Mac OS Sierra and "red alert" (black screen)

PixelMan

Question

Hey all together

Since one day (I didnt change anything) I see just a black screen after starting a game (multiplayer) in "red alert". 

I can here the music and can choose something by using the keyboard. 

I have installed the current ios version and no other updates are available. 

How can I fix the problem? 

Thanks in advance 

Edited by PixelMan

15 answers to this question

9 hours ago, PixelMan said:

Hey all together

Since one day (I didnt change anything) I see just a black screen after starting a game (multiplayer) in "red alert". 

I can here the music and can choose something by using the keyboard. 

I have installed the current ios version and no other updates are available. 

How can I fix the problem? 

Thanks in advance 

There wasn't any cncnet update for months, so I'm not sure what could have triggered this issue. Try to delete the cncnet.app and re-download

I just looked through the logs and noticed there is unusual high amount of mac users crashing currently, maybe this is related.

I saw there was a macOS update (10.13.4) recently and also another security update apple made just a few days ago. I guess there could be a bug with one of these updates.

All crashes seem to happen while changing the display settings, can you try to change your display mode to "Windowed" in the red alert config program and see if it works then?

Well, I guess we'll have to wait for someone to figure this out then. I don't have a mac so I can't test it. Other programs/games will be affected by this too I'm sure, so it will probably not take too long time until we can find more info about it somewhere.

If you want to test around on your own:

Right click the cncnet.app and click on view package contents, in there you'll find a wineskin .app (I forgot how it's named exactly, but you should find it).

Using the wineskin .app you can configure the wrapper and test different settings. The first thing I would try is changing the setting named "use macdriver instead of x11", disable that and see if it works. You might have to play around with the renderers in the red alert config once you done that, could be that either GDI works or OpenGL (or both).

If that doesn't help then you could try to update to the latest wine version inside the wineskin .app, afterwards toggle "use macdriver instead of x11" again and then test all rendering settings in red alert config again.

3 hours ago, TanjasBitch said:

Hey there,

I'm having the same problem, tried all the different 'advanced' video settings; only black screen (windowed), sound is ok.

Last login: Thu May 24 20:41:33 on ttys000

MacBook-Pro-van-Bjorn:~ Bjorn$ /Applications/CnCNet.app/Contents/Frameworks/bin/Wineskin ; exit;

2018-05-24 20:42:39.509 WineskinLauncher[5828:54801] ERROR, wrapper was re-run with no recognized command line options while already running.  This is a useless operation and ignored.

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Proces voltooid]

20 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

Well, I guess we'll have to wait for someone to figure this out then. I don't have a mac so I can't test it. Other programs/games will be affected by this too I'm sure, so it will probably not take too long time until we can find more info about it somewhere.

If you want to test around on your own:

Right click the cncnet.app and click on view package contents, in there you'll find a wineskin .app (I forgot how it's named exactly, but you should find it).

Using the wineskin .app you can configure the wrapper and test different settings. The first thing I would try is changing the setting named "use macdriver instead of x11", disable that and see if it works. You might have to play around with the renderers in the red alert config once you done that, could be that either GDI works or OpenGL (or both).

If that doesn't help then you could try to update to the latest wine version inside the wineskin .app, afterwards toggle "use macdriver instead of x11" again and then test all rendering settings in red alert config again.

Hey FunkyFr3sh,

Thanks, this was helpfull. I have disabled "use macdriver instead of x11" in Wineskin.app. The game runs, video is ok. 
Renderer: GDI. Only works in full screen mode.

Thx for the help!

TB

Edited by TanjasBitch

On 5/24/2018 at 8:58 PM, TanjasBitch said:

Hey FunkyFr3sh,

Thanks, this was helpfull. I have disabled "use macdriver instead of x11" in Wineskin.app. The game runs, video is ok. 
Renderer: GDI. Only works in full screen mode.

Thx for the help!

TB

Cool!

5 hours ago, PixelMan said:

Hello together

I tried every option and it doesnt work :(

Did you find and changed the "use macdriver instead of x11" setting?

Hey everyone,

I just discovered CnCNet and was able to come up with a possible solution using the tips from above. It's not perfect, but it might help some. FWIW, I got this to work on High Sierra 10.13.1. Alright here we go...

Right click "CnCNet" --> Show Package Contents --> Open Wineskin.app

Select "Set Screen Options" 

Set "Override Wine control of Screen Settings" to "Override"

Deselect "Use Mac Driver instead of X11"

Select "Decorate Windows", "Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D", "Use Direct3D Boost" (not sure if these matter, but I have them selected)

Set "Override Settings" to "Rootless (windowed)"

Select "Virtual Desktop at" and choose a resolution/size for your window.

Set Installer Options to "Force normal windows"

Exit Screen Options

Quit Wineskin

Launch CnCNet. 

Select "Settings" And set the game resolution to same resolution from Wineskin

Set the Renderer to "ddwrapper"

Set Display Mode to "Fullscreen"

Like I said, it's not perfect and some of the menus are cut off at certain resolutions, but gameplay is pretty solid. I hope this helps.

Edited by tiberian_bum
Tested a few more options.

59 minutes ago, tiberian_bum said:

Hey everyone,

I just discovered CnCNet and was able to come up with a workaround for windowed mode using the tips from above. It's not perfect, but it's a nice option if you don't want to commit to full screen. FWIW, I got this to work on High Sierra 10.13.1. Alright here we go...

Right click "CnCNet" --> Show Package Contents --> Open Wineskin.app

Select "Set Screen Options" 

Set "Override Wine control of Screen Settings" to "Override"

Deselect "Use Mac Driver instead of X11"

Select "Decorate Windows", "Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D", "Use Direct3D Boost" (not sure if these matter, but I have them selected)

Set "Override Settings" to "Fullscreen"

Select the resolution/size of your window. Make it smaller than your monitor's resolution.

Set Installer Options to "Force normal windows"

Exit Screen Options

Quit Wineskin

Launch CnCNet. The app will launch fullscreen. 

Hit Cmd+Tab. The app will now be in the top left corner. Unfortunately, you can't move the window, but you can now have other windows open.

Select "Settings" And set the game resolution to same resolution from Wineskin

Set the Renderer to "ddwrapper"

If it enters full screen mode again, just hit Cmd+Tab again.

Like I said, it's not perfect and some of the menus are cut off at certain resolutions, but gameplay is pretty solid. I hope this helps.

Cool, thanks for sharing! What game you tested it with?

No problem! Thanks for creating this software.  :) 

I actually just edited my original post after messing with a few more settings for a more stable solution.

It seems to work with Command & Conquer, Red Alert, and Tiberian Sun, all in Skirmish Mode.