Big City Life (4-8) - Active Urban Map

eliteGi

It's been a good 12 years since I made a RA2 map! This is actually a map I started to make way back when, but at the time my ideas couldn't really be used as they would have caused lag on the window XP machines and it was too big to transfer back then.

Untitled4.thumb.png.c8dc528a3a06dd626973c0050f3355fd.png

This is a large 4v4 (left v right) urban map created for online play. Each starting point on each side offers something different - as all good maps should. There are limited resources at the starting points so a fight within the city for resources will break out.

The map has plenty of bells and whistles but I didn't want any of it to be overly distracting. Map starts at noon but the sun will set and the lamposts will turn on to create a city ambience. There are even some flickering lamposts about because hey no city is perfect and who has the money for the engineers these days? The day/night cycle will then continue as the days of battle go by. Drawn out battles may also see naval warfare.

The map looks bright below because the renderer takes the snap with the posts on during noon. Don't worry your eyes won't be seared like the image suggests.

1946568701_BigCityLife.thumb.jpg.020c73670ef94e743b3e91f375ba7809.jpg

bigcitylife.map

Edited by eliteGi
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

The creativity is excellent.

My concern here is the amount of money available for a 4v4 game. It seems like every spot has very limited amounts of ore. It feels like there is a vast importance on the northern-middle plot of gems/ore + 2 oil derricks. The side that captures that early on will not only have the large resource advantage, but also land advantage there.

Thanks guys!

There is indeed high importance on the northern mining site. To note: the excavators actually work so the gem amount decreases from the start. There are 6 other derricks and ore/gems in tge city too so theres a few important spots to fight over. 

This was my intention - i didnt want a regular bunker city map. Agression is key on this one!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fir3w0rx said:

It reminds me of Circuit Board :D

I can see the resemblance with the island-bridge setup :)

Can someone please playtest the map? I just went for a skirmish and had an internal error - didnt get one on my other test run so not sure if it's the map or my game :S

9 hours ago, McPwny said:

i played it and couldn't replicate an IE, but an excavator was mining the right ore patch instead of the middle one though. very beautiful map.

Thanks!! Yes i noticed that the pesky little digger. I think it may be my game though nothing should cause errors on there! Id like to test it with 8 on the client but its rough trying to get 8 into a game

@eliteGi
What's causing your map to lag is due to the number of lights you have used.
Even a modern supercomputer like mine would lag under that emulation load of rendering all those, deploying a handful of desolators across the map already causes lag, so never mind 20+ light posts.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

1 hour ago, FReQuEnZy said:

@eliteGi
What's causing your map to lag is due to the number of lights you have used.
Even a modern supercomputer like mine would lag under that emulation load of rendering all those, deploying a handful of desolators across the map already causes lag, so never mind 20+ light posts.

Well thats why i didnt end up making this map a good few years ago. But the map runs really smoothly on my pc and went completely fine with a 2v2 online.

It may be why my ra2 had an ie but i think its likely to be my client.

I was going to script in traffic including some cop car chases etc... ?