Dearest Tiberiansun Players...

Radian

Dearest Tiberiansun CnCNet Players,

Command & Conquer: Tiberiansun was first released on August 20, 1999. I first purchased the game very soon after release. Interestingly, I enjoyed the Firestorm expansion released March 7, 2000, even more. Man, those next few years were great. I started a clan, created a website and joined as webmaster and content creator for many more. I ran IRC networks and servers for my clan and TS/FS friends (if you didn't know the original WOL (Westwood On Line) was IRC). I developed several map/tools/strategy guides/modding database/etc. websites and tons more. I supported Sean at XWIS and several other independent servers. I even successfully infiltrated and damaged Ty/Revolt/Lurker90k/several others efforts to make the game miserable for everyday players (I eventually became friends with most them). I still play TS to this day 20 years later, and really enjoy it. I forgot to mention, and perhaps this will be important later, I also have the bragging rights of being ranked 1 for many months in a row and so was my clan on the classic WOL tournaments.

As silly as this sounds, I wish to address the modern day Pro's of TS.

1. As much as we hate playing with newbies, the only way the fun will continue is if newbies get enough time to learn and play with the pro's. I want you all to stop kicking and banning them and start teaching them. It's stupid to not play with the newbies. Also, if you're playing against a newbie, go easy and play around with them. Give them challenges and be a mentor. If you don't they'll all rage quit and never show up again. I want to play TS well into the future, don't you all want to keep it going too?

2. To the Pro's especially, stop rage quitting when the outcome of the game looks bleak for you or your team. You really ruin the game for everyone else. Hold out and let them take you out all the way. If you surrender before you've even experienced a real attack because your allies got wiped out, you're a coward and a sore loser. Challenge your opponents all the way until the end.

3. Going back to when I was the highest ranked and best player, and leader of the highest ranked and best clan on TS/FS: Stop criticizing other well established players for their tactical and strategical decisions (and stop being an angry child about it!). If I don't build SAMS on Giants in a rear position because I am engaging in a 100% proven statistical strategy and build order, it's probably because my 100% offensive strategy wins the most games. Sometimes it doesn't, that's no reason to be personally mad at me. No one ever cares when I'm doing the same thing on your team and we win.

I'll give you my spare MCV all day, but stop blaming people when you got scouted and cc/dizzy rushed within 30 sec. Rocket men and EMP have been proven for Nod against GDI for over 20 years... Give me a break.

I can explain how and why I play the way I do. Mole40k has an excellent .PDF guide for new to intermediate players on tactics and build orders. When I am playing pro's in a 4v4, my win rate is still over 75% as a Nod player, and that percentage is being generous to being on the losing side.

4. BE GRATEFUL. CnCNet dev's are composed of people who genuinely love C&C games. It's free, for anyone who wants to play. Not only that, but TS/FS/RA/RA2/etc. is still super fun compared to today's modern games. We should all be keeping it going, introducing it to random other people, playing with new newbies and giving them the same enjoyment we experienced when we started playing. We really should be spreading cncnet.org around everywhere and anytime we can. Today's newbies are tomorrows potential pro's.

5. Be nice to people online. I mean come on people, If you started playing this game as a kid, you've got to be an adult now. It is perfectly OK to get to know the players online today, share email's and a IM info. It's only going to make playing TS online a better time.

If anyone wants to chime in, please feel free. I know I am not the only one who wants to engage in this conversation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I plated TS when it was released way back.......... you still had the same issues then. Custom maps so players could gain points to climb up the WW leader board. Players that went for the quick build and sell tactic to get a disruptor tank via carryall to the enemy base. Then quickly win. Great game, shame the editor didn't allow for adding strings ect, otherwise id of written more missions for it. I don't think your ever going to change the way some players approach these games, but will say this, when people get tired of unfair or ruthless gameplay, they move on. When that happens the numbers of players get reduced, and the game stops being played. I feel your best bet is to find a group with a similar gameplay style to your own, and stick with that group, hopefully pulling in new players on the way. 

I don't play online, no time for it, rather be making stuff to keep the new content going and hopefully keep people interested.

There are players with the values your seeking out there, best of luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Concolor1 said:

I don't play online, no time for it, rather be making stuff to keep the new content going and hopefully keep people interested.

Can I ask on what kind of "new content" you work on... such as - new features, - new units, - ladder, - ranking system perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Radian,

The only way fun will continue is for Tiberian Sun to get a server controlled by an intellectually competent TS player. Someone who understands the game, understands the basics of reality, etc. Otherwise every issue that matters will be addressed by people who don't care enough to realize they're being swayed by the delusions of a select few individuals in which have stifled progress at every turn. Someone being in charge who hears people out but ignores people who make arguments that the game "is supposed to be unfair".. That way the game can be developed into something complete with fair/balanced game play and competitive elements that cater to the majority rather than a handful of cheaters. Only then will it be worth anyone's time to take efforts to develop new players. 

Furthermore, I don't think playing with "newb" players is really the problem. The problem is playing with utterly and completely inept players. That applies to people who have been playing for all 22 years of this games history. For example, I'd rather play with an actual day 1 player that has an IQ over 100 and listens than someone that has been playing for 20 years and refuses to acknowledge the relevance of countering infantry, refuses to be alert, refuses to communicate, etc. And what I, and pretty much everyone else who has tried to interact with inexperienced players has found.. is what I just described applies to pretty much everyone who has tried this game out in the last 15 years. The noobs don't listen and aren't willing to try or put in even rudimentary effort. They want instant gratification.. If that wasn't the case then they wouldn't need us to teach them the absolute basics of the game.. They would explore the game and figure it out for themselves like we did. All we can do is provide experience for people who put in the effort to figure out the basics.. And pretty much everyone who at least knows the basics of the game is allowed to play in pro games outside of anytime there are 4 high level players on at the same time in the last 3-4 years. And of those people, the amount that don't get offended and start raging out at you anytime you give them advice is maybe 1 out of 50. 

Basically, the game needs fresh players that aren't 30+ year olds and/or extremally weird people. The only way new players can be gotten is with a completed game and a functional server that provides appropriate elements of competition. Unfortunately the people on cncnet think competition is stupid and doesn't make sense.. despite the fact that they are hosting a PVP REAL TIME STRATEGY GAME... so like I said, until someone makes a TS server that understands the basics of reality at least nobody is going to complete the game to a point where it's worth investing advertising dollars into it in order to let people know it exists. Even many old school players don't know about cncnet which is evident every time westwood gets in the news somehow (remasters etc.) you will see hundreds of people saying things such as "I used to love these games I wish I could play them again" on reddit or other social media outlets.

I totally disagree with your second point.. I can't stand people who don't quit when a game is obviously over... When you have no chance of winning and you keep playing for an extra 10 minutes just to force them to clear out every last one of your trash buildings is 10 minutes that you could have started and played an entire other game. I got to a point where I would just surrender after I KO people provided that they didn't have a counter rush due to people like trooper/tiger dragging games out until they were short gamed.. Those two and a handful of others caused countless nights of only getting 10 games in with when we could have gotten 20. Literally half our time wasted with washing power plants and component towers on dead bases. 

point 3. Lol @ addressing the complaining of giants players. But to be fair, your strategy is off if you aren't building air defense on a map where the only effective attack is via air units. But being concerned about the opinions of people who can't defend a 1 ref on a map that has infinite money and power is kinda weird. All they have to do is never stop clicking on rocket infantry and your 1 ref is moot and they can just swarm you with chem missiles and banshees while you fail to have air defense. Granted I've been undefeated 1v1 on giants since the day I discovered cncnet just via 1 refing people.. despite revealing to them the secret of rocket infantry on multiple occasions.. Which kinda goes back to what I was saying earlier about not listening, focusing on the game, etc.

Point 4. I just can't be grateful to them.. I'd like to be.. but they are people who see this game as a glorified chat room rather than a competitive PVP RTS game. I'd rather the game have 0 active servers than be controlled by the people behind cncnet. Quite frankly, cncnet existing demotivates anyone who would potentially do things correctly from doing do due to cncnet existing and having (or had..) a player base already using it. Making something else would split the player base.

Trash talk is a part of online gaming. Especially in  ones where the object of the game is to "kill" your opponent. Getting people angry makes them play sloppy or entices them to play at all where they previously wouldn't. But again, we are talking about really below average people here who view anything except praise, utter acknowledgment, and agreement with their opinions as an insult. It's impossible for me to have a positive relationship with a person whom I have to stay silent around because correcting any of their never ending spew of illogical comments would result in them having an emotional breakdown. 

TL:DR... You are asking for the impossible. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Check 1

13 hours ago, Avesta said:

Hi Radian,

The only way fun will continue is for Tiberian Sun to get a server controlled by an intellectually competent TS player. Someone who understands the game, understands the basics of reality, etc. Otherwise every issue that matters will be addressed by people who don't care enough to realize they're being swayed by the delusions of a select few individuals in which have stifled progress at every turn. Someone being in charge who hears people out but ignores people who make arguments that the game "is supposed to be unfair".. That way the game can be developed into something complete with fair/balanced game play and competitive elements that cater to the majority rather than a handful of cheaters. Only then will it be worth anyone's time to take efforts to develop new players. 

