11 tracked = 15 wheeled

10 tracked = 13 wheeled

9 tracked = 12 wheeled

9 tracked faster than 11 wheeled

8 tracked slower than 11 wheeled

8 tracked faster than 10 wheeled

7 tracked slower than 10 wheeled

What I agree

Ranger: agree, the most useless unit in RA1 besides technicians.

Soviet mine layer: Agreed. I only build it if I hear Tanya's laughter coming from the enemy's base.

Sandbags/Barbed wire: Yeah, these cheap barriers are useless when there's concrete barrier. Ironically in TD,the cheaper barriers are more frequently used.

What I disagree

Field medic: Increasing infantry durability can be useful in a non-tank game.

Camo pillbox: It camouflage and has better armor than turrets, worth the extra 200$.

Kennel: Dogs can be used as anti-infantry scouts since they respond quicker than riflemen to kill before the enemy soldier reveals much shroud.

Iron curtain: Use on your leading tank, it saved my tank rush against 5 tesla coils defended bridge when the 'bait' draws the tesla fire away from your forces.

Yak: Yak does 70%-90% of MiG damage to buildings, save 400$ if you only need planes for attacking buildings only.

Fake structures: Useful to make the enemy waste thier atom bombs and the perfect bait for enemy aircraft. Also build lots of fake naval yards as to make enemy think you are a navy person (this should make him/her sligthy less focus on the ground).

What I agree

Technicians are cool!!!

Having one of those after a battle is well worth the money. Just 1, and 20 (medium) damaged tanks are repaired. That outweighs a repair pad workings in costs. Compare 950 with the costs you need to repairing the units on a pad.

Sure the technician should be a bit cheaper for multi player. Like 600.

How about giving the camo pillbox stealth instead of just "camo" :D.

So when you attack a player, suddenly he has more defence than expected.

PS. For all I know, RA IS a tank game. Where infantry only can be support.

Allen, with tanks at 5 and APC's at 9, I would try these speed settings for TD's proportions:

Hummvee and Buggies 13 (just bit faster than APC on reg terrain), tracked=no, ROT=10.

Recon Bike 17 (Buggy is 75% of its speed 30 vs 40), tracked=no, ROT=10.

Everything else ROT 5, except Artillery 2, Orca & Apache 4, and ships have all different I think.

Stealth Tank 8 (Tanks were 60% of it and it was 85.7% of APC), ROT 5

Flamethrower Trooper 4 same as Grenadier and Commando unless slower is better balance.

Apache's speed faster, closer to Orca with Orca not quite so fast (were the same in TD but Orca is supposed to be a more advanced craft)

Not sure if Chem Tanks are mammoth speed for balancing at 4 or should be the same as Flame Tanks at 5.

What I agree

Technicians are cool!!!

Having one of those after a battle is well worth the money. Just 1, and 20 (medium) damaged tanks are repaired. That outweighs a repair pad workings in costs. Compare 950 with the costs you need to repairing the units on a pad.

Sure the technician should be a bit cheaper for multi player. Like 600.

You're describing a mechanic, which is kinda ok. A technician is the dude you occasionally get from sold buildings and is armed with a crappy pistol like a civilian. Does basically zero damage.

Allen, with tanks at 5 and APC's at 9, I would try these speed settings for TD's proportions:

Hummvee and Buggies 13 (just bit faster than APC on reg terrain), tracked=no, ROT=10.

Recon Bike 17 (Buggy is 75% of its speed 30 vs 40), tracked=no, ROT=10.

Everything else ROT 5, except Artillery 2, Orca & Apache 4, and ships have all different I think.

Stealth Tank 8 (Tanks were 60% of it and it was 85.7% of APC), ROT 5

Flamethrower Trooper 4 same as Grenadier and Commando unless slower is better balance.

Apache's speed faster, closer to Orca with Orca not quite so fast (were the same in TD but Orca is supposed to be a more advanced craft)

Not sure if Chem Tanks are mammoth speed for balancing at 4 or should be the same as Flame Tanks at 5.

