CY repack glitch

weaveR

It is a know issue. If you build a shared building (like CYs, or Helipads), you will only be able to build stuff from your faction. In the CY repack, you are just building an CY again, so you will get only stuff from your faction.

Yeah, there's nothing you can do about that. Once you deploy an MCV, you're just "building a construction yard". It's the same reason that in RA1, you don't get enemy tech by capturing an enemy construction yard and building a weapons factory "with it". There's nothing left to tell the game that weapons factory should be enemy tech; you just built it.

And yet that's not even a stock feature

you have to modify the rules to get it anyway.

And whats so bad about RA anyway? Ok so some of the online gameplay is quite dull *cough* P4 *cough* but some of it is much fun and many singleplayer missions are often gripping and fun.

Yeah, there's nothing you can do about that. Once you deploy an MCV, you're just "building a construction yard". It's the same reason that in RA1, you don't get enemy tech by capturing an enemy construction yard and building a weapons factory "with it". There's nothing left to tell the game that weapons factory should be enemy tech; you just built it.

i think it works in RA1 single player though, same for CNC.

I hope it goes same for multiplayer if it can be fixed.

yet another reason I've always hated RA.................

But that is C&C95...  :huh:

No, he meant the War Factory thing I mentioned. In C&C95, capturing an enemy CY gives access to the full enemy tech tree (besides helis and superweapons), while in RA, capturing an enemy CY doesn't even give you their vehicles.

i think it works in RA1 single player though, same for CNC.

I hope it goes same for multiplayer if it can be fixed.

Uhh, what? No it doesn't. An MCV retains no information whatsoever about which side it originally belonged to, and deploying it is just "building a new Construction Yard", which just gives your own tech. ONLY captured buildings, and unique production facilities of another side built with a captured CY, give you enemy tech.

Yup. Totally impossible without adding a new unit and adapting a crapload of internal logics for it. I don't even know how capturing works, internally. I have no idea exactly what it is that makes a captured building remember which side it originally belonged to.

That, and MCV deploying has a bug where the power isn't adapted correctly: the Power Used value is somehow added twice when an MCV deploys, but only subtracted once when the building is removed. For now, I removed its power usage altogether, because it adds ghost power usage whenever an MCV is removed from the map, be it by capturing, selling, destroying or undeploying.

It also meant there was a difference in power usage between preplaced and deployed construction yards  O_o

In RA1 a bit flag is used to check if you can build a 'buildable', it checks a side bitflag set on the data for every player. I think C&C95 changes that bitflag after you capture an enemy CY. Does C&C1 DOS have the same behavior?

EDIT: I figured out how to make both sides' stuff buildable with some memory patching. I need to be able to check if an enemy CY has been captured for it to be useful though.

Maybe sharing of tech was removed for that game mode setup?

Iran, in C&C95 there is a simple way to do that using the side= in the ini settings. It's something that actually works in multiplayer but its such a game breaking issue we don't even talk about it unless we need to mention it.

I was talking about patching ra95 so after capturing an enemy CY you get all the tech from an enemy side, even after losing that CY.

It's possible for me to add that now but it's a bit tedious, basically need to find a way to check if you captured an enemy team's CY then set your country flag to a new one that's actually invalid (like 0x20) then patch the code that checks your country/side when checking for stuff you can build so it works with value 0x20.

The figuring out if you captured an enemy CY is the only hard part though, unless the "current country" flag is used in more places and setting it to 0x20 crashes stuff.

Yeeah, I really don't see the point in keeping the tech. If you conquer an enemy building, it's only logical you need to defend it.

Does C&C1 DOS have the same behavior?

DOS C&C and C&C95 are completely identical in actual game engine, Iran.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

in C&C95 there is a simple way to do that using the side= in the ini settings. It's something that actually works in multiplayer but its such a game breaking issue we don't even talk about it unless we need to mention it.

i think it's a nice undocumented feature, but of course you should only use it when you have agreed upon using it with your would-be opponents... do it without telling them, and it's cheating.

Maybe cncnet launcher could include this as something out in the open, so nobody could get surprised by it anymore? maybe even some kind of check for the Host, which either prohibits or allows this setting for the players? something like that... i'm sometimes astonished how few people know about it, when back in the 90s that was the way we usually played Multiplayer.

It makes sense to couple it with the "seperate helicopter purchase" option, so you can actually choose which kind of helis you want to build instead of always getting Apaches (iirc), having to sell them on your repair bay, so you can build an orca, etc...