Furthermore, I don't think playing with "newb" players is really the problem. The problem is playing with utterly and completely inept players. That applies to people who have been playing for all 22 years of this games history. For example, I'd rather play with an actual day 1 player that has an IQ over 100 and listens than someone that has been playing for 20 years and refuses to acknowledge the relevance of countering infantry, refuses to be alert, refuses to communicate, etc. And what I, and pretty much everyone else who has tried to interact with inexperienced players has found.. is what I just described applies to pretty much everyone who has tried this game out in the last 15 years. The noobs don't listen and aren't willing to try or put in even rudimentary effort. They want instant gratification.. If that wasn't the case then they wouldn't need us to teach them the absolute basics of the game.. They would explore the game and figure it out for themselves like we did. All we can do is provide experience for people who put in the effort to figure out the basics.. And pretty much everyone who at least knows the basics of the game is allowed to play in pro games outside of anytime there are 4 high level players on at the same time in the last 3-4 years. And of those people, the amount that don't get offended and start raging out at you anytime you give them advice is maybe 1 out of 50. 

Basically, the game needs fresh players that aren't 30+ year olds and/or extremally weird people. The only way new players can be gotten is with a completed game and a functional server that provides appropriate elements of competition. Unfortunately the people on cncnet think competition is stupid and doesn't make sense.. despite the fact that they are hosting a PVP REAL TIME STRATEGY GAME... so like I said, until someone makes a TS server that understands the basics of reality at least nobody is going to complete the game to a point where it's worth investing advertising dollars into it in order to let people know it exists. Even many old school players don't know about cncnet which is evident every time westwood gets in the news somehow (remasters etc.) you will see hundreds of people saying things such as "I used to love these games I wish I could play them again" on reddit or other social media outlets.

I totally disagree with your second point.. I can't stand people who don't quit when a game is obviously over... When you have no chance of winning and you keep playing for an extra 10 minutes just to force them to clear out every last one of your trash buildings is 10 minutes that you could have started and played an entire other game. I got to a point where I would just surrender after I KO people provided that they didn't have a counter rush due to people like trooper/tiger dragging games out until they were short gamed.. Those two and a handful of others caused countless nights of only getting 10 games in with when we could have gotten 20. Literally half our time wasted with washing power plants and component towers on dead bases. 

point 3. Lol @ addressing the complaining of giants players. But to be fair, your strategy is off if you aren't building air defense on a map where the only effective attack is via air units. But being concerned about the opinions of people who can't defend a 1 ref on a map that has infinite money and power is kinda weird. All they have to do is never stop clicking on rocket infantry and your 1 ref is moot and they can just swarm you with chem missiles and banshees while you fail to have air defense. Granted I've been undefeated 1v1 on giants since the day I discovered cncnet just via 1 refing people.. despite revealing to them the secret of rocket infantry on multiple occasions.. Which kinda goes back to what I was saying earlier about not listening, focusing on the game, etc.

Point 4. I just can't be grateful to them.. I'd like to be.. but they are people who see this game as a glorified chat room rather than a competitive PVP RTS game. I'd rather the game have 0 active servers than be controlled by the people behind cncnet. Quite frankly, cncnet existing demotivates anyone who would potentially do things correctly from doing do due to cncnet existing and having (or had..) a player base already using it. Making something else would split the player base.

Trash talk is a part of online gaming. Especially in  ones where the object of the game is to "kill" your opponent. Getting people angry makes them play sloppy or entices them to play at all where they previously wouldn't. But again, we are talking about really below average people here who view anything except praise, utter acknowledgment, and agreement with their opinions as an insult. It's impossible for me to have a positive relationship with a person whom I have to stay silent around because correcting any of their never ending spew of illogical comments would result in them having an emotional breakdown. 

TL:DR... You are asking for the impossible. 

Well I stand by my statements, and still disagree. You make some great points but I do not share your pessimism. I'll think about a lot of what you said. Mind you, 15 years ago I led an explosion of new people playing and I put real money towards that effort just as a hobby.

I am debating doing it again.

Finally, I disagree that it is impossible. It just takes dedication and friendship, leadership, and community building and I have a lot of experience doing that, so I know it's possible.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Radian said:

Well I stand by my statements, and still disagree. You make some great points but I do not share your pessimism. I'll think about a lot of what you said. Mind you, 15 years ago I led an explosion of new people playing and I put real money towards that effort just as a hobby.

Finally, I disagree that it is impossible. It just takes dedication and friendship, leadership, and community building and I have a lot of experience doing that, so I know it's possible.

I respect you for your determination, best of luck. Stick with it.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 7:58 PM, Radian said:

When I say it's impossible... I make the assumption that there won't be a new server/client developed under the control of a competent TS player. If you proved me wrong nothing would make me happier. 

