How to install Red Alert 1 on Windows XP Vista 7 8 10 Linux MAC. 32 / 64bit

FunkyFr3sh

Thanks Tore! Can I have map in the middle of the screen somehow?

Also, is it possible to scale the map and units independently from the UI? I'm on a high resolution but small size laptop screen so the units are a bit too small for my liking (hence why I'm using DPI scaling).

this only happens in the first missions cause the maps are very small, you can try a skirmish game and you will notice there is no problem like this :) there is nothing we can do about it, you could play the first missions in a lower resolution if you prefer to have it looking different ;)

check the readme.txt in the readme folder

DPI scaling is really a bad idea, it can break programs and all it does it changing your resolution to something lower anyways. You should never use it, you better change your windows resolution directly instead

The patcher detects DPI scaling and applies some special rules to get the game working with it, i added that recently but it was not tested so well (i hope your game works without crashes using it) I could not record gameplay with dpi scaling, my game kept crashing, while others couldnt see the full sidebar since some things were drawing outside of the screen

Thanks for your reply Fresh! I've found the FAQ in the readme folder now. Of course the first item in it is the problem I'm having :D

Q: The game will only show a small screen, how can I make it full screen ?

A: Check your graphic driver settings and enable stretching/scaling. Also disable "Use letter- or windowboxing to make a best fit" in RedAlertConfig.exe(Settings)

Note: The first single-player missions are very small, they might look weird if you choose a too high resolution(small screen surrounded by black)!

I personally haven't noticed any difference with DPI scaling enabled or disabled with the compatibility settings so I guess that's good (no crashes so far, although I haven't played much).

The reason I'm using DPI scaling is because I have a small screen (15.6") but high resolution (1920x1080) which makes text a bit too small to read comfortably.If I were to lower the resolution text would be bigger, but blurry.

That said, I've had problems with FireFox and Chrome when they decided to add support for DPI scaling (ironic, huh?). With those updates the UI became too big so I've had to resort to plugins to bring it back down...

Another question I had was if it's possible to change the mouse control configuration? RTS'es nowadays (and maybe RA2? I don't remember) use the left mouse button for selecting and the right for giving orders. I find I'm misclicking a lot of the time. :(

I also miss being able to queue units and set a waypoint for the barracks and the vehicle depot(?), but I doubt there's any way to patch that in. :D

I guess the easiest way to do that would probably be to use OpenRA and implement campaign support...

Hello, I'm running RA1 in linux, but either the game crashes, or (with slightly differen installation method) the game itself works perfectly, but the lobby has greek letters only O.o so i cannot chat, understand the checkboxes, when creating a game, etc. Has anyone experienced that before?

I tried two different installation procedures:

Procedue I (lobby and fonts will work, but game will crash):

1.) Download RA1:

http://dev.cncnet.org/files/RedAlert1_Online_Installer.exe

2.) Install playonlinux:

sudo apt-get install playonlinux

3.) start playonlinux

4.) install using the installer from playonlinux:

klick "+" button --> klick "install non listed programm" --> "next" --> "new virtual drive" -->  enter "bla" --> check "install some libs" --> "32 bit" --> dotnet2.0 + gdiplus --> choose RedAlert1_Online_Installer.exe --> "english" --> "set install path to C:\users\tekkentux\RedAlert1_Online --> next --> play online dialog shows up, cancel --> select RA1MPLauncher to create shortcut --> next --> "no further shortcuts" --> next

5.) Launch the game from playonlinux (text in lobby looks good, but game will crash)

click RA1MPLauncher --> Play --> Play Online --> "login" --> "new game" --> "create" --> "ready" --> "start game" --> it crashes

Procedure II:

Game will work, but lobby will have greek letters only:

Install RA1 using playonlinux (trick to create a virtual drive in playonlinux):

1.) Start playonlinux

2.) klick "+" --> enter "red" in search bar --> select "Command and Conquer : Red Alert 1" --> double click --> ok --> next --> next --> cancel --> next

3.) klick "+" --> klick "install non listed programm" --> "next" --> "change existing" --> "show virtual drives" --> select RedAlert (created in step 2) --> check "install some libs" --> "32 bit" --> dotnet2.0 + gdiplus --> choose RedAlert1_Online_Installer.exe --> "english" --> "set install path to C:\users\tekkentux\RedAlert1_Online --> next --> play online dialog shows up, cancel --> select RA1MPLauncher to create shortcut --> next --> "no further shortcuts" --> next

4.) Launch the game from playonlinux (lobby will have greek letters only, but games works)

click RA1MPLauncher --> Play --> Play Online --> "login" --> "new game" --> "create" --> "ready" --> "start game" --> have fun

Thanks for any help

Thank you for the fast feedback. Enabling cnc-draw actually fixes the crash, but results in a little strange display: I can still see my gnome panel on the top, while playing the game and resolution looks weird (some distance to the top, black borders left and right), but ...

