Barren Tileset

Tschokky

Update!

- rivers brightened

- bridge bit darkened

- waterfalls filled with rock

I'm not convinced about the road darkening though, I think's they're a nice contrast to the ugly ground.

Your opinions, suggestions, please! (even about beaches, if you don't like them, it's now or never to change them)

barren_test_3a.png.fcdf43d89eeaaf428406dbd95e843f99.png

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rivers

Well, I've asked for a change so, I'm satisfied with the rivers.

If you wanna make another lighter sample, go ahead. Not because it's necessary, it's just lack of notion for fine tuning now.

Roads

I think it's ok the way it is, to make a contrast. In this case, if you loose the contrast, things might get boring (monotony comes from "mono tone"?). Because the water now is not blue "we" have reduced the contrast a lot, just check river+ground+water. And I think it's ok for a barren scenario resembling a lunar surface or some absence of light.

Beaches

I would ask if you could make one horizontal beach tile with vehicle tracks coming out of water, so we can use it for hovercraft deployment, that would be good. We would probably complement with the road tile in the upper cell. Just an idea, see if it works.

Ground

The ground is not ugly ... rsssrsrsrs

\edit

I saw something now: my monitor is a 22' screen. It gets more colors and brightness in the middle of the vertical axis. Usually is not noticeable, but it was barely noticeable with this tileset.

So, check if you're evaluating in both cases of your monitor (center and extremes), if that would be the case.

Personally, I think the shores should be smoothed out, rather than hard edges, so it's closer to the original game. That's a matter of taste though. :) It still looks decent as-is.

Oh! And your roads have a one pixel gap at the southern side of the bridge and shallows.

There's an inconvenient pattern in the water. It must look like random.

Couldn't you apply a HUE change in the current blue water tile?

Anyway, I really liked this, I'm gonna search for a fan mission about some kind of wasteland.

Nyerguds: oh yeah :D I already changed the palette by the time I made the playtesting screenshots but I haven't seen any glitches. So far.

The problems are filters. Shadows, movement flashes, map shroud edges. You better test these out to see how they look on the modified water. They WILL act odd.