I need to get a stop watch and time all of the C&C95 units at middle speed across say 10 of 15 squares to get the speed of each of them.

Heh me too.  Including stuff versus helicopters.  With a recon bike to set to 21 wheeled, copters at 17 and 18 speed (didn't try other speeds) were still faster, except when the bike was on a road it was faster.  And I had double laned roads set up for some tests.

Hehe. I made that Super Saiyan Technician mod for him :D

I think was actually the dino bite weapon modded to have the pistol sound :P

And to make him invincible, since you can neither change the armour of infantry, nor set an Invincible switch on them, I made all other weapons do 0% damage vs armour level 0, AND made sure all vehicles had their Crusher setting disabled.

Man, that was tons of fun to do. I probably still have that SHP file lying around.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be off the original topic of this thread but since this where we were talking it, I did some more speed testing.

I found in TD that Recon Bikes (wheeled 40) on reg terrain seem to be the same speed as Chinooks (30).

Meanwhile just numberwise Chinooks are 75% of Attack Copters, 30 vs 40.

In RA's Chinooks are 12, which is 75% of Longbows at 16 (but hinds are slower at same speed as Chinook).

I think those copters might have retained about the same effective speeds between RA and TD's scales.

Before I suggested 17 wheeled as a speed for Recon Bikes in Red Dawn with slow tanks speeds to match TD.

In RA I found that 17 wheeled on reg terrain is just barely slightly slower than speed 12 aircraft (so close they may as well be the same).

So anyway, here's the speed comparisons I came up with.  I suggest increasing ROT to 10 or more for aircraft while testing:

17 wheeled faster than 11 air

17 wheeled barely slower than 12 air

18 wheeled faster than 12 air

18 wheeled slower than 13 air

19 wheeled faster than 12 air

19 wheeled barely slower than 13 air

20 wheeled = 13 air

21 wheeled faster than 14 air

21 wheeled barely slower than 15 air

In my tests there's seems to be a bigger jump in speed from 20 to 21, after 18 through 20 are so gradual. RA's engine rounding something?

Ignoring that apparent inconsistency in speed increases, I've come up with these aircraft speeds in relation to possible recon bike speeds:

Bike, Chinook, Apache, Orca

17, 12, 16, maybe make Orca 17 just to be more advanced

18, 13, 17, 18

19, 13, 17, 18

20, 13, 17, 18

21, 14, 18, 19

21, 15, 19, 20

21, 15, 20, 21

(I may go with 20, 14, 18, 19 in some maps of mine)

Faster speeds are to go with sets of speeds maintaining RA's increases while trying to have TD's proportions.

Apache and Orca were the same In TD, but the Orca is supposed to be more advanced,

So I when I have a chinook speed that is not 75% of any other whole number or rather no whole number is 1.33333 times the Chinook's, I round down for the Apache and up for the Orca.  Of course those higher speed wheeled vehicles are reasonable on regular terrain, but they're going to really zip around on the occasional roads which we don't see much of.

Just within some map mods of mine am I trying to combine RA's speed increases with TD relative proportions.  Due to the big jump from 20 to 21, I think I'll stay away from putting anything at 21.

You are welcome. :)

The chrono tank is rather weak against mass. Unless used in groups with their purpose in mind.

Any way, the Chrono tank requires a lot of micro. If you want to warp in a group.

You have to select them 1 by one and then warp them to another place.

Now, with 10 chrono tanks, this can be easily done within 10 seconds if you know how.

Can someone explain this with the correct keyboard numbers? Because I forgot :D

Have you any idea how annoying fog of war is?

The Mobile Gap Generator is one of the best special units out there.

You don't know if the enemy has a lot or almost notching there. Only way to find out is exploring. But if he has a lot, you will be surprised.

Be very wary if the MGG is close to water. Because then he has some carriers and destroyers too.

Gotta include Mobile Gap Generator and Rajar Jammer

I actually like the radar jammer. I usually build one and park it behind a tree near his base just before i attack. Most of the time it draws away a small group of tanks from the enemy base, giving me a slight advantage.