What are your favourite maps on cnc1?

chem

Which do you think are the best? (in terms of enjoyment, balance, looks, etc) 

What maps would you like to see "ported" from other rts games e.g. RA1, sup com, total annihilation, starcraft etc to cnc 1?

(not an important question just thought it would be good to get an idea of what maps the pros and most knowledgeable members liked/respected the most , so I can get an idea on how to design my maps, same for what maps youd like to see imported or remade from other games)

I watched a video where some pros were hating on "injustice" but much preferred bush lands and I see why,  its well balanced and allows for more diverse tactics and the proper "meta" 

Edited by chem
  • Confused 1

Other games don't really fit into c&c. This is because of the game mechanics in general.

Often, the map is intended for the balance that the armies have.

Maybe the dune series can have some input. They are mechanically the same.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, X3M said:

Other games don't really fit into c&c. This is because of the game mechanics in general.

Often, the map is intended for the balance that the armies have.

Maybe the dune series can have some input. They are mechanically the same.

Thankyou, I have made a new map just a random free hand style map I like the way it looks (needs a  few edits b4 it looks properly done) but overall im happy with how it will look.

But how can I make it more FUN to play?  What makes a map ENJOYABLE? Exciting ? Fresh?

yuytkk.jpg

Edited by chem
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That map looks good since it is random. It is new and shows interesting terrain.

The only issue that each new map has is the balance. Which is needed for fun.

I think suggestions for modifications should drop in for that map.

I got some. But await others first.

• Thanks 1

There are a lot of variables in that question, everyone has different preferences in what they like in a map. Depends if there a Nod or GDI player or both also depends on what tactics they use. Personally I like realistic maps even If its not 100 balanced, I have always struggled to make maps that suites everyone then again I always liked the challenge

Blu

• Sad 2

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, chem said:

Thankyou, I have made a new map just a random free hand style map I like the way it looks (needs a  few edits b4 it looks properly done) but overall im happy with how it will look.

But how can I make it more FUN to play?  What makes a map ENJOYABLE? Exciting ? Fresh?

yuytkk.jpg

This map is the kind I like, Well done Chem you will always be the one true map master of TD.

Blu

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BluySY said:

This map is the kind I like, Well done Chem you will always be the one true map master of TD.

Blu

Thanks brother lmao, its a bit ugly at the moment with the lousy tiberium and blossom tree lay out but will look better soon, its fun just to have no plan what so ever and just go with the flow and make a map as you go along.

Edited by chem
  • Upvote 1

Position 3 has a bad spot. Either put some tiberium in its backyard. Or remove the position.
Position 0 has the best spot. Look at all those blossom tree's. And only 2 choke points.

4 and 5 will be fighting, 2 and 3 will be fighting.

Where is 1?

I think that if you make this a 4 player map and shift a bit the balance in tiberium and blossom tree's. Then this map is good to go.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AchromicWhite said:

Wait... is there an A-10 just in the middle of the map? O.o

xD I was enthused at the idea of A10's at the time, I was hoping he would at least do a fly by, but Nygurds who is in charge of air traffic control said he couldn't fly (due to some super sonic cargo planes in the area)

Well spotted !!

Edited by chem

15 hours ago, Myg said:

Looks nice but probably doesnt play that well (not fair).

It is very much like some westwood maps.

Fairness is a cornerstone of fun.

Very true, what ive done to counter this problem is have everyone start in the middle at a central point, then its up to the players to drive to which ever spot they feel is best for that game, the more popular over powered spots are heavily fought for and busy, the less powerful spots have less mcv traffic xD

That to me is a good way to balance an inherently unfair map, because then the spot choices are down to the players and not chance, and everyone has an equal chance for the best and worst places. Also not many maps like that exists so its something different.

What do you think of that as a way to solve it?

Edited by chem

20 hours ago, chem said:

Very true, what ive done to counter this problem is have everyone start in the middle at a central point, then its up to the players to drive to which ever spot they feel is best for that game, the more popular over powered spots are heavily fought for and busy, the less powerful spots have less mcv traffic xD

That to me is a good way to balance an inherently unfair map, because then the spot choices are down to the players and not chance, and everyone has an equal chance for the best and worst places. Also not many maps like that exists so its something different.

What do you think of that as a way to solve it?

It is a way, not a perfect fix, but an attempt. Those kind of setups do have their own downsides.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/27/2018 at 12:27 PM, Myg said:

It is a way, not a perfect fix, but an attempt. Those kind of setups do have their own downsides.

Yeah, it can become imbalanced in other ways if you choose this route. Similarly to how having crates on imbalanced the game.

Everyone CAN get a good crate, but not everyone WILL etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Made a new map with low tiberium that has proven to be very popular and a big hit with everyone that played it, we played it all night, the same map over and over, no one disliked it and everyone just kept playing and wanting to replay it. Lots of people say they liked it.

That's the 1st time no 1 complained about low tiberium that's a shocker, normally everyone bar a few rare indivuals complain when their isn't bucket loads of tiberium on the map!

The problem is it seemed to heavily favour nod despite GDI having an easy to defend weapons factory base and the ability to use troops for the most part.  The turrets lazers and general versatility and cheapness of nod dominated and everyone ended up being nod it was all nod games. Thisd is very bad obviously. How can I get more balance for the GDI players without changing it too much?

rtjyjtyjyjjtyjy.jpg

Or are the GDI players just not used to the low money meta? I saw no one go orca and barracks, just meds adv guard towers anders and barracks, which seemed to be no match for turrets, ssm, lazers, flamers, bikes and light tanks .

Edited by chem
  • Like 1

I'm kinda surprised that people could tech all the way to SSM, but maybe that's just that some people are left alone during a FFA.

I think the way that GDI works benefits from being able to access tiberium, especially early on. You can make quite a few refs and then quickly spend the income be making a few barracks.
If you play a "nod style" and go strait to vehicles, they pretty much all build slower.

I'd think that AGTs would work quite well on a map like this, but I do think that turrets are the best defence for their price. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 5 months later...

I really like the first (green) map!

It has enough diversity/challenge to make it fun.

For me a map has to be reallistic/surprising to be fun. I don't play symmetrical maps that lack immagination, it kinda spoils the feeling of the game, makes it too mechanical and dull.