Barren Tileset

Tschokky

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your predictions were correct. Movement flash is ok, but cloaked subs/shadows blend into the water. Thank you for calling my attention to that. Fear not for I will find a solution shortly.

Ah yes. And stealth. :P

The only real solution besides endlessly tweaking the palette is to edit the .mrf files responsible for the filtering... but there are no tools for making those.

I should really make that, actually. But it means digging into graphics filters, like adjusting hue, saturation, luminance, contrast, and all that stuff.

I wrote it in a previous comment that unfortunately I was unsuccesful in using spen/syrd/ss/dd/ca/pt/msub.tem files, the game uses shp-s from conquer.mix :( so I could not create the barren versions of those units. Good sighting, btw

It's looking great, really.

The only way I currently see around it is to individually change which pictures things use in the map's text (image=). But I don't really recommend that at all.

No, it's pretty much fine as is, maybe someone will figure out a way to allow you to change ALL buildings for each theater file.

-Liam

What's next for the master of terrain? :O

You tell me :D

I was thinking about a bunch of things, modifying temperate a little bit to create an autumn-like theme, with yellow/brown leaves on trees and on ground patches...

Or some otherworldly thing like the Twilight maps on StarCraft.

Right now, I really don't know :)

When I'm home I'll seriously look into making a tool for these .mrf tiles. It's basically just a remap table like the remapping of units, only for the whole colour palette. I know all the theoretical aspects. Any tool I make will need to come with a system to load mrf files and show their effect on a loaded image, though, so you can determine the color/brightness/saturation change that created the original filter. Only then can you reliably make it for a new palette.

So Nyerguds, the obvious question: will you change C&C TD to include these 2 theaters - Jungle and Barren - (and respective trees)?

I don't think we would "need" more theaters now, we have to make or convert new maps using them (in TD).

I'm not really sure tundra needs a completely new different tileset, I imagine that as a modification to winter, with snow patches, shrubs, etc. Autumn would also be like temperate with yellow/red-leaved trees, patches of leaves, and so on.

I'll look into making the theaters ini-based, just like the rest. Will probably be peanuts, since theaters are completely independent from any other data.

As for when I'll actually manage to release that, though, ugh, no clue. I'll look into the .mrf files issue first, okay?

I was kinda talking about the math/programming behind it... a lot of the methods I found rely on looking at which colours are actually used in an image, and go from there to determine how to change the colours. I obviously can't do anything like that since I need it to work on any image :P

You did a great job creating this! Which tool do you use to edit the terrain tiles?

I was thinking about a bunch of things, modifying temperate a little bit to create an autumn-like theme, with yellow/brown leaves on trees and on ground patches...

Or some otherworldly thing like the Twilight maps on StarCraft.

Right now, I really don't know :)

I would prefer lost alpha stuff shown in the gallery here. So the shore lines in the first picture, unused rock/river terrain or the crashed plane in the last picture.

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=10

Thank you :) I used Paint Shop Pro 7 (!) to create terrain pieces, xcc mixer for shp's, rtmtype and pcx2rmt.

The beta temperate terrain looks really-really cool, with some way too unusual features, like miniature ridges, odd fords, etc. Rocks behave like overlays (e.g. BOXES1-2)...

However I don't think it's a very good idea to make another Temperate terrain set, but rather expand the one we have.

Opinions, suggestions?

Oh Iran, may I ask you to add BARREN to the list of tilesets for both ra95 and raed?