Game plays fine, Online CnCNet doesn't load anything

SOL1981

Question

On a Mac running VMWare Fusion with Windows 10. 

Game runs run, but whenever I go to "Play Online" CnCnet loads fine, I select online, and the chat window loads but never connects / no one is ever on it.

Is this some network setting I need to change (I'm an Apple guy haven't used PC's in close to 20 years). Or is there another plugin or patch to install.

Again the game runs fine and this loads, just can't seem to "connect" into the network.

My father is running this same game on a Mac through the Wine Emulator and connects and plays online all the time.

I had the same thing working but just upgraded to Mac Catalina today and it wiped out the game.

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 1.00.39 AM.png

4 answers to this question

Well I can confirm the same issue with VMware® Workstation 15 Player on Ubuntu 16. (The guest is Win7)

I am trying to play TS online and cannot connect to cncnet.org from client. (Meanwhile the site loads just fine in the browser.) I am also able to connect from the Linux host (the host) via client (I just cannot play with my friend as he has v1.38 on windows, while I have v1.36 on linux - which is probably a different story), so it is definetely not "in my NW" per se. I've also played around with the only setting I found - the port number in client, but to no avail and I have no idea where the logs for the client are, so I am kind of clueless.

Has anyone any idea, why vmware hypervisors could interfere with cncnet client on guests?

8 hours ago, mkwinco said:

Well I can confirm the same issue with VMware® Workstation 15 Player on Ubuntu 16. (The guest is Win7)

I am trying to play TS online and cannot connect to cncnet.org from client. (Meanwhile the site loads just fine in the browser.) I am also able to connect from the Linux host (the host) via client (I just cannot play with my friend as he has v1.38 on windows, while I have v1.36 on linux - which is probably a different story), so it is definetely not "in my NW" per se. I've also played around with the only setting I found - the port number in client, but to no avail and I have no idea where the logs for the client are, so I am kind of clueless.

Has anyone any idea, why vmware hypervisors could interfere with cncnet client on guests?

Did you try the TS snap? That one usually works fine: https://snapcraft.io/cnctsun

Sure, I have installed cncnet on the Linux Host as well (it's using Wine) and as I wrote, the client can indeed connect to cncnet.org, but afterwards I cannot join the game of my friend, who is running his cncnet installation on Windows (allegedly our version of something differs, I have v1.36, he has v1.38, though I have no idea what this version number refers to). That is why I decided to replicate the same installation as he has on Windows. And there I hit this wall. :(

Edited by mkwinco