YR Red-Resurrection has arrived!

Grant

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 12:07 PM, FReQuEnZy said:

@OmegaBolt
Using miners in the early game to take back a tech defence?
Sir, you gotta L2P before you mod. ;)

What would I learnt to play before modding? The base game is no fun. ?  Been modding it since I first got the game basically, 13 years ago now.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:29 PM, TaxOwlbear said:

I played through the campaign recently. The quality is generally good, and I like the vast selection of units, but the mod seems to suffer from a common issue: Many units don't fill a niche, or fill a niche that's already occupied.

Any examples? The new units added since 2.1 were added over the course of a years playtesting, with games every week with about 10 different testers all playing - I made very sure all units were used and had a place.

Edited by OmegaBolt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OmegaBolt said:

What would I learnt to play before modding? The base game is no fun. ?  Been modding it since I first got the game basically, 13 years ago now.

Vanilla games, they base games are so much fun once you learn the multiplayer basics to at least a medium-advanced degree.
I know you've been modding, I'm dart5122/dartzo on ppmsite, been following your voxel and mod work for years up till 2010. :P

My comment comes from the result of watching your video, using early game miners to push a tech defence is utterly, idiotic in strategic sense.
The miners should in theory and by good game design be more useful mining, especially at the starting stages.

You should have added air units that are able to deal with structures/units equally.
I highly recommend that you check out some top player's streams and see how they use all of the vanilla arsenal in different scenarios.

3 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

Vanilla games, they base games are so much fun once you learn the multiplayer basics to at least a medium-advanced degree.
I know you've been modding, I'm dart5122/dartzo on ppmsite, been following your voxel and mod work for years up till 2010. :P

My comment comes from the result of watching your video, using early game miners to push a tech defence is utterly, idiotic in strategic sense.
The miners should in theory and by good game design be more useful mining, especially at the starting stages.

You should have added air units that are able to deal with structures/units equally.
I highly recommend that you check out some top player's streams and see how they use all of the vanilla arsenal in different scenarios.

Uhh, well don't we have a weird comment here. I'm not sure what your problem is. First its a 2v2 game, so it's just for fun. Doesn't matter how good I am or not, I wasn't trying to show off - just display some casual mod play. Secondly, using the miner worked, so how was it idiotic? You can hardly say that if you don't know the mod and unit capabilities etc.

I don't mod for top RA2 players, I don't think the base game is very interesting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OmegaBolt said:

Doesn't matter how good I am or not, I wasn't trying to show off - just display some casual mod play.

Yeah, I gathered that, but you were also advertising your mod so I did expect some more 'sensible' gameplay as opposed to the newbie strategy.

20 minutes ago, OmegaBolt said:

Secondly, using the miner worked, so how was it idiotic?

Using your miners to actually mine/increase your resources to tech up faster and use an actual proper counter would have looked better and demonstrated the unique straegies/units present in your mod.

22 minutes ago, OmegaBolt said:

You can hardly say that if you don't know the mod and unit capabilities etc.

From watching the gemplay I saw that costly planes are useless against structures like in MO, why does every modder want to break that important mechanic?
It really irked me, seeing that. Having costly units act as proper counters while fitting a somewhat logically niche is something that I was expecting from a modder I respected based on the assumption that quality voxels/graphics would at least equate to reasonable quality at other parts of the mod/game design.

I'm not speaking as a 'top ra2 player' I'm speaking from having played StarCraft, Warcraft, all C&C except the most recent shit, KKND, Warzone 2100, COH,  which are all good and top rated RTS the unit roles in those games are logical and immediately obvious when played for a bit, yet most modders seem to make this make a bit of everything and attack move at the enemy kind of gameplay.

With MO taking a similar approach however it goes towards the other extreme that every unit counters something specific which is a nightmare to manage enjoyably (it's not fun in the slightest).

51 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

Yeah, I gathered that, but you were also advertising your mod so I did expect some more 'sensible' gameplay as opposed to the newbie strategy.

There are lots of videos on the mod's YouTube page, this isn't the only one. Some are 7 minute 1v1s that are competitive, some are longer team games. People enjoy different kinds of games, there's no way to cater to everyone in one video. You also don't see as much content in a shorter, serious match.

