may update and rebalance wtf

McPwny

the thread is locked but ive got to give my two cents on this. i have seen the maps included in the may update post and i must say that i am kind of disappointed with what i am seeing. some of these look awful. just look at 'fountain of youth'; it looks like a 1 hour map job and has infinite resources. this is official? or 'whistler'? same thing. im not oblivious to the fact that the author of these maps is getting these official because they are sitting in the cncnet discord or whatever and pushing their maps to the devs, but in my eyes this is bullshit because not only has no one asked the cncnet community if they think these maps are up to par, and they arent, but also because its unfair to the people, here in this forum even, that are making maps way waaaayyy better than this and their maps are being ignored.

• Like 4

Hi McPwny, the new maps come from a range of 10 map makers or so from the community and all new maps are currently very popular Custom maps. It is not  intentional that any great map or creator is ignored, I am already in contact with more map makers who will be contributing their maps as well.

• Upvote 2

okay but when are we going to talk about how this map, which is the pinnacle definition of the phrase "half assed", has made it into the list of official maps along with original westwood works and timeless masterpiece works of passionate mappers? 
image.thumb.png.24f9ba27f436e558109f2d9856f872e4.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, McPwny said:

okay but when are we going to talk about how this map, which is the pinnacle definition of the phrase "half assed", has made it into the list of official maps along with original westwood works and timeless masterpiece works of passionate mappers? 

i agree

lets play path beyond 2 sometime mate

Edited by scalpem

4 hours ago, McPwny said:

Haha Scalpem is joking, he is the map creator. This map is a quite popular 4v4 map, if you think the aesthetic needs improving I can work with the creator on that. Overall it is pretty good in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/27/2021 at 4:34 PM, McPwny said:

... dont be so quick to dismiss such a breakthrough in fa2 usability fan-made maps just because you cant make.... obscenely large game breaking maps kind of disappointed with what you are seeing and some of these look awful? for now. consider going to the github and helping the devs or contributing to them directly give them money (non-edited original post).

i get that people like 4v4 maps and even that people might like unlimited resource maps but jesus christ the cliffs and dirt roads are just straight lines. just look at those trees and tell me that this honors the quality of westwood maps. or of the other maps made by other artists over periods of days not hours. what was the long series of bad decisions that led up to this being OK'd into the client?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i get it dude, sometimes you just want something fun to play and its easy to just 'lolz' some shit together quick in FA2 and load it into cncnet fileshare. but there are mass file dumps with actual thousands of maps like that and the whole point of having official maps is to distinguish the best of the best maps from the rest and present them to the playerbase as official.

ive found out that basically whats happened here is a certain 1 user has kissed some ass to get some privileges from the disinterested cncnet devs and proceeded to unceremoniously crap on the clients quality control. ive since brought it up with the devs

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 8:23 PM, McPwny said:

i get it dude, sometimes you just want something fun to play and its easy to just 'lolz' some shit together quick in FA2 and load it into cncnet fileshare. but there are mass file dumps with actual thousands of maps like that and the whole point of having official maps is to distinguish the best of the best maps from the rest and present them to the playerbase as official.

ive found out that basically whats happened here is a certain 1 user has kissed some ass to get some privileges from the disinterested cncnet devs and proceeded to unceremoniously crap on the clients quality control. ive since brought it up with the devs

good. i would bring it up with as many devs as possible. westwood is still very active in making more maps so lets really not get too crazy with this fan hosted cnc servers. if it were up to me i would reduce the maps to 2-3 (heck.. animal park.. siberian waist..)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

you act sarcastically butthurt that i called your map trash and then proceed to act genuinely butthurt that i called you map trash... anyways, im going to go right ahead and call it trash again right here to your face and you can choose to be whatever amount of butthurt you like.

On 5/3/2021 at 1:28 PM, McPwny said:

i get that people like 4v4 maps and even that people might like unlimited resource maps but jesus christ the cliffs and dirt roads are just straight lines. just look at those trees and tell me that this honors the quality of westwood maps. or of the other maps made by other artists over periods of days not hours. what was the long series of bad decisions that led up to this being OK'd into the client?

