Barren Tileset

Tschokky

I promised to make a "Barren" tileset. Here's the very first, very much test-like picture. Your comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated.

The green stuff on the bottom left corner is supposed to be water, I'm struggling with shores though.

barren_test.png.342d8d7df3f65d4fd7ef9193c2299fde.png

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What exactly do you mean? Use desert stuff and just recolor it? I had a thought about that - probably better for C&C, but all these issues with having different palettes, I just felt that I wanted to do something that works really well with my RA/C&C and the original RA.

What exactly do you mean? Use desert stuff and just recolor it? I had a thought about that - probably better for C&C, but all these issues with having different palettes, I just felt that I wanted to do something that works really well with my RA/C&C and the original RA.

The C&C 95 and RA1 Temperat.pal are almost the same and would be the best to use.

What exactly do you mean? Use desert stuff and just recolor it?

No... I'm just saying, if the Desert palette would be better suited for the stuff you want to make on it, you'd better simply use that. As long as you use Desert palette AND all the .mrf files from Desert, it will work right. The origin of your graphics has no relation to that, does it?

The only thing that really matters in terms of functionality is the choice of which theater you want to replace, which determines which Terrain objects you can use (trees and such), but that has completely no impact on the palette stuff. And for actual tileset files, I made sure all of those can be used in all theaters, to allow the Snow theater to be added. You can theoretically perfectly make a map which has rivers from both Desert and Temperate theaters, as long as the theater you set the map to has graphics for both.

HELP NEEDED

I deceided to use huge cracks instead of rivers but can't really deceide which one to use. The left one is a bit soft, eroded, I like the right one better, it has a more crack-like feeling. Please help me by voting!

crack_vote.png.e0b7df186b43ea1889c507643c447769.png

By "cracks", do you mean dry rivers or soil fractures?

Viewing the graphics, I preferred the LEFT one, but I really didn't understand the RIGHT one, maybe in a larger picture things settle right.

The way it is now, only the artist can grasp it, but the viewer won't see it the same way.

your only problem with rivers is you've got to make the water (or in your case, absence of water) the same colour as the 'ocean' tilesets water.

Umm... why? He's planning not to make it look like water at all. Why would he use water colours then? I really don't see your point.

well like when a river tile joins to an ocean tile (i.e. river mouth/delta/whatever) it would look a bit strange if the water suddenly changed colour. (i.e. non existent combining with... um... green?)

Ohh. You just mean "use the same colour for oceans as for rivers"?

Not really. If he does dry river beds, then the connection piece could just be that dry river bed connecting to the ocean, slightly filled up at the end.

It is a strong argument against using "deep ravines" as rivers, though, yea. Dry but deep-looking river beds would be better.

That is one main feature: a colorless, almost lifeless barren waste.

Roads, ridges, fords, falls, river bridges, rivers all done.

Still required:

Shores, sludge cliffs/falls, camo.pillbox, missile silo, civilian buildings (I'm planning shacks and apocalyptic stuff), etc.

My 2c!

I like the ground and cliffs! I like the water! Unsure on the beaches, and I think the rivers are still pretty off too--especially the waterfall. Unsure how to make more convincing though... I also preferred the roads being darker :)

I'm disliking the rivers in (almost?) black color.

If it has to be dark, see if you can find a dark color between black and the darkest color of the general ground tile.

Given that you want to represent an empty river, black doesn't seem to be good.

But if you say it might be the only option, so, fair enough, we stick to that.

Yeah... rivers should be lighter, the waterfall, when dried up, should just be rock (the same rock is one of the normal ridge pieces, so you just need to copy it from there and blend it in), and when the riverbeds aren't so black the river mouth should look more natural, too.