Useless unit & structures

Zjorz

Good to see some sneaky not often used tactics. I guess everything has a purpose and when it's used infrequently people forget it's power. I'm now thinking ideas with the radar jammer...... double inside base chrono madness.

But nothing can beat the ultra rare chrono'ed mad tank. Pure fear for any player.

Low scroll rates and doesn't use hotkeys properly, yeah. Again, though, only gonna work on people that are new to it. As it's not really a weapon. Even the mobile gap ACTUALLY effects a small skirmish. (Although not well in RA vanilla/AM... seems to work better when the units move around a bit slower).

-Liam

The GAP is also very useful to be hiding anti air. When you fly over, it is already to late.

But in a skirmish with only tanks, it is indeed rather useless. To bad 90% of the players plays that kind of games.

because at the end of the day the best way to counter these strategies is to just build more tanks.

That time you spent building a MGG/Radar Jammer or a whole bunch of other stuff? the other guy built more tanks in that time and can just roll you over with them.

because at the end of the day the best way to counter these strategies is to just build more tanks.

That time you spent building a MGG/Radar Jammer or a whole bunch of other stuff? the other guy built more tanks in that time and can just roll you over with them.

The reaction to anyone trying anything even slightly resembling "strategy" in RA1: "Build More Tanks"  :roll:

I once calculated the squishing costs. It never was added to the tanks as a real weapon.

But every tank (that can squish) gets an additional estimated (5 squishable infantry x 50 average health cost x 7 average H/D ratio x 0,5?rangezero = ) 825.

Just as a joke, someone should mod that. And see what happens?

For more accurate numbers, is there a table of the frames needed for one unit killing another? I could derive the average H/D ratio from that.

For more accurate numbers, is there a table of the frames needed for one unit killing another? I could derive the average H/D ratio from that.

Eh, those "accurate numbers" would require a randomization in the accuracy of the weapons, so not sure if that'd work. I don't know if anyone knows the actual inaccuracy chances and spread radius of the C&C weapons. There's a specific "is inaccurate" flag in C&C1 used on the artillery to make it extra inaccurate, but besides that there's nothing in the actual stats, as far as I know, while most weapons seem to have some level of inaccuracy. Knowing C&C, this might actually be hardcoded per weapon.

Squishing units has accuracy 100%, I know that ;)

I am also aware of every possible factor.

The worth of a weapon in most games:

[splash average factor] x [Accuracy] x [Damage average unit] x ( 1 + average [Damage]/[Health] ratio x Range ) x [Health]/[Damage] ratio x [ROF]/[ROF average] ratio

+ ( The first shot effect, which is )

[splash average factor] x [Accuracy] x [Damage average unit] x ( 1 + average [Damage]/[Health] ratio x Range )

For suicide units, they only use the first shot effect.

For weapons that need to charge up (Like the obelisk), they actually discard the first shot effect.

Now, I have to be honest. I am unaware of the factors that are used when projectiles are:

slow moving (thus they might miss)

slow moving with homing (a certain hit, but after some time)

acid (thus still working while your unit might be dead)

If the homing projectile is discarded when the unit dies. The first shot factor is depending on average range when the projectile is not discarded.

Please take note of certain averages. It depends on other game mechanics how these are determined. Or they change when rebalancing a game by removing/adding/editing existing units.

This is also a fact for the Health/Damage and Damage/Health ratio. You might end up in circles if you do not apply matrix for calculations.

Well, I guess that covers the little knowledge that I have.

And some descriptions are different than in other countries.

• 3 months later...

I found a use for Dogs. On small maps where infantry are prevalent (KotG), dogs hard counter grenadiers, which people do alot of mass grenadier rushes. Kennel also can be built for max build speed grenadiers/rockets.

The video link is not a pro game, but just a demonstration of dogs vs grenadiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPebWxuiuc4