Converting TS maps into RA2 maps - I've done it!

Messiah

I don't know if someone has done this before, but I'm writing on ini profiles for MapTools to convert TS maps into RA2 maps.

Now you may convert TS temperate maps into RA temperate maps and TS snow maps into RA2 snow maps, and vice versa. FS crystal stuff will be converted into normal cliffs or grassy terrain and YR ice cliffs also will be transformed into normal cliffs. TS ice tiles should be transformed into water, but this doesn't work. Some things like bridges, some path junctions and rough patches will need fixup: Final Sun/Alert will ask you if you want to repair a map -> press yes.

most terrain objects which are not available in the other game (like Fona or street lights)will be transformed into trees.

If you use the RA2 terrain expansion, TS monorails will be transformed into train tiles, otherwise to blank.

Converting overlay to the other game is not done yet. The only thing is done is deleting the veinhole monster and his tentacles from game. RA2 can read TS overlay (blue tiberium is converted to ore for some reason), but TS cant read RA2 overlay, so you'll have to delete this in your map.

Buildings and other man-made objects are not changed, but I think about a file, which converts the civilian city buildings aswell as Nod -> soviet and GDI -> allies.

Below that image there are 4 files which you can use for the theater conversion and 4 example maps. Remember that is no I-convert-my-map-and-start-game-instantanous tool, only the basic things are done yet.

Here is the preview for the popular TS map "Terraces" converted into RA2:

terracesra2a.thumb.png.285a18f4594c49d5cd9bfd934c24c69a.png

ra2sno2tssno.ini

ts_sno2rasno.ini

ts_tem2ratem.ini

ra2_tem2tstem.ini

ra2_coldwar.map

ra2_terraces.map

ts_lakeblitzen.map

ts_anytown.map

ts_obj2ra2obj.ini

Edited by Messiah
  • Like 3

This is interesting. It shows that Terraces is a huge map in RA2 but it's not really considered to be a big map in Tiberian Sun. I played a skirmish and I couldn't tell if my tanks slowed down as the drove over the sand in the middle. In TS tanks move slower on that middle sand and on the "cracked" ground near top left,  left middle and above the pond.

Yeah, that depends on the settings in temperat.ini of the game, which are not converted.

And vice versa, I've ported Anytown, America into Tiberian Sun. Overlay and Buildings are done by hand, everything else is automatically converted by MapTools. Only some templates needed to be fixed.

Next thing will be TS snow -> RA2 snow and vice versa.

anytown.png

anytown.map

Edited by Messiah
  • Like 1

I finished the snow theater and added the two remaining ini files into the first post.

Two example maps are Aro's Cold War for RA2 and Lake Blitzen for TS.

I guess this will cause a flood of new maps for both games.

Edited by Messiah

• 2 years later...