Cannot play multiplayer game with own tunnel server- unable to connect

uildvek

Question

Hello everyone,

For the past few hours I've been trying to setup my own tunnel server for Yuri's revenge to get better pings. I'm running the server on Windows 10 64 bit. After starting the server, I can see it in the list of servers when creating a game, and can even start the game to play if I'm the only human player in the game. However, when another human player is in the game room, the following pops up when I try to start the game:

unable to connect to the specified tunnel server

returned error message: unable to connect to the remote server

I have tried forwarding port 50000 TCP and UDP on my router and also allowing the tunnel server executable in my windows firewall, but neither fixed it. The server does not have a password set. Here's the log from the server:

[Fri Nov 18 20:05:24 EST 2016] CnCNet tunnel starting...

[Fri Nov 18 20:05:24 EST 2016] Name      : MA

[Fri Nov 18 20:05:24 EST 2016] Max clients: 8

[Fri Nov 18 20:05:24 EST 2016] Port      : 50000

[Fri Nov 18 20:05:24 EST 2016] Master    : http://cncnet.org/master-announce

[Fri Nov 18 20:05:24 EST 2016] Host rate limit is 2 games per ip.

[Fri Nov 18 20:05:24 EST 2016] TunnelController: Took 20ms to initialize pool.

[Fri Nov 18 20:05:24 EST 2016] TunnelController started.

[Fri Nov 18 20:05:24 EST 2016] Sending a heartbeat to master server.

One interesting thing to note is that even when there are multiple players in the game room, the tunnel server window still says 0/8 players connected. Not sure if that's normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 answers to this question

Port 50000 TCP and UDP must be forwarded, that's correct.

But you might not be able to connect to the server on your own cause you are running it on your pc and not on a real server.

That means the client is trying to connect to your public ip, but your router may not be smart enough to send the packet back to your pc. Some routers do it, some not. I got one that does it and another old one that doesn't.

So, others may be able to use your server if the port was forwarded correctly, but you probably can't.

You could buy a cheap VPS somewhere in your country and host the server on that, will cost between $1-10 a month-

The cncnet client for the other games has a tunnel built in that is smarter and sends directly to local host rather than the public ip, so it would also be possible to have that in YR if someone adds it

You may need to setup HAIRPIN NAT to get this to work. What that does is NAT's anything from your internal LAN, trying to get to your public IP, to whatever is NATTed (Port forwarded) so basically re-writes packets bound for your public ip, to whatever the internal IP is so it can actually get to where it needs to be.