What would you want to see in a mini-campaign?

Jeod

Hello, I'm designing a mini-campaign for TD that will have twelve missions. Right now it's 7 Nod, 5 GDI, but it could be changed to 6/6 depending on plot development. But plot development isn't what I'm asking about. I want to know what kinds of things you want in a mini-campaign. What would make you want to play it? What are your favorite types of missions? Have a look at the missions outline below and please reply with what you envision when you think about the mission summary. I also attached the first mission in this campaign. It's nearly complete, save for one or two bugs.

Hey Tore, any way to add a spoilers tag to the forums? Makes adding long stuff like below easier, as it's collapsible then.

C&C95 Campaign – Time Warp

The Brotherhood of Nod has developed a functioning time machine and will use it to alter the course of the First Tiberium War. There will be twelve missions in the campaign, all with varied (but progressive) difficulty. Some missions even have tricks in order to “change” difficulty.

Nod Mission 1: Time Warp

The first mission is moderately difficult. The player must protect a research facility for 20 minutes, all while GDI sends wave after wave of units of all kind to attack. The mission starts with crisis management, as GDI units quickly close in on the Nod base, which has minimal defenses. The research center should be blocked off from ground entry as fast as possible. GDI APC reinforcements will attack with engineers inside, and they will try to capture the lab. SAM sites should also be built, to prevent Orca attacks.

Nod Mission 2: Waking Egypt (possible redesign—rendezvous with Kane)

The second mission is relatively easy, but can be failed due to the one harvester and its ability to squish units. Using the lone engineer to capture the Refinery while the harvester is inside will clear up the problem.

Nod Mission 3: Estonia Uprising (GDI mission 2)

This mission is a throwback to the first and second GDI missions. This time, the player must defend and destroy all GDI landing parties. Moderate difficulties due to the low build level.

Nod Mission 4: Ukraine Onslaught (GDI mission 5)

With Latvia and Lithuania under secure control and free from GDI assault, Nod can focus all attacking forces on Ukraine, which GDI originally defended successfully in the original timeline. However, since GDI failed to invade through Estonia, defenses are beefed up in Ukraine.

Nod Mission 5: The Mobius Factor (GDI mission 8b)

Nod’s next target is Dr. Moebius, famed Tiberium researcher who is currently designing a counterweapon to Nod’s nuclear missile. He is based in Slovakia, where two GDI bases protect his lab. The objective is to destroy the hospital and technology center, and capture the biolab.

Nod Mission 6: The River Danube

The obelisks will take care of the gunboats easily, but GDI ground forces are the main problem. Nod must defend their territory and keep GDI out of the region so Kane can “negotiate” with Mobius in peace.

Nod Mission 7: Washington Massacre

With GDI weak on its knees, Nod can finally move in on the United States. Washington is GDI’s strongest headquarters, and even though it’s a blue zone, GDI resources are extensive. Nod must destroy all GDI presence in the mission.

GDI MISSIONS BEGIN HERE

There are a total of five GDI missions, the latter half of the twelve missions in the Time Warp campaign. These five missions are meant to be very difficult; the goal is to undo the damage Nod has done to the timeline. Five years after Nod’s destruction and takeover of Washington, Dr. Mobius has come back into GDI hands, and has revealed Nod’s time warp technology. GDI now fights to break through America and use the time machine to set things right.

Time_Warp.zip

Time warp huh?

they using a time machine based on Einstien Chronosphere tech since Tiberian dawn and red alert were connected

Yes, pretty much. Since the briefing window doesn't give a lot of room for plot development, I can't put in too much detail. I'm having to do a lot of research on the First Tib War. As a kid I never paid attention to the plot; I just wanted to blow stuff up.

From what I gather, Nod took over Egypt before GDI invaded Europe. I was going to have Nod defend their position in Egypt first, but an alternative is to have the player show up in the middle of GDI 02 and defend the base that's being blown to bits. GDI's reaction to a sudden Nod presence like that would probably mean a focus on invading from the east, through Ukraine. Thus, Nod Mission 4 (which could become 3). Dr. Mobius is a critical plot device who will lead GDI to discover Nod's hand in this alternate timeline, and the second half of the campaign would shift to a GDI perspective of undoing the damage.

The final mission would be a reverse of Nod Mission 1, where GDI must destroy the technology center within 20 minutes and prevent Nod from even using their time machine. (The mission before the final would be GDI taking control of Nod's time machine from within the alternate timeline and jumping to the original timeline just before Nod uses the time machine).

Again, I'm not asking for plot detail analysis here. I want to know what kind of missions you'd want to play. Traditional Base vs Base? Convoy? Commando only? Any special triggers you'd like to see?

I'm not 100% sure about what tiberian dawn allows you to do (I've got a Red Alert campaign in the making) but its always good to have a variation between missions. (So stuff like build a base to commando infiltration to something else)

Decided to forego Egypt, leaving the mission spread at 6 Nod, 6 GDI. Here's a teaser of the second mission:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/rh0kxw.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/svp5ig.jpg

"You made it through, good. Unfortunately we could only send you a single MCV, but that may be the only catalyst you need. GDI is about to seize control of Estonia. Quietly build a new base on the opposite end of the shore, and wipe out those scoundrels. In the name of Kane!"

