Red Alert 2 & Virtual Reality

Grant

This is a great example of OpenRA's modding capabilities :)

It appears that they have imported our gameplay code and RA2 mod rules into UE4 and then written an impressive set of 3d rendering traits plus the VR-friendly UI on top.  If you look closely you can spot several OpenRAisms / bugs that have carried through to this demo.

This is a great example of OpenRA's modding capabilities :)

Um. This isn't OpenRA, it's built on the Unreal 4 engine.

From the video description on Youtube:

Gameplay is provided by OpenRA (RA2 mod)

It's cool and impressive, although the controls aren't very fitting for an RTS. It would be a very cool spectator mode however.

How would that work anyway? You can't exactly run it on the OpenRA engine if it's already running on the Unreal engine.

pchote's guess / analysis seems like a possible one.

It appears that they have imported our gameplay code and RA2 mod rules into UE4 and then written an impressive set of 3d rendering traits plus the VR-friendly UI on top.  If you look closely you can spot several OpenRAisms / bugs that have carried through to this demo.

From the video title: "Red Alert 2 remake in Unreal Engine 4"

How would that work anyway? You can't exactly run it on the OpenRA engine if it's already running on the Unreal engine.

OpenRA is extremely modular so it would be straightforward for someone who knows what they are doing (as he clearly does) to import the code (UE4 can support C#) or link against it as a library and use the gameplay code without the renderer.  If he has written a new top-level game loop, renderer, and UI using unreal code then "RA2 on Unreal Engine" is valid – OpenRA is just another third party library.  It is disappointing that he credited OpenRA and the RA2 mod in an ambiguous way, but such is life.

Some OpenRA-specific unit behaviours are quite obvious in the video: the two engineers capturing the tech airfield, and the way units line up outside the war factory before being nudged to make room.  I also spotted familiar bugs with units sliding around corners (finally fixed in the latest OpenRA release), and infantry glitching a frame of their stand animation in the middle of an L turn.  The hand paddle is also quite clearly based on the ra2 mod's sidebar layout and artwork.

The video author confirmed what I surmised above:

Hi Taryn, I am glad you like it, and also let me congratulate to you, and your team for your excellent work with OpenRA. I've made my own code to connect UE4 with OpenRA. It's not yet exposed as a plugin yet. I can tell you more about it in PM.

From: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGtrJaiUZaA&lc=z12ailag3zicelhvz22fjh3p0lehyv3tm.1478852598280291