I also found a working solution for procudure 2: I had to get a new wine version. So I did:

1.) follow procedure II in previous post

2.) in playonlinux --> tools --> manage wine versions --> install wine 1.6.2 (current latest 1.7 will NOT work) --> close dialog --> click RA1MPLauncher --> "configure" --> "wine version" --> "1.6.2" --> greek letters are gone.

3.) Everything works perfectly ...

...except: peer-to-peer does not work, although port 8054 is forwarded in the router to the game machine, and netstat shows, that its locally listening, but thats a different problem.

oh nice, good to hear that :)

The peer-to-peer test is currently broken since we started to hide the ips of the players completely. You can still play p2p games, but you will have to type the following command to bypass the test: "/notest"

You should only do that if you are 100% sure that you and all the other people you are trying to play with have really opened the port, else the game will fail to connect!

It seems that with cnc-ddraw, on my Win7, C&C95 is detected as "not responding" by the system in certain places where there is no user input (WSA animation play, more specifically). This immediately disables both graphical updating and sound. It seriously ruins the map selection screen.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this, and what could fix it?

Hi guys,  my game always crashed when I was playing AM Allied mission 2 "In the Nick of Time", whenever I cross the bridge where there is 2 Chronotanks there, the game crash, and once it didn't crash but when I select the  2 Chronotanks, it crash again. The game created ra95crash.dmp which I suppose to send it to Iran, but I don't know his email, therefore I posting this here so perhaps Iran or anyone here could help.

ra95crash.dmp

Thanks for reporting, i will check it out tomorrow if i got time. Are you sure aftermath is turned on in the config program?

From your launcher, under Settings , Games options,  both expansion are enabled. And b4 that, I did play the first AM first  Allied mission 1(43ea) : Harbor Reclamation without any problem.

• 1 month later...

I'm not able to download the patch because either a) the site link is giving me a bunch of security warnings and/or b) downloading the patch itself triggers a virus warning and halts the download. Is there a confirmed clean link or way to get a copy that won't have the security alerts?

Thanks.

The file/site is clean, not even 1 false detection on virustotal.com, something must be wrong on your end. Try to turn paranoid detections in your security programs off to make sure those will only alert you if there was really a virus found

Scan results: https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/84c00c6bf548aa0b9acdc68b5576433a1b04256c6ee30254e1590c9398de54de/analysis/1425099959/

• 1 month later...

You guys mind explaining to me how to fix this bitch of a glitch within the RAED startup file? It seems to cause the startup to abort every time I launch it, and I cannot force it to read-only because the startup writes this glitched file seemingly as its first action.

Any help will be appreciated. Also, I run windows 7.

CC-RAED.ini

Yeah, I have no bloody idea how that got there. Anyway, I realized after looking at it a little closer that the first directory was probably at its maximum character limit, causing windows 7 to have a bitch-fit and truncate everything after "command and com" and I just realized the launcher was acting screwy because I had another RAED installation on my system in another directory (Insert facepalm here.).

I am going to install the whole game in a new directory, as well as delete the old RAED installation, and see if that works.

I am guessing the mix path 2 was a result of an older installation.

Long story short: "Make something idiot-proof and nature will make a better idiot"

I just happen to be the idiot in question. XD

Edit: Also on a quick note, I read your posts in my head as if Donald Duck was saying them out loud due to the picture you chose for your Avatar.

Oh yeah, gary1910, do you perchance have the scu44ea.ini file from Nyurguds' TFD fixes Page in your Red Alert Directory which you pointed to in the installer?

If so, that fix is outdated and is not overridden by the installer which has the most recent version. Just delete it manually, see if that works.

Hi there,

i used your RA Installer and everything worked fine. I just played through the Addon Counterstirke und was starting the Ant Campaign. But always when i finish the second Mission --> "unable to read Scenario" and Crash. I loaded the Save game severel times and i also tried Mission restarts,. All with the same error. What can i do to Play the last 2 Ant Missions ;)?

Thanks

Drak

Oh yeah, gary1910, do you perchance have the scu44ea.ini file from Nyurguds' TFD fixes Page in your Red Alert Directory which you pointed to in the installer?

If so, that fix is outdated and is not overridden by the installer which has the most recent version. Just delete it manually, see if that works.

Heh. A lot of stuff from that page is outdated. It was made for TFD, after all. That's nearly 10 years ago.

Hi there,

i used your RA Installer and everything worked fine. I just played through the Addon Counterstirke und was starting the Ant Campaign. But always when i finish the second Mission --> "unable to read Scenario" and Crash. I loaded the Save game severel times and i also tried Mission restarts,. All with the same error. What can i do to Play the last 2 Ant Missions ;)?

Thanks

Drak

I just tried it, works fine if you are not loading any savegames. But once you load a savegame you will end up with that error.

You can try to play it through without saving or you wait until the bug is fixed :D