Into the Ravine (2-6)

eliteGi

I've not been here long at all and I've noticed you do this on several occasions. You look at the map preview and crticise / make assumptions from there in quite a few threads. The reality is that you don't play a map from a preview and quite frankly the renderer isn't perfect.

I'm all for feedback but even that feedback - I detailed it like tgat intentionally to keep it fairly natural and clean. It's based on terrain where I live....

• Upvote 1

i think u over did it abit with the oils 1 oil each would be more than enough with all of that gold and gems
also the Left side looks abit closer to each other than the right one which makes helping ur teamm8 alot faster on the left side than it is on the right one
Gj tho the map looks nice

Edited by DoDger

10 minutes ago, DoDger said:

i think u over did it abit with the oils 1 oil each would be more than enough with all of that gold and gems
also the Left side looks abit closer to each other than the right one which makes helping ur teamm8 alot faster on the left side than it is on the right one
Gj tho the map looks nice

The right side has slightly more access to resources and proximity to centre island so that was a trade-off I had in mind. Also each player does have 1 oil derrick, with the bottom and top tussling over an extra one which is in a vulnerable choke point. ?

I like it a lot based on preview. It has a very WOL ish feel to it with the high amount of oils spread out and good gems/ore. It's somewhat like Death trap in a way. It's a nice 3on3 map. Might be more even if it was 4on4 with all the ore/gems/oil there, but overall very cool map.

3 hours ago, eliteGi said:

I detailed it like tgat intentionally to keep it fairly natural and clean. It's based on terrain where I live....

You could have started with this.

3 hours ago, eliteGi said:

I've not been here long at all and I've noticed you do this on several occasions. You look at the map preview and crticise / make assumptions from there in quite a few threads. The reality is that you don't play a map from a preview and quite frankly the renderer

I've been making maps since 2003 and played competitively since 2004, which means I have a lot of experience in regards to making maps and playing them.
When I look at the map preview I look for common key issues and imagine playing a game on it. 

If you can't take constructive criticism you won't get far with anything.

4 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

You could have started with this.

I've been making maps since 2003 and played competitively since 2004, which means I have a lot of experience in regards to making maps and playing them.
When I look at the map preview I look for common key issues and imagine playing a game on it. 

If you can't take constructive criticism you won't get far with anything.

My job mainly consists of giving others feedback and criticism, so it riles me when someone gives purely negative feedback.

The other comments from the otger guys are fine, and to an extent I agree - but again I designed the map to be large and plentiful. Dont call it bland though because that was intentional design based on real terrain.

No need to tell me your credentials or 'pull rank' i have been using the editor for longer.

Why not encourage map makers instead of trying to impose yourself? Dont you have any meaningful way of imposing authority in the real world?

Feels like need a bit more detailisation. Actually this map looks unfinished.

I'd suggest to make non-flat ramps on the left, at least one of them.

Left side also looks like have advantage with these wider passes between players, compared to right side. Make ramps on the right side at least 2 cells wider. As DoDger mentioned, right side now has too narrow paths for players helping each other (red arrows).

Bottom player (left side team) can easily camp on the hill, while the top one (right side team) can't. I think you must add a ramp on the top hill (pink).

Also with these changes necessary to move top border to 2-3 cells more top. To give more freedom to the top player to make him able to camp on the cliff in the same way as the bottom one and make access to his base more convinient for his teammates. (Yellow).

The right border also might be necessary to move on 2-3 cells, not sure about it.

1526403037_IntotheRavine.thumb.jpg.177d6f84a0c2b260fbee47fb6b216c32.jpg

With these changes map would have a real chance to be added to official CnCNet maps I guess. Please do this map more perfect, we all want to play it.

• Upvote 1

Here's a screenshot of what is the largest plain in the preview... and at least to my eye this does not look unfinished or bland. But maybe it's just me? Keep in mind the map is more detailed everywhere else - this is the largest plain.

Anyway, as for the map in general it didn't turn out the way I'd hoped in creation - I didn't really stick to my original idea. So don't really think I want to make adjustments purely on the basis that editing cliffs once they are made is more effort than it's worth in this scenario. But thanks for the feedback Ezer. I think the map would play well though, purely on the fact that the right side has easier access to the middle island and they are better situated to the choke points. You talked about bottom left having the cliff advantage but top right has the closest access to the middle island derricks and gems. Not all maps have to be strictly tournament style, sometimes the fun in maps is playing around the little niches.

Untitled.png

2 hours ago, eliteGi said:

My job mainly consists of giving others feedback and criticism, so it riles me when someone gives purely negative feedback.

What riles me is the fact how emotional you're getting over this.

I felt exactly the same way as you do when I went to show off my maps on PPM site... (it's where all the experienced modders reside)
While I was under the impression that I put my all in my maps, I'm guessing you feel the same.

2 hours ago, eliteGi said:

Dont call it bland though because that was intentional design based on real terrain.

Here's why I called it bland...

• Square shaped cliffs, but the cliff tiles are not repetitive so that's great, not many map makers get this right in their first 10 maps.
  • Long lines and straight angles on slopes
  • Same as above but with terrain tiling such as dark grass and sand.
  • While your idea to replicate natural look of an area might be on the right track, the implementation looks very artificial.

I will not reply to your thread anymore though, I kept this post nice and civil so you can sleep at night.

1 hour ago, FReQuEnZy said:

Here's why I called it bland...

• Square shaped cliffs, but the cliff tiles are not repetitive so that's great, not many map makers get this right in their first 10 maps.
  • Long lines and straight angles on slopes
  • Same as above but with terrain tiling such as dark grass and sand.
  • While your idea to replicate natural look of an area might be on the right track, the implementation looks very artificial.

I will not reply to your thread anymore though, I kept this post nice and civil so you can sleep at night.

I agree with the square shaped cliffs - could have spent more time detailing there for sure! My intent was to actually keep it unskinned with square cliffs to test it online - but couldn't get 6 in a game so I played a couple of AI games and then just skinned it after shaping some of the cliffs.

Having re-read the thread whilst in a better frame of mind I realise I was being a drama queen. I was in a negative environment earlier so I blame that ;) . Sorry, I do appreciate the feedback

That's great, take everyone's feedback and make something out of it.
They all covered everything I was going to say in the first post anyway, but was too tired and didn't want to overload you either.

I was only looking at this map and posting feedback, because I wanted it to be a bit better before I add it to the next update for YR's CnCNet client.

• Like 1