Frowned upon Tactics

Chad

Hello,

I recently just faced a 10 grand cannon turtle so I sent a spy to sap his power and slipped few engi IFVs right by them. Soon I faced a flurry of insults too disgusting to repeat. Confused and shaken I asked him to humbly eat a (sorry mom) and die, but he persisted. He told me to "get gud" then asked "U MAD BRO?"......I was

I am worried I may never recover. Please help! He was mad I used a spy and captured his mcv. Did I really do anything wrong? What are some other frowned upon techniques/cheesy tactics so I can avoid another beating like this? (camping dogs by oils,engi rushing mcv)

damn you ButtFart420... I will have my revenge

It's pretty simple: Do not cheat and do not glitch the game, and you are not using frowned upon tactics.

What you did was a highly sound strategy (spied his necessary power) to defeat a camper. He was simply mad.

Some tactics that are borderline:

Engi-killing: This occurs on a map such as Official Tournament Map B when there are 2 distinct spots for oil derricks. Generally, it is considered 'fairer' to give one side to each opponent. However, if you are aggressive and decide to go after all of the derricks and successfully kill the opponents engineers you now have a very large (And to some, an unfair) advantage. The reasoning behind this is simple, the game should not end in the first 60 seconds due to dog-luck. However, you be the judge, lame or not? Would it be better to not have oil derricks? Beats me. This is a long issue in the CnC community!

Engi-Rushing: Engi rushing is when you load up an IFV or Flak trak with an engi and rush the enemy early in the game (first 2-3 minutes) and try to steal their critical structures. This is considered lame because it is often difficult for players to stop and avoids the usage of actual tanks or "skill".

ALTing players buildings: This is a borderline glitch of the game. To alt, you take your army of tanks (usually rhino tanks) and hold alt and press a building that uses an opening such as a war factory or ore refinery. This will result in the enemy trying to kill your tank on top of their building, thus killing his/her own building.

Some others, but now I have to go :P.

Good luck.

Basically, you encountered a regular whiny brat. Your gameplay isn't wrong in the slightest, since you didn't use any hacks or exploits.

Engi-killing: This occurs on a map such as Official Tournament Map B when there are 2 distinct spots for oil derricks. Generally, it is considered 'fairer' to give one side to each opponent. However, if you are aggressive and decide to go after all of the derricks and successfully kill the opponents engineers you now have a very large (And to some, an unfair) advantage. The reasoning behind this is simple, the game should not end in the first 60 seconds due to dog-luck. However, you be the judge, lame or not? Would it be better to not have oil derricks? Beats me. This is a long issue in the CnC community!

Engi-Rushing: Engi rushing is when you load up an IFV or Flak trak with an engi and rush the enemy early in the game (first 2-3 minutes) and try to steal their critical structures. This is considered lame because it is often difficult for players to stop and avoids the usage of actual tanks or "skill".

Neither of these is a problem on a competitive level in later C&C games, why is this so controversial here?

The only frowned upon tactics are quitting or cheating. The other that cry because you did x or y are just upset they couldn't defend themselves properly from x or y.

If you win and someone cry I would feel extra victorious. Even I cry here and there, but they are never serious. Good game is good game, and sometimes frustration slips through.

Every unit has a reason in the game. You were not using a frown upon tactic, you were being smart to defeat the Grand Cannon camper efficiently. There will be idiots who thinks they're perfect that blame others instead of their own lack of skills. Ignore them and move on, sooner or later, they lose reputation in the community unless they grow up.

Next time this happens or anyone insults you after you beat them, tell him/her "makes stomping you even more satisfying" and mute them.

Neither of these is a problem on a competitive level in later C&C games, why is this so controversial here?

If by later C&C games you mean C&C3 and RA3, then, as far as I can see*, at least in C&C3 engineers are a lot easier to stop than in classic C&C. In C&C3 engineers are very slow and die from a few shots from a basic rifleman, while in classic C&C they have a lot more health and unit firing ranges are a lot shorter in comparison. In RA2 two conscripts need to almost hug each other to be able to fire at each other, while in C&C3 units can be quite far from each other and still fire. In other words, while in C&C3 you might be able to prevent an engineer rush by having a couple of basic infantry squads or base defenses scattered around your structures, in TS it takes a lot more effort in comparison. I'd imagine that because of dogs protecting against engineer rushes in RA2 takes less effort than in TS, but it's probably still harder than in C&C3. From what I've heard, in competitive TS it's fairly common to enable the "multi engineer" option to make engineer rushes harder.

*I'm a very skilled classic C&C player, but I haven't played C&C3 as much.

There's also a delay in taking over buildings in all games except C&C1, RA2, and TS. In Dune II and RA1, you have to shoot the buildings to bits first, or send in 4+ engineers at once. In Generals, taking over a building takes time, and from TW on, engineers have to stand there for a couple of seconds before they actually enter the building.

As a guy who hadn't played online for about 15 years until recently, I appreciate the question.  However, I also learned that it helps to be prepared for anything just in case your opponent doesn't abide by these unwritten rules.  I had someone say "no rush for 5 min" and then immediately rush me with engineers.  Ever since then I've been a little more apprehensive toward accepting that everyone will play fair (so to speak).

I typically prefer 1 on 1 games, which are by nature quicker than other formats.  While it seems that most people on CnCNet don't engi rush right off the bat for a quick win, I've notice that lots of Soviets just tank spam and try to overwhelm within the first few minutes.  It seems like I rarely am able to get a game that takes more than 10 minutes in a head to head matchup.  I guess I've learned to be prepared with a quick defense just in case, even if it hurts my chances of winning if it is indeed a longer match.