Some changes to the ladder for December 2017

XXxPrePxX

Hey all,

In the ladder testers forum we have constant debates regarding map listing, point systems, and other general things.
I'd like to just inform everyone of the changes we agreed on for the ladder month of December 2017.

1) Point system is completely re-hauled
For December 2017 we have a new point system calculation that will hopefully bring a more competitive environment to the ladder. Most notably:

• Players will now lose points based on points/rating
  • Players will now win a large percentage of their points based on their ranking and opponents ranking. This part is a very similiar calculation to the old WOL formula.
  • We turned down the percentage of points gained based on rating, making it easier for players to start out.

These points can be further seen by the following calculation:

winner points = wol + rp + rElo
loser points = (negative) wol + rElo
rp = (Enemy rating * Ally rating) / 230000
rElo = elo(Enemy rating, Ally rating)
wol = 1/(10 ^ (ladder points difference)/600) +1)
cap: you can't lose more than 10% of your points in one game.
guard: If you lose to someone who has less than 10 games, then  wol  = wol * (enemy games/10)

2) Did away with the Masters/Contenders league

You will no longer see a distinction between these two ladders. We are all one family again. 

3) Map list rotated. 

Check this topic for the Yuri's Revenge map updates here: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/7843-december-quick-match-map-pool/.
Note that happy trails is now in QM with crates ENABLED. If you are not happy with crates being on, please feel free to veto the map. 

This was added to add to the spirit of the holidays. ?

Please feel free to post any observations / criticisms you have. Remember, this ladder is still in trial mode. 

Edited by Grant
Formatting
  • Like 2

These points can be further seen by the following calculation:

winner points = wol + rp + rElo
loser points = (negative) wol + rElo
rp = (Enemy rating * Ally rating) / 230000
rElo = elo(Enemy rating, Ally rating)
wol = 1/(10 ^ (ladder points difference)/600) +1)
cap: you can't lose more than 10% of your points in one game.
guard: If you lose to someone who has less than 10 games, then  wol  = wol * (enemy games/10)

I dont understand the meanings of "wol, rp, relo". 

Sorry -- good point, these are terms that were talked about in the ladder thread, let me elaborate:

rp = calculation based off of rating points. You can see that rp = (rating1*rating2)/230,000. Every player in the ladder has a rating (that correlates to the badge you see on the ladder). This rating ranges from something like 1100 to 1500 (1500 being best). Now, when you match someone, that is how rp is calculated. Rating1*rating2/230,000. 

In the previous month, the denominator of 230,000 was more like 120,000 so we saw a MUCH larger impact coming from rating calculation. We saw this with new players gaining +8 for the first win, while top rated players we're gaining +35 for being 0 point players. 

WOL = wol points is essentially the same system from www.xwis.net/xcl and the old WOL ladder. There is a topic on XWIS here: http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/69485-yr-points-system/

I made a slight variation to the WOL points by instead of having an exponent denominator of 400, I placed it to 600 to better reflect CNCNet point system.

relo can be calculated from here : https://ratings.fide.com/calculator_rtd.phtml where I think the kvalue is 40.

Overall the total points won comes from all 3 of these. 

• Like 1

• Grant pinned and featured this topic
  • 8 months later...