We can work on it

The biggest thing I like is when Ravage takes a Westwood studio map and removes a few gold tiles there then writes that this is a Westwood and Ravage map. it looks like a joke, but in the list of official maps in the client, many Westwood maps in the line "author" contain Ravage and Westwood.

Imagine a situation when Vasya takes a picture of Mona Lisa and draws her mustache. After that he signs the painting "Vasya and Leonardo da Vinci". We Russians have several irreducible expressions that describe this situation well. I'll just say that it looks quite cheap and shows a low level of culture. I think that you guys should get rid of this silly absurdity.

Ravage does this not only with westwood maps but also with maps of other authors too. Apparently at a certain time this was one of the conditions for getting into the official list of maps.
earlier in the author line was also indicated that Ravage (proedited Map). Now they got rid of these excesses and there it is written without unnecessary additions: the author is "Ravage and Westwood". I think if this goes on in the future, it will be possible to simply get rid of Westwood and to write that the author of the map is Ravage.
I once already created a topic about this:

• Thanks 1

funny you should mention that here since he did basically the same thing with an experimental version of FA2 in this post

by taking the editor, which was made by a guy called "secsome", and making 'pro edits' to the editor and then renaming the editor after his little cncnet group without even crediting the original author.... the version of fa2 in his post is already obsolete by several versions because secsomes fa2 mod is still being developed, by the way.

anyways, i talked to ravage about 2 months ago and it turns out that he was so offended by the things that burg was doing to the client, particularly the maps, that he actually stopped contributing to cncnet. i dont always see eye to eye with him but can at least respect that he cares so much about the quality of the content in cncnet

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 12:39 AM, McPwny said:

This map is awesome. Especially with that cliff in the middle that just begs for deployed choppers... I call it "CliffyC", just like Cliff Slide or whatever it's called...

Edited by xe3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2021 at 11:30 PM, McPwny said:

the thread is locked but ive got to give my two cents on this. i have seen the maps included in the may update post and i must say that i am kind of disappointed with what i am seeing. some of these look awful. just look at 'fountain of youth'; it looks like a 1 hour map job and has infinite resources. this is official? or 'whistler'? same thing.

I was angry at Burg for editing my ladder maps with this same half-assed approach and in return he took and edited my balance patch that was two years in development, hundreds of hours spent on play testing iterations. I even arranged a tournament with €100 of my own money for the prize to test this patch. 
Instead of waiting till the tournament end and letting me tweak it based on player feedback, he took the patch file I provided for the client update and just edited with his buddies in a single night, without any consultation with me. 

Now I get messages from players who helped me play-test the patch iterations asking "WTF?"
Oh, they also removed my ability to argue against what they did in the Yuri Discord and then they banned me after I left the Discord...

If you're wondering why the quality control has gotten so bad look at the maps of the person in control.

Edited by RaVaGe
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 10:30 AM, [CC] RaVaGe said:

I was angry at Burg for editing my ladder maps with this same half-assed approach and in return he took and edited my balance patch that was two years in development, hundreds of hours spent on play testing iterations. I even arranged a tournament with €100 of my own money for the prize to test this patch. 
Instead of waiting till the tournament end and letting me tweak it based on player feedback, he took the patch file I provided for the client update and just edited with his buddies in a single night, without any consultation with me. 

Now I get messages from players who helped me play-test the patch iterations asking "WTF?"
Oh, they also removed my ability to argue against what they did in the Yuri Discord and then they banned me after I left the Discord...

If you're wondering why the quality control has gotten so bad look at the maps of the person in control.

I didn't edit any of "your" maps as you don't own any maps in the ladder.

Your development process is not very effective as you refuse to work with others, see the previous Yuri Rebalance patch and see its lack of success. 
The YRR 2.0 patch is a community effort, not driven by one person.

You were banned from the YR discord after excessive toxicity and flaming, funny you know that you were banned since actually you left then ultimately tried to rejoin as you usually do. Try and improve your communication skills without resorting to personal insults and you may help the community get better ?

• Upvote 2