Let's Play Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations

TaxOwlbear

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of them were also included in the Nintendo 64 rom (in fact, the PSX Special Ops are in as well), but sadly they can't be played from it without hacking; the files exist, but the missions can't be accessed from the menus. Not even the 'barracuda' cheat code that unlocks all missions, including a bunch of test maps, gets around that -_-

Oh, I played it with mouse. It's just a matter of configuring the plugins right in the emulator :D

Christo161 already did a full playthrough of that, though.

(warning - very unconventional rush tactics in this video :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hulHq-SXcI

By the way... to embed the videos, simply remove the "s" in the "https" url prefix

Oh, I played it with mouse. It's just a matter of configuring the plugins right in the emulator :D

Christo161 already did a full playthrough of that, though.

(warning - very unconventional rush tactics in this video :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hulHq-SXcI

By the way... to embed the videos, simply remove the "s" in the "https" url prefix

Oh wow, that's interesting... I wonder if it's possible to replace the horrible models.

I did that with the PSX version of Red Alert. It runs pretty smooth with the PSX Mouse. :) I'm not sure whether I ever came across a single game that supports the N64 Mouse. There have to be some, but none of the games that should be obviously supported seem to have support.

You live an learn.  :cncsmirk:

The problem i have with the N64 version is that mouse control is way too fast and the game is buggier than big rigs on a emulator along with the music being botched versions of the originals. Did we even mention the game was going to have 64DD support?(That would actually have been good,the PC cutscenes and music could have been included. Alongside native mouse support because the 64DD comes with one.)

The problem i have with the N64 version is that mouse control is way too fast and the game is buggier than big rigs on a emulator along with the music being botched versions of the originals.

I dunno. I actually liked some of these recreations. Would be really nifty if we could extract the actual used samples from those.

As for the mouse control, umm... not sure what plugin you used, but I'm fairly sure the one I got had adjusters for the sensitivity.

And, I honestly never had any bugs playing the game on Project64.

An we get to a mission that's actually halfway covert, even though the covert part takes place before the mission starts. Sort of.

Hmm. Couple of hints for this mission:

-As I said in the comments, sell the refinery. Remember, a refinery is a cheap building; its really costly part is the harvester, which was already on the field anyway. The refinery itself is a $600 building, making it worth less than an advanced power plant. Selling it kills ALL the engineers, and building a new one gives you a second harvester right away.

-Put concrete walls just above advanced guard towers. This may be considered a bit of a cheat, but as long as that wall is there, the AGT will take barely any damage at all, no matter which direction it is attacked from. Though since this mission has them consistently attacked from above, the "cheat" aspect here doesn't even apply. Anyway. Concrete walls. They're worth it for that.

I usually put my repair bay over the turret build position, later, by building one cell up from the weapons factory with a sandbag ;)

Yup, selling the refinery is good so your soldiers can gun down the engineers and you don't have to sell the barracks, then keep both of the initial guard towers alive, the northern tower is obviously important since Nod attacks from the North (it will helpfully kill engineers when your AGTs are busy firing at tanks) and the eastern tower is needed to place 2-3 refineries closer to the tiberium. The most annoying part is the gun turrets and hand of Nod the computer had set its build location in your base.

Also, I noticed one piece of the starting barracks shared the same tile as the communications center.

Also, I noticed one piece of the starting barracks shared the same tile as the communications center.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Pretty poorly planned out in terms of map building  :D

I honestly never had them build that hand of nod in my base unless I was actually experimenting with letting them build it so I could capture it. Blocking the turret's build spot just totally screws up their rebuilding logic, so they never rebuild anything from that point on.

In fact, it may screw up more than just that, because I've noticed that often, a blocked rebuilding spot will make enemy attack teams ignore their orders and instead rush out with the singleminded purpose of destroying that obstruction. After all, that whole system was originally designed with base defense in mind.