But you wont. (especially considering YOU are one of the many people who've raged out over getting called out for not countering infantry)... I have as much confidence in you reviving TS as I have in TRZ/Corps/Honda/Ender. Without getting into an utter flame war.. You lack virtually every area of importance required for leadership other than the skill of the game. 

Edited by Avesta
  • Sad 1

On 6/25/2022 at 3:00 AM, Avesta said:

I'd rather play with an actual day 1 player that has an IQ over 100 and listens

....to you.   Yes, I know you would.

what it needs is fewer autocratic, arrogant, elitist, intolerant, straight up abusive people. 

we enjoy playing as we play, if you don't like how we play,  play with those you enjoy playing with.

for instance, you are not enjoyable to be around, and I do not enjoy playing with you, so I don't.

Leave us alone, and let us just enjoy ourselves. I assure you , when you are not around I really, really enjoy playing TS 

Especially when i forget you even exist...........

As for the game itself, and those players who are enjoyable to be around   regardless   of how they play.  >>>>>>    I love it just like it is.

The only way fun will continue is for Tiberian Sun to get a server controlled by an intellectually competent TS player. Someone who understands the game, understands the basics of reality, etc. Otherwise every issue that matters will be addressed by people who don't care enough to realize they're being swayed by the delusions of a select few individuals

in which have stifled progress at every turn. Someone being in charge who hears people out but ignores people who make arguments that the game "is supposed to be unfair"..

That way the game can be developed into something complete with fair/balanced game play and competitive elements that cater to the majority rather than a handful of cheaters.

only then will it be just what >> you << want, 

Those who cheat, mysteriously, miraculously, somehow end up not playing with me..... :) 

I assure you, to me, it is fun now, and has been since it first came out.  filled with people that are enjoyable to be around, and fun to play with.

and if you leave it like it is, it will continue to be.

Trash talk is a part of online gaming. Especially in  ones where the object of the game is to "kill" your opponent. Getting people angry makes them play sloppy or entices them to play at all where they previously wouldn't.

Yes, trash talk aggravates me, and entices me not to interact with those who do it.   

I don't play TS to be made  'angry'  I come play to enjoy my time on this earth

Frankly most of the players, here, don't. and it's not, for the most part, part of my gaming experience on this server.

You know   'gg'  like shaking hands after a match, good sportsmanship  before, and after, 

not vitriolic abuse,  not 'you  idiot piece of noob shit why didn't you....blah blah blah blah......'

Mabey one day you will learn how to 'kill' your opponent in game and not be a totally abusive ,vitriolic ,autocrat, who unloads shit on people the rest of the time 

You intolerant schmuck.

There are billions of people on this planet who find enjoyment in ways different than you.

Thank God it is not like you want it to be here, thank God. 

I am grateful to those  at Cncnet, as I was to those at Xwis, and Radian for your positive contributions to the community here, for the opportunity to keep enjoying this game I so love playing.  Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/28/2022 at 12:41 PM, amokk said:

....to you.   Yes, I know you would.

what it needs is fewer autocratic, arrogant, elitist, intolerant, straight up abusive people. 

we enjoy playing as we play, if you don't like how we play,  play with those you enjoy playing with.

for instance, you are not enjoyable to be around, and I do not enjoy playing with you, so I don't.

Leave us alone, and let us just enjoy ourselves. I assure you , when you are not around I really, really enjoy playing TS 

Especially when i forget you even exist...........

As for the game itself, and those players who are enjoyable to be around   regardless   of how they play.  >>>>>>    I love it just like it is.

only then will it be just what >> you << want, 

Those who cheat, mysteriously, miraculously, somehow end up not playing with me..... :) 

I assure you, to me, it is fun now, and has been since it first came out.  filled with people that are enjoyable to be around, and fun to play with.

and if you leave it like it is, it will continue to be.

Yes, trash talk aggravates me, and entices me not to interact with those who do it.   

I don't play TS to be made  'angry'  I come play to enjoy my time on this earth

Frankly most of the players, here, don't. and it's not, for the most part, part of my gaming experience on this server.

You know   'gg'  like shaking hands after a match, good sportsmanship  before, and after, 

not vitriolic abuse,  not 'you  idiot piece of noob shit why didn't you....blah blah blah blah......'

Mabey one day you will learn how to 'kill' your opponent in game and not be a totally abusive ,vitriolic ,autocrat, who unloads shit on people the rest of the time 

You intolerant schmuck.

There are billions of people on this planet who find enjoyment in ways different than you.

Thank God it is not like you want it to be here, thank God. 

I am grateful to those  at Cncnet, as I was to those at Xwis, and Radian for your positive contributions to the community here, for the opportunity to keep enjoying this game I so love playing.  Thank you!

Didnt read

• 2 months later...