In this mission, GDI still gets hovercraft reinforcements, and your build level is so low that you can't build beyond a Comm Center or Engineer. It's a tough mission, especially with the teams GDI creates. Patience is key.

Some tips:

You can add a briefing section in your mission, so the player is able to know what to do.

Sample

[briefing]

1=bla-bla-bla

2=bla-bla-bla

3=bla-bla-bla

4=bla-bla-bla

You can also add manually an authoral line

Author=Jeod

You can clean off the waypoints you're not gonna use (those with -1).

When using the Chinooks you can make a command like this:

A) if the Chinook will unload at waypoint 1

nod1=BadGuy,1,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,2,TRAN:1,E3:5,1,Unload:1,0,0

B) if the Chinook will pass by waypoint 1 and unload at waypoint 2

nod1=BadGuy,1,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,2,TRAN:1,E3:5,2,move:1,Unload:2,0,0

C)as far as I remember, it does not work the same to APCs

nod1=BadGuy,1,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,2,APC:1,E3:5,2,Move:1,Unload:1,0,0    => case A

nod1=BadGuy,1,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,2,APC:1,E3:5,3,Move:1,Move:2,Unload:2,0,0    => case B

This is not 100% sure, but if you need a squad to move non-stop to anything up to the last command (even if they are attacked) you can try "20" in place of "15" in the teamtype line.

Some tips:

You can add a briefing section in your mission, so the player is able to know what to do.

Sample

[briefing]

1=bla-bla-bla

2=bla-bla-bla

3=bla-bla-bla

4=bla-bla-bla

You can also add manually an authoral line

Author=Jeod

You can clean off the waypoints you're not gonna use (those with -1).

When using the Chinooks you can make a command like this:

A) if the Chinook will unload at waypoint 1

nod1=BadGuy,1,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,2,TRAN:1,E3:5,1,Unload:1,0,0

B) if the Chinook will pass by waypoint 1 and unload at waypoint 2

nod1=BadGuy,1,0,0,0,0,7,0,0,0,2,TRAN:1,E3:5,2,move:1,Unload:2,0,0

obs: as far as I remember, it does not work the same to APCs

This is not 100% sure, but if you need a squad to move non-stop to anything up to the last command (even if they are attacked) you can try "20" in place of "15" in the teamtype line.

As said, it's a beta map. No briefing planned yet. I'm not too worried about author lines, either. Nice tip on the chinooks, but since the other method already words I'll go with that. And, for the "20" method, I'd want them to stop and attack anything the player has going to their base.

Thanks, I noticed the APCs GDI made wouldn't store any units. I'll probably reinforce them using chinooks. But that's not an error really, since I don't use the unload command for their teamtype. The problem right now is that GDI's teams don't make it to my base. Sometimes they don't even move to their next waypoint.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if you were still working on this. I just wanted to say, it sounds like a pretty cool idea for a mission pack.

I think 2 part missions are quite cool, like, where you have to do something and then build a base. Kinda like the Stealth tank Nod mission. Also, the GDI one with the gunboats... I almost feel like that mission would be better if you got the MCV as a reinforcement after the turrets are taken out and the gunboats get destroyed.

-Liam

• 3 months later...

I didn't know this was still a 'popular' thing. It's winter break and I'm halfway done with my junior year of college. Busy, busy. I just happened to find these missions still in my C&C95 folder. :)

I'll have a look over them later and see if I can finish this. (I'll also have to see if ol' Nyerguds has made any new toys to play with...)

• 1 month later...

Again, I'm not asking for plot detail analysis here. I want to know what kind of missions you'd want to play. Traditional Base vs Base? Convoy? Commando only? Any special triggers you'd like to see?

Um... I would like to see a Base vs Base but requiring to use various special tactics to succeed because the enemy's tech is just overwhelming. I would like to see a Commando mission but NOT BLOWING UP SAM SITES as that gets kinda annnoying (GDI mission 6) where it would be like a Commando actually taking out a convoy (don't ask me how to do this). Also just normal Base vs Base to bring back the nostalgia lol.

Heh. A base vs base mission with side objectives that allow you to get in? C&C has quite a lot of those, actually. But the Westwood people made the habit of never spelling those things out, so it took the player a few Mission Failed screens to figure it out.

For example, in both variants of the Rescue Moebius missions (#12), you can destroy the enemy base power from the side to disable their Obelisks.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/mappics/campaign-gdi/scg12ea.png

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/mappics/campaign-gdi/scg12eb.png

Not just one trick. There are several ones in that Mobius mission.

Plus the crate. There is a crate :D

I also sold of all things that where not needed.

And I knew the best path for the APC. Yes, even with power, the enemy was doomed.

And the harvester got constantly killed by me too.

A good map has several path's for the player to find out. Although ,the difficulty will be how fast a player might discover these paths.