Canot play Manjaro XFCE

pizzahat

Question

Hey everyone.  I've been working on making the switch over to Manjaro and everything is great so far.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to get CNCnet working for Red Alert. I have tried the Manjaro package and the Windows package via Wine, and I have Wine mono and about as many other Wine packages that I can think of. I am running what is pretty much a fresh install of Manjaro XFCE on an AMD A8 based laptop with 8gb of RAM and plenty of space on the SSD. These are my two problems in more detail, I appreciate any advice or direction in advance:

1. Manjaro Package Installer: Everything seems to process correctly up until the very end. The installer hangs at "Finishing Installation... Installing .NET framework 2.0" for about a minute then it just goes away and CNCnet will not open via the program shortcut. I've run the script at the bottom of my post a few times to retry the process, but no dice.

2. Windows .exe installer via Wine. The installation goes on without a hitch, and Red Alert is able to open successfully.  Every time I pick the "Online" option, the application crashes without an error. I've tried selecting several different resolution and rendering options.

rm -rf ~/.local/share/cncnet

2 answers to this question

On 9/4/2019 at 5:30 AM, FunkyFr3sh said:

I just installed manjaro in a virtual machine and had the same problem, seems like the wine version (4.13) they currently ship is broken. I updated to wine 4.15 and everything started to work just fine, so you will probably have to do the same for now.

Good call, this worked like a charm for me.  Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

• Like 1