To the skilled map makers, is it possible ...

Grant

To make Training like Maps? I'd like first time users of the client to be advised to go through a set of maps that are aimed at increasing their skill level and knowledge.

For example:

1. A map that tells the player what to build and once they've built it, tells them what to build after that. 
    E.g. They build a power plant, text then shows to tell them to build a Barracks.  They build a barracks, it then tells them to build dogs and so on.

2. Instructs them about hotkeys 
  3. A scenario where there are just tanks on the map, and they are told to beat a set of tanks. (Depending on the type of tanks they're playing against it will instruct them differently). 
  4. A scenario where there are more tanks to destroy, but they're given fodder to use with their attack.  

See where I'm going with this? 

• Upvote 3

I'll try to make some maps but i have final exams at the moment and i'll finish after 2 weeks. CANT wait to come back to cncnet and start making maps again :D

Is it possible? From my point of view its possible in so many ways! Its simple.

But the question i'm going to ask is : The map itself is what?

Single player?

Multiplayer? Like 2 players or more or what?

Single player maps are good which are the campaigns. however, They must be named and opened from the campaigns itself.

Yeh, im thinking like making a push with 10 tanks and the player with only 7 dogs dogs and 6 tanks. Must take these 10 tanks down xD

Edit : Ill try to mix between new created maps, like a small train area that I would be making. And original maps like heck freeze as the main training.

Although* I wouldn't call myself a skilled map maker :(

Edited by Roooo
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Roooo said:

I'll try to make some maps but i have final exams at the moment and i'll finish after 2 weeks. CANT wait to come back to cncnet and start making maps again :D

Single player?

Single player maps are good which are the campaigns. however, They must be named and opened from the campaigns itself.

Yeh, im thinking like making a push with 10 tanks and the player with only 7 dogs dogs and 6 tanks. Must take these 10 tanks down xD

Edit : Ill try to mix between new created maps, like a small train area that I would be making and original maps. Like heck freeze as the main training.

dude i love your map red line so much  <3

i used to play it so much with my team mate ,i have good memories in that map =)

can you please make same type of maps ?

and make maybe maps for teams and 1 vs 1's :D 

GL with you testes ! 

39 minutes ago, JSDS said:

dude i love your map red line so much  <3

i used to play it so much with my team mate ,i have good memories in that map =)

can you please make same type of maps ?

and make maybe maps for teams and 1 vs 1's :D 

GL with you testes ! 

I'm so glad that you liked it. Don't worry, i have plenty of maps in my mind that i'm going to make later. The reason i remember them is because i draw them on my school books sometimes. :P

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Roooo said:

Single player?

Edit : Ill try to mix between new created maps, like a small train area that I would be making. And original maps like heck freeze as the main training.

The maps should be Single-player based (so you are playing against an AI). Doesn't have to be campaign.

So possible scenarios:

1. Easy: Objective is to defeat 2 Rhino tanks with 3 Rhino tanks. 
    Instructional text: Move tanks in a group towards the enemy tanks, clicking isn't always needed.

2. Medium: Objective is to defeat 3 Rhino tanks with 4 Rhino tanks.
    Instructional text: Move tanks in a compact group, and move towards back enemy tanks so turrets take longer to turn.

3. Hard: Objective is to defeat 6 Rhino tanks with 4 Rhino Tanks and Fodder.
    Instructional text: Sending in dogs as "fodder" with your tanks makes enemy tanks shoot your dogs allowing your tanks to shoot without getting as many hits.

Something along the lines of that maybe? Open to discussion of course, I'm no pro.

12 minutes ago, Grant said:

The maps should be Single-player based (so you are playing against an AI). Doesn't have to be campaign.

So possible scenarios:

1. Easy: Objective is to defeat 2 Rhino tanks with 3 Rhino tanks. 
      Instructional text: Move tanks in a group towards the enemy tanks, clicking isn't always needed.

2. Medium: Objective is to defeat 3 Rhino tanks with 4 Rhino tanks.
      Instructional text: Move tanks in a compact group, and move towards back enemy tanks so turrets take longer to turn.

3. Hard: Objective is to defeat 6 Rhino tanks with 4 Rhino Tanks and Fodder.
      Instructional text: Sending in dogs as "fodder" with your tanks makes enemy tanks shoot your dogs allowing your tanks to shoot without getting as many hits.

Something along the lines of that maybe? Open to discussion of course, I'm no pro.

I get the picture. I'll make a full training map using the original maps. What i mean by that is the map itself will start with the basics of building then it will switch to like the scouting training then to the building order (like selling ore refinary and rebuild it) Then to the combat style.

About what you mentioned grant. Like making a new map (small area) with different tasks, more like waves.

When i finish exams i'll work on it.

That one problem with the text is going to be annoying. Since the map editor doesn't really provide a long sentence for you to actually write, but it just lets you write about maximum 30 letters only with the word "MISSING" behind the text

Editing files can help this problem but no sure if it will break the game or something.

• Upvote 1

Sounds good, let me speak with some dev's and see if we can do anything with the text problem (See if its possible to remove the cap and remove the MISSING text) - It may or may not be possible

On 2.7.2017 at 9:34 PM, Grant said:

For example:

1. A map that tells the player what to build and once they've built it, tells them what to build after that. 
      E.g. They build a power plant, text then shows to tell them to build a Barracks.  They build a barracks, it then tells them to build dogs and so on.

2. Instructs them about hotkeys 
    3. A scenario where there are just tanks on the map, and they are told to beat a set of tanks. (Depending on the type of tanks they're playing against it will instruct them differently). 
    4. A scenario where there are more tanks to destroy, but they're given fodder to use with their attack.  

See where I'm going with this? 

I haven't made any missions for Yuri's Revenge, but I've made plenty for the engine. And based on that I can say that all of these are technically possible.

For 1, it is possible to restrict the player's build order by modifying the rules, and the game can also detect when the player has built a specific building (at least in singleplayer, not sure if it's doable in multiplayer with the current YR spawner), making it show a text trigger instructing them to build another building.

For 2, you can instruct the player to use hotkeys through text triggers. But you can't check whether the player actually uses hotkeys.

3 and 4 are simple.

Edited by Rampastring
    • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's much easier to have the process automated. 
    A proper design for this should be laid out and discussed. 

I've trained many players over the years new and returning oldies and quite a few hit Hall of fame on XWIS. However, it's very time consuming to be thorough with them.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:54 PM, Grant said:

Any volunteers for tutorials maps shown above? The tutorial text is implemented in the latest version above. 

[Tutorial]
    trigger_key=insert your text here

I tried using this and this is all I got:

Text.png.c4f6c2b66f6188b151b7eeccbf77f198.png

Not sure if that's because it hasn't been properly implemented yet or if it's something on my end.

Also, I'd love to help out with making some tutorial maps if Roooo hasn't beaten me to it. Have you heard anything else from him on those yet?

On 7/2/2017 at 0:53 PM, Roooo said:

I wouldn't call myself a skilled map maker :(

No need for self-deprecation buddy. You've done some pretty creative stuff, which is impressive since the game is, like, two decades old.

Edited by Chrono Vortex