[YR] Reichenbach Falls - V2.1 - (2Pl)

Messiah

This time I made a map for Yuri's Revenge. :)

Detailed 2 player map with a lot of narrow paths, which allow a lot of tactical options but big tank rushes aren't a good option due limited money and space. You can turtle in, but you'll run out of money quite soon. Strategical point is the outpost in the south, from where you have control over important ore reserves.

reichenbach2.png

reichenbach2b.yrm

Edited by Messiah
  • Upvote 2

Realllllly interesting map here. I think this is a VERY creative map, and it has me wanting to play this map.

With that being said, I think my biggest complaint about it would be the power that the south part holds. The relative money (and free paradrop to boot) make it an extremely lucrative power compared to the rest of the map. The person that owns that part of the map, will likely win 99% of the games as they will have likely 2x or more money than the opponent.

14 hours ago, XXxPrePxX said:

Realllllly interesting map here. I think this is a VERY creative map, and it has me wanting to play this map.

With that being said, I think my biggest complaint about it would be the power that the south part holds. The relative money (and free paradrop to boot) make it an extremely lucrative power compared to the rest of the map. The person that owns that part of the map, will likely win 99% of the games as they will have likely 2x or more money than the opponent.

Pretty much my thought's.

I really like the design and layout but it looks like the distance from each spawn to the southern island and dog luck will decide who wins.

Id advise a large concentrated patch of ore behind each spawn.  In its current format i can see this map bieng all about dog luck and with the limited resources, once you lose that southern middle area  you will probably lose. With a bit more resources near each each spawn i reckon the southern part while still highly advantageous  would be less of a game decider.

I would also remove the tech power plant on the top left, i feel that if the left side wins the middle it will be far too easy to camp defending both top and bottom. Right side wont be able to do anything from the ground.

Edited by ZiGZaG
  • Upvote 1

I also noticed the tech power plant and was going to say something about camping in that pinch point. 

Really, the reason I want to play this is because I want to camp using prism towers on the cliffs and shit, haha. No one would be able to attack my base that way. :P

Looks good. It looks like a maze-like single player mission that's been turned into a multiplayer map :D. And I get why there's a tech power plant (to harness the power of the Reichenbach Falls, in real life anyway), but I'm not sure if it's worth fighting for on this map though. And it kinda sucks that the waterfalls don't gush out in RA2/YR. I like how you can't just get the bottom section straight off the bat (except for the airport) due to the sniper and howitzers, you'll have to fight both the other player as well as AI for it. This minimizes 'dog luck' at the start of the match, which can sometimes be a game decider. It's also good that it allows for both land and naval battles, and the limited amount of resources forces the players to choose their units wisely.

Allies have a pretty noticeable advantage at the start though; they can quite easily and quickly capture the tech airport by transporting an engineer with the nighthawk with nothing to stop them except a little sniper, which can easily be killed by the nighthawk. The 3 howitzers suddenly become their friends as they are now guarding their airport for them. They won't be able to place down a refinery just yet though, they'll have to first clear trees and ore which is good, otherwise its an inevitable win for the allied player I think. Also, if you're using America, you'll have double para-drops on a map full of cliffs. Mirror matches might be more suitable for this map.

Just one problem though; I can open the map in-game just fine, but I can't seem to open it in FinalAlert or zzattack's Map Renderer though? Why is that?

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys for the feedback and ideas for my map! :)

I did some changes here: I expanded the map and put the airfield to the north, together with an additional ore patch (and another neutral unit guarding it). I guess it is easier to defend for the right player but each side has it specific advantages and disadvantages in this map thoroughly.

I removed the possibility to build next to the tech buildings as I don't want the players to block the way by prism towers etc.

Id advise a large concentrated patch of ore behind each spawn. 

I guess that will force the player to turtle in too easy.

Edited by Messiah
  • Upvote 2

What I like the most is the attention to detail, like I love the little huts with the campfire in the middle. Great job really!

BTW, when this map renders in the YR client it's huge. See attached, not sure if this an editor bug or something?

reichenbach2.png

On 18/06/2017 at 10:10 AM, Messiah said:

Thank you guys for the feedback and ideas for my map! :)

I did some changes here: I expanded the map and put the airfield to the north, together with an additional ore patch (and another neutral unit guarding it). I guess it is easier to defend for the right player but each side has it specific advantages and disadvantages in this map thoroughly.

I removed the possibility to build next to the tech buildings as I don't want the players to block the way by prism towers etc.

I guess that will force the player to turtle in too easy.

yea it would and in the original version it would probably also make gameplay a little more even i thought, i like the changes though, looking foward to trying it out :)