Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert crash on Linux

ridgek

Question

Hello,

I just installed Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, and Tiberian Sun via the CnCNet installer, on my Linux machine running Ubuntu 18.04.01 LTS (x84_64 kernel). Tiberian Sun appears to run okay, but Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert both crash at launch, giving me a Program Error from Wine. It seem like this is probably a Wine configuration issue, but I'm not sure what changes to make in winecfg. I've attached the backtrace logs from Wine in hopes that someone could help me.

Thanks!

RAbacktrace.txt

TDbacktrace.txt

11 answers to this question

Figured it out. It's a graphics hardware issue and I just needed to try a different renderer in settings. I feel stupid, but it never occurred to me that I should change it from "Automatic" to something else. Direct3D 9 and GDI render modes both work fine for me on both games.

I might not have figured it if I hadn't found Nyergud's crash research thread, which made me realize the culprit was cnc-ddraw. Thanks to FunkyFr3sh's reply on this post, I learned cnc-ddraw requires OpenGL 2.0 and ts-ddraw requires OpenGL 1.2. My Linux laptop is old and has an Intel 950 GMA chipset running OpenGL 1.2, which explains why TS ran and TD/RA didn't.

Edited by ridgek

I've seen such logs before but unfortunately there was nothing too useful inside so I didn't know what could've been the cause. Nice to see you've figured it out!

I'll do some research, maybe it's possible to improve the opengl version detection and prevent the crash by switching to another renderer automatically.

• Like 1

I think I got this bug fixed now, if you want to try it out:

1. Join the cncnet online or skirmish lobby

2. Type "/install ra-config"

3. Click on [Settings] -> [Red Alert] and change your renderer to OpenGL

a.PNG

If it works, it should switch automatically to the GDI renderer and notify you about using the slower software renderer

Note: This also works for tiberian dawn, the command there is "/install td-config"

Awesome, thx so much, FunkyFr3sh! cncnet's been working great on my Mac, but this Linux situation is being pretty stubborn. I just tried to join my first game today, and when I click on any lobby, it tells me "Error: Client versions incompatible. Your version: 1.33, x's version: 1.36. I'm not sure how to update though?

On 10/16/2018 at 12:53 PM, FunkyFr3sh said:

I think I got this bug fixed now, if you want to try it out:

1. Join the cncnet online or skirmish lobby

2. Type "/install ra-config"

3. Click on [Settings] -> [Red Alert] and change your renderer to OpenGL

http://downloads.cncnet.org/Games/RedAlert/OldPC/a.PNG

If it works, it should switch automatically to the GDI renderer and notify you about using the slower software renderer

Note: This also works for tiberian dawn, the command there is "/install td-config"

Sorry, total linux newb here - I have been having issues getting Red Alert to launch on my linux box (20.04.3) - looks like it just flashes and closes.  I've tried changing the renderer to Open GL as suggested on this thread, but still no dice.  Same issue/symptoms with GDI and automatic renderers.  Running an old i5 and gt 620. I believe drivers are up to date.  Where can I find log/trace files to help with triage/troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Edited by pnguyen7
adding a video