Veterancy modding

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to this, but I wanted to make some slight changed to the veterancy settings in the rules.ini and firestorm.ini. I was using the guide from this website: http://tiberian.iwarp.com/editingguidetots.htm to get me started. There are a few things I don't understand. There are VeteranAbilities and EliteAbilities, as well as a bundge of multipliers for veterancy bonuses (veteran factors). I figured out that to make the veteran factors work, they need to be in correspondence with the VeteranAbility or EliteAbility it corresponds with (e.g. "VeteranCombat" factor corresponds with the "FIREPOWER" VeteranAbility that is to be added in the unit characteristics under VeteranAbility or EliteAbility (if I'm off somewhere, please correct me).

What I want to achieve is a veterancy bonus for FIREPOWER for example when the unit gains veterancy and I would like to give it another bonus when it turns elite. The sample below is how I tried to achieve that with the Hover MRLS:

---

Name=Hover MLRS
Category=AFV
TargetLaser=yes
FireAngle=32
Prerequisite=GAWEAP,GARADR
Primary=HoverMissile
TooBigToFitUnderBridge=true
Strength=230
Armor=wood
TechLevel=7
CrateGoodie=yes
Sight=7
Speed=7
Owner=GDI
Cost=900
Turret=yes
Points=30
ROT=5
Crusher=no
Crewed=yes
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
VoiceSelect=25-I000,25-I002,25-I004,25-I006
VoiceMove=25-I012,25-I014,25-I016,25-I018,25-I022
VoiceAttack=25-I014,25-I022,25-I024,25-I026
VoiceFeedback=
MaxDebris=4
SpeedType=Hover
Locomotor={4A582742-9839-11d1-B709-00A024DDAFD1}
MovementZone=AmphibiousDestroyer
ThreatPosed=25    ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
DamageParticleSystems=SparkSys,SmallGreySSys
VeteranAbilities=FASTER,STRONGER,FIREPOWER,ROF,SIGHT
EliteAbilities=SELF_HEAL,FASTER,STRONGER,FIREPOWER,ROF,SIGHT

---

When I test this, I found it only get's the bonus on first veterancy, but not a second time when going to Elite (even though that is what I put in the rules.ini).

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong and how should I achieve this? It is simply meant to make the whole deal of gaining veterancy and elite status more gratifying.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

A unit can't obtain the same veteran bonus more than once; that is, putting the same bonus in both VeteranAbilities and EliteAbilities won't make it stack. In this case, what you could do is give the unit an elite weapon (Elite=weaponname) which is stronger.