, even for the construction yard.

https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/251-random-nod-pictures/

https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/252-random-gdi-screenshots/

Also I forgot to mention the mutants soldiers and the Tiberium creatures as they  don't have cameos. Cabal units and structures lack colour tagging, is there a way to fix the  colour tags?

On side note,  some voices are ideal to have for the Tiberium creatures and maybe robots/drones. (If you could extract them from the XCC and re-upload them to make them compatible for voice selection. There are two creature voices, one or two drone voices  and also Cabal voices like laughs in the last mission in the mix. Also Cabal threats/talks from videos and pre-mission maps can potentially fit the criteria as well but that's might not be practical or otherwise borrow from RA2 or TD(dinosaurs/ octopus/ drones/ ...etc) !! L0000L

Edited by Assist

thanks man. I dont wanna spend too much time fixing all of that though, im just a map maker. It will be cool if we can fix all of that, im glad you posted it! I just learned about mix files the other day, and the rest is coming, dkeeton, rampastring, iran and the other dudes are doing really hard work. I think if we can get ts to the version it should be, it would be way cooler, those cameos and buildings are insane! Obviously they have an abbility i never knew about. But i dunno how that works, besides adding units. maybe they cld add the cloning and chrono and yuri stuff from ra2 too. It explains

alot that TS has always been unfinished. CnCnet is pretty close to perfect it tho. The admins are pretty bad ass. I on the other hand, just love to play and create awesome custom made maps. And now they adding new shit, i wish i could go in a time chamber and spend years on making and testing awesome maps with new gameplay. And we see great maps like those coming by like sky's tower defense. Or sky's look out. Ptapiok's mission maps, and my own waveloop ai compstomps, race, and TD maps. Its fucking awesome, honestly i play TS cuz of making maps. We gotta keep on moving and bring new shit, ofc its gonna die if we don't, but all this new shit got so much potential. Older games are just dying, but if they transform with the time they could be great! I mean consciousness is rising on the planet. Sorry it sounds lame, but old things dont serve no more, so lets do crazy shit lol

Helll yeah!!!  This is westwoods true great invention, to create the game so it can be easy modified. It seems rediculous now to create a software that includes XCC Mixer's abillities, sunedit 2k's abilities, final sun,  and all the other editors. A software as rich as photoshop. But oh hell how I wish it exists. Ptapiok has made a real nice program that should be part of it, its called TSWaveMaker. He is now making a program to easily insert auto-ally in any map. But yeah ill just make tutorials instead.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

posted imageposted imageposted imageposted imageposted image
Saw this post (way too late necroing an old post its bad) but at least i have some icons to add.
The first two is my own mix and match up i just can't seem to get the angle right on first one, and 2nd one the rocket-pods are too big.
the antenna are white instead of black and the front side panel is too low down have to redraw it bit tougher and sturdier little higher.
second and third are simple ingame versions cut out on standard background and colorized for each faction for now.
the last one is from something else i just cut out and pasted on standard background.
i was annoyed i couldn't find any decent sidebar icon for the mammoth tank so i had to fix it.

if anyone has better post it :)
(as close as possible to the originals please.)
Edit:
posted image>posted image improved the rocket-pod, increased the front height and added a shade so it looks bulky.
might actually improve it a bit more in the future before working on nod's version.
The back/side seems bit off. maybe the barrels are too long too. 

Edit2: how it looks in-game
posted image
Might need to zoom in on the next one sorry about that.
posted image

Edited by Marnok
Spelling, added additional image.
  • Like 1