OpenRA

Irony

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I'm one of the main devs of OpenRA.

First off, thank you for your interest. Unfortunately it has come at kind of a bad time, our releases are currently at an alpha stage at best and we have recently merged some major new features which has brought bugs and instability with it. Please don't be discouraged from trying it out but do be aware that it isn't very stable or polished at the moment.

To those of you struggling to play online, be aware that you'll need to forward ports if you're running a server so people can connect to you. We know it sucks, it's just a low priority problem at the moment compared to the other issues.

To Revolutionary: If you start the game with the command line option: Game.Mods=cnc, it should launch with CnC. We'd love for you to write a mod on the engine, it's made to be highly moddable though do be aware there is currently no documentation.

If you have any questions or feedback or even want to help with development, drop on by our IRC channel: #openra at irc.freenode.net.

Hi guys, I'm one of the main devs of OpenRA.

To Revolutionary: If you start the game with the command line option: Game.Mods=cnc, it should launch with CnC. We'd love for you to write a mod on the engine, it's made to be highly moddable though do be aware there is currently no documentation.

If you have any questions or feedback or even want to help with development, drop on by our IRC channel: #openra at irc.freenode.net.

Welcome to CnC-Comm beedee, Hopefuly we can be helpful with the development of your project and please do pass my congratulations on to the other devs for getting it to this Reasonable and recognisable state :)

Thanks on the info on how to run it in CnC mode .

I would like to look in to modding using this as a platform however Ill happily wait for further and greater  improvements. What is still to be done isn’t going to stop me from making attempts of course, documentation or none, Or from rummaging threw your source code (not that I am likely to be much help but you never know)

Hopefully Ill be some help to you guys and good luck  for the future (at least you didn’t pick a game with Chrono vortexes, heli-carriers and M.A.D. Tanks :P)

Thanks for the info beedee, I made it more clear in the news post

You been messing with my news post  :dry:, nah just kidding hopefuly ill post a bit more news every so often, I should really get back in to things may be  work on B.o.B. or something...

I think I'll stick to expanding the original C&C95 engine though

As much as i like this project Please do continue :D

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I just played the CnCNet game Red Alert and I have to say that compared to OpenRA, it was really bad. I used to play Red Alert when it was released but have since apparently forgotten how primitive it was. It is great that people are still interested in these games and made them playable over the internet and on modern operating systems. But how long would you want to hang on to a game that is closed source, not developed anymore and is out of date? Have most people here played OpenRA? It is a modern game and is very actively developed. The original early Red Alert games are a dead end, they're not going anywhere. And OpenRA is open source, runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

I really recommend everyone who is interested in Red Alert to play OpenRA. It is much better than the original Red Alert but what it lacks is players. From network statistics page of CnCNet I see that there are over 200 players connected at any time. OpenRA has much fewer people and we often have to wait for players before a game starts. So I invite everyone here to at least try OpenRA and play a few games. You will see how great it is and really appreciate it. And the best part of it is that it's open source and actively developed. Look at its issue tracker: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues?state=open . Bug reports, new feature requests are posted daily and they are fixed very quickly. If you don't like some aspect of the game you can post an issue and talk to the developers. It is a clean implementation and not a hack like CnCNet or other similar programs. And it will have Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun support in the future. Check out current developments at https://www.bountysource.com/trackers/36085-openra .

And I guess most people who play CnCNet don't know about OpenRA. Otherwise I couldn't think of a reason why they would play CnCNet instead of OpenRA. So, in summary, I need more people in OpenRA so I don't have to wait for players to start a game  :laugh: And if CnCNet community joined OpenRA to make it better we would have an even faster progress and everyone would benefit. It is much better to contribute to an open source project that runs on all operating systems than hack and make an outdated proprietary game work on modern computers.

Comparing openRa to RA is like comparing frankenstein to a tour de france cyclist.

They have started to become closer to the original RA, infact due to people realizing the above.

I think all the openRa staff and players should drop what they are doing and play/help out with cncnet (Plenty events they can organise). If you want a modern game, look on steam. Planetary Annihilation looks interesting.

But neither Red Alert nor CnCNet is open source. OpenRA is free software so you can change it however you like. And this is the reason why it's a much better game, because lots of people are contributing to it and its development is out in the open.

And why would you want the game to stick to the original? It doesn't even have basic rts features and since it's not open source it never will.

What "basic RTS features" doesn't RA have?

and FYI the most important parts of CnCNet are open source such as the server and the hacks that makes it possible. Only the client is closed source, though anyone can make a client if they want to.

The people who play on CnCNet are people who prefer to play the original games, OpenRA and its mods are currently too different compared to the originals. Many people on CnCNet are also running the game on hardware OpenRA does not support such as the Intel GMA chipsets and tons of older hardware. 

you cannot compare openra to the real red alert, its a completely different game :) Almost everything is different, except the graphics...

People who played red alert for a couple of years online will delete openra right away after a 1minute test since nothing is the same hehe

I noticed that a while ago that you still need the originals for true nostalgia and as recreating them 1:1 is unachievable and undesired (because it means feature removal and implementing legacy bugs that affect the gameplay) so I instead we now point people here https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/FAQ#this-is-not-true-to-the-original although as already mentioned http://redalert1.com is far more popular and not linking back to us anywhere so it is a one-sided link exchange from the wrong side. ;)

There is no ripping of OpenRa going on here, just restating the reality, so that the OP of this conversation context, shuts his mouth.

Cause once he does that, we can do the same.

I dislike shills. Atleast straightforward evangelists are transparent, but knowing the hardcore followers would be with cncnet anywho is a comforting thought.