LAN Games for Red Alert Using CnCNet

VonEsling

Question

Hi all,

Me and my cousin Superdude have been playing Red Alert 1 on CnCnet since Beta days and we have loved having access to the game with so many features. However, we just got the new updated version recently and it seems that the way to play over local area network has changed. It used to just take you to a LAN menu identical to the online menu and you would just join in and go.

Now it says I need to set up a server. However, if I set up the server on my main PC and try to connect with another one, It just says "connecting to...", "can't connect to the IP address" over and over. So my question is, where can I change the IP settings for LAN and how do I get this thing to connect? 

Any help would be super greatly appreciated.

VonEsling

3 answers to this question

LAN doesn't require any settings, everything is automatic. The PC that starts the game first will become the server, all others will find the server automatically. Make sure the LAN server is not blocked by your firewall or anti virus and it should work fine. You need to be connected to the same router of course. If one is connected via cable and the other one via wifi then it might not work.

If you can't figure it out then just use the Online mode instead, it has a new "Automatic" connection setting which will get you connected in the fastest possible way. It will try LAN first, then Online Peer-To-Peer and finally it can also use servers if everything else fails.

I had all three computers hooked up to the same router using ethernet cables. I have the LAN server running as administrator so it should be fine. The only reason I would prefer the LAN is that my internet access is spotty sometimes and I would like to have the option of just using a Local Network.