The reason I chose to give Grant that video is because it is the most popular one in recent months. So it must be doing something right.

Using your miners to actually mine/increase your resources to tech up faster and use an actual proper counter would have looked better and demonstrated the unique straegies/units present in your mod.

I didn't lose out on much money, and there were gems nearby. I didn't lose anything of value. It also wouldn't have shown anymore unique strategies... using the miners and infantry, to clear out the enemy and recapture the artillery was as valid a strategy as any other. If I'd built up some siege units or something instead that would've been a lot slower and you would've simply watched me base building until T3 where real siege units are available. Some kind of miner assault is always more fun to see IMO. However, I also wasn't playing towards the camera or something, I was just playing the game normally - which is something I prefer to watch in other people's videos and a more realistic look at the mod anyway.

From watching the gemplay I saw that costly planes are useless against structures like in MO, why does every modder want to break that important mechanic?

It really irked me, seeing that. Having costly units act as proper counters while fitting a somewhat logically niche is something that I was expecting from a modder I respected based on the assumption that quality voxels/graphics would at least equate to reasonable quality at other parts of the mod/game design.

I'm not speaking as a 'top ra2 player' I'm speaking from having played StarCraft, Warcraft, all C&C except the most recent shit, KKND, Warzone 2100, COH,  which are all good and top rated RTS the unit roles in those games are logical and immediately obvious when played for a bit, yet most modders seem to make this make a bit of everything and attack move at the enemy kind of gameplay.

Uhh planes are not useless against structures. The bombers of course are more effective against larger buildings because of their attack pattern, so not good against the small artillery bunker, but 4 can take out a War Factory on T2. If you play really well you can lock out of a player from building vehicles very early on. They're VERY powerful, which lead to so many complaints against them during the beta. Kind of funny that you even say that.

The attack-move kind of gameplay was as avoided here as possible in the engine - again, its quite funny that you say that. I personally think that means you haven't played or seen much of the mod, because simply building a single army and attack moving will not win you the game at all. I explicitly gave every country units that worked better outside of the main army group, gave every country weapons that are best used for side attacks. There's quite a bit of splash damage dealers, making grouping your units inadvisable - even basic MBTs have splash damage as a way of ensuring they are both good counters against groups of light units, but also not cost efficient against other MBTs. Lots and lots of development went into trying to steer away from classic C&C unit blobbing and make every unit have a particular role.

Edited by OmegaBolt
  • Like 1

I dont know much about modding here but I do know that for solid gameplay you need an easily recognised "Rock, paper,sissors" arrangement. Does this mod fulfill that criterea?

55 minutes ago, Myg said:

I dont know much about modding here but I do know that for solid gameplay you need an easily recognised "Rock, paper,sissors" arrangement. Does this mod fulfill that criterea?

Yes, units have specific, clear roles of course. You can see information on all of them on the website (or offline manual included with the mod) http://omegabolt.cncguild.net/

11 hours ago, FReQuEnZy said:

Another question, @OmegaBolt why use so many public resources (graphics) just for the sake of having the same structure look different?
For example the alpha/beta Allied War Factory graphics...

Because I much prefer them. Don't think I've ever made a mod that didn't use them. I never liked the almost textureless, blue glass effect on the vanilla Allied War Factory in particular.

8 hours ago, fir3w0rx said:

Are there campaigns specifically made for this mod? Even non-official fan-made ones? If so where can I find them?

There aren't at this time. Someone was working on a small campaign but I believe they stopped. If you want to look out for missions like that it'd be best to join the discord I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for update the miners now i see that visual when they run over the water, i also ask if i can put the mod in the same folder of YR because i copy-paste the YR folder in another one for install RR there, but i have to few space in my SSD and i see that RR have another folder inside YR, thanks for reply. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I got tired of being swamped by enemies on the last USA campaign mission, so I tried something. I hid my con-yard and proceeded to level up my Abrams that are provided. I ended up never using my con-yard and beat the mission in 13min with just the Abrams. Since you don't deploy the con-yard the enemy never triggers the endless annoying hordes of doom.

Obviously this is an exploit, but it's well deserved because that mission sucks and needs to be rebalanced. WAY too many enemy attacks WAY too often.