how to set up home game

novice7821

Question

Hello.

I am a new user. We have two desktop PC at home - windows and ubuntu and we've downloaded CnCNet to both. I'm sure someone has asked this before but we can't find it in the forums. Can someone point us to the instructions to play a game together? My daughter will play on the ubuntu desktop, I will play on the windows, and we will together oppose the computer (AI)!

Thank you for your time.

6 answers to this question

hi!

You will have to start CnCNet on the windows PC first using the LAN button in the game launcher. The windows pc will become the server this way. 

Note: The single-player installer doesn't have a LAN button, use the Play Online button instead and then select LAN at the login dialog.

Now launch CnCNet on ubuntu and press the LAN button there too, it should now automatically find the server on the windows PC and you guys should see each others names in the list. 

Make sure there is no Firewall or Anti-Virus blocking the server on the windows PC.

If it doesn't work for any reason then try the Play Online button instead of the LAN button. You can host a password protected room in online mode as alternative.

Thank you.

I think the McAfee Firewall in Windows is causing me some problems, but I think there are other problems as well. For instance, our ubuntu machine can't ping the Windows, but the Windows can ping the ubuntu. 

Can you tell me the desired network setup: is it sufficient for both PC to wireless connect to the same wifi, or is it preferred they be connected via an Ethernet (cable) connection?

Thank you for your time.

26 minutes ago, novice7821 said:

Thank you.

I think the McAfee Firewall in Windows is causing me some problems, but I think there are other problems as well. For instance, our ubuntu machine can't ping the Windows, but the Windows can ping the ubuntu. 

Can you tell me the desired network setup: is it sufficient for both PC to wireless connect to the same wifi, or is it preferred they be connected via an Ethernet (cable) connection?

Thank you for your time.

wifi should work fine.

Maybe it's easier to just try via Online mode rather than LAN, in Online mode it will automatically route you over one of the servers if a peer-to-peer connection is not possible. 

Indeed, I choose online -> LAN and it worked fine, without having to disable any firewalls.

The ubuntu PC had an ethernet connection to the router so I unplugged that. Once both desktops were on the wireless network it was easy.

Thanks so much!

3 minutes ago, novice7821 said:

Indeed, I choose online -> LAN and it worked fine, without having to disable any firewalls.

The ubuntu PC had an ethernet connection to the router so I unplugged that. Once both desktops were on the wireless network it was easy.

Thanks so much!

Oh, nice!

Thanks for reporting back with the solution