Questions regarding the Nod airstrip

TaxOwlbear

Two questions I've been asking myself for years:

1. Are vehicles delivered faster if the airstrip is close to the eastern edge of the map? Or is it always a set amount of seconds before vehicle is delivered?

2. Why can GDI rocket launchers be delivered via a Nod airstrip? Because they are so similar to the Nod napalm launcher?

I was speeding up the cargo plane to remove the disadvantage players had on the left side of the map in online games, cause sometimes you already had a new unit ready to be shipped but the plane didnt arive yet so you had to wait while players on the right side of the map were outproducing you

I have a theory: maybe it's distance based. Maybe if the strip you've set to primary is too far to the West and the straight-line distance between it and the right edge is greater than the distance between the secondary strip and the right edge (at the same point where the plane would enter to go to the primary), it'll turn. So the plane always enters the map approaching your primary strip, but if there is a closer one in a straight line, it'll turn and land there instead.

EDIT: since I didn't really explain it too well:

A------------------ C

/

/

/

/

B

A is primary strip. B is secondary. C is where the plane enters. It will enter there, as long as A is primary. So, if A-C > C-B, then the plane will override primary settings and land at B. This needs to be tested though.

I have a theory: maybe it's distance based. Maybe if the strip you've set to primary is too far to the West and the straight-line distance between it and the right edge is greater than the distance between the secondary strip and the right edge (at the same point where the plane would enter to go to the primary), it'll turn. So the plane always enters the map approaching your primary strip, but if there is a closer one in a straight line, it'll turn and land there instead.

EDIT: since I didn't really explain it too well:

A------------------ C

/

/

/

/

B

A is primary strip. B is secondary. C is where the plane enters. It will enter there, as long as A is primary. So, if A-C > C-B, then the plane will override primary settings and land at B. This needs to be tested though.

I used to think it prioritized the Eastern most Airstrip, but after playing some MP matches that contradicted this I find no rhyme or reason.  I kind of buy your explanation, though.  Although I frown upon most major changes in the game, this is one thing I wouldn't mind seeing remedied.  Being able to pick a "primary" building has significant strategic advantages and it's annoying as hell to be bound by whatever logic the computer adheres to.

Agreed, you should be able to set primary building. And yes, this is annoying... when it drops the unit at the wrong location. (same sort of thing can happen with multiple WF and you make hummers too fast... if one unit is still emerging from a WF, another will just come out of a different one). Very annoying if you don't notice and have idle units that could have helped you in situations.

-Liam

Agreed, you should be able to set primary building. And yes, this is annoying... when it drops the unit at the wrong location. (same sort of thing can happen with multiple WF and you make hummers too fast... if one unit is still emerging from a WF, another will just come out of a different one). Very annoying if you don't notice and have idle units that could have helped you in situations.

-Liam

I don't usually get this problem as GDI, simply because by that sort of time I've stopped building hummers.

But the idle units issue becomes very real as Nod

They're also quite good if Nod are more reliant on buggies than bikes. If there are more bikes though, you have to just use them as bait to keep those out of pestering your harvs and base. Good against apaches too. In one game against Matt I scored 2 or maybe even 3 mid-air kills on his apaches with my orcas (2 kills on record). Hell, I'll often use orcas to ruin airstrips, after I get my WF fucked by Bike & Buggy TM of course. Orcas rule. They're like the GDI bikes.