The Right to Delete Maps

Sam-I-am

Question

Hi, everyone.

When a host selects a map, other players in the room are asked to download it to be able to see and play it, if they don't already have it, and often times, undecided hosts keep picking different maps to preview them before selecting one.

So, players are left with 2 not very good options. Either to download the maps that the host picks, cluttering their clients with so many unnecessary maps that they probably would never play, OR to not download the maps, and not be able to preview or play them either.
You can download, but you can't delete!

This is especially irritating with cheat-maps; fake maps which look totally identical to original ones (same pic, title, everything) but with unfair edits.
You can't easily tell which one is which, and even if you can, you won't be able to get rid of the fake ones, and you may also "distribute" it to others, unknowingly.

My suggestion is to add two useful options which were available back in the day in the original client:
1- Enable players to preview the map before downloading it (makes sense).
2- Add a "Delete" button which would make it much easier to remove clutter maps, with the ability to multi-select them (Ctrl + Select) & (Ctrl A + Unselect) to delete all but the ones unselected.

You can also add a "Select" button, so that just clicking the map would only preview it, and not require others to download it until the host decides to "Select" it.

I only play a few maps (about 10), but I have over 1,000 maps which I don't want, and the only way to delete them is by going to the game files, and it's not that easy either, because map names are encrypted, so I don't know which ones to delete and which to keep.

I'm really surprised that the "Delete" button is not yet available.
The client's been created about 6 years ago. This is a key feature, and it's relatively simple to add, compared to the many less-important features that have already been added.

I'm not complaining. Just expressing my shock ??

2 answers to this question

On 1/4/2022 at 4:52 PM, Sam-I-am said:

Hi, everyone.

When a host selects a map, other players in the room are asked to download it to be able to see and play it, if they don't already have it, and often times, undecided hosts keep picking different maps to preview them before selecting one.

So, players are left with 2 not very good options. Either to download the maps that the host picks, cluttering their clients with so many unnecessary maps that they probably would never play, OR to not download the maps, and not be able to preview or play them either.
You can download, but you can't delete!

This is especially irritating with cheat-maps; fake maps which look totally identical to original ones (same pic, title, everything) but with unfair edits.
You can't easily tell which one is which, and even if you can, you won't be able to get rid of the fake ones, and you may also "distribute" it to others, unknowingly.

My suggestion is to add two useful options which were available back in the day in the original client:
1- Enable players to preview the map before downloading it (makes sense).
2- Add a "Delete" button which would make it much easier to remove clutter maps, with the ability to multi-select them (Ctrl + Select) & (Ctrl A + Unselect) to delete all but the ones unselected.

You can also add a "Select" button, so that just clicking the map would only preview it, and not require others to download it until the host decides to "Select" it.

I only play a few maps (about 10), but I have over 1,000 maps which I don't want, and the only way to delete them is by going to the game files, and it's not that easy either, because map names are encrypted, so I don't know which ones to delete and which to keep.

I'm really surprised that the "Delete" button is not yet available.
The client's been created about 6 years ago. This is a key feature, and it's relatively simple to add, compared to the many less-important features that have already been added.

I'm not complaining. Just expressing my shock ??

1. Each map file actually has an image file associated with it which is what's displayed in the preview. It might be possible to have a "preview" button next to the "download" button. In either case, you're going to have to download something. The point of the "preview" button with the "download" button would be to prevent your system from automatically downloading each preview every time a host is unable to make a decision... My suggestion for now is just wait until they've settled on something before you click the download button.
2. There actually is the ability to delete maps files from the Skirmish lobby. You can right-click on any maps in the list from that lobby and there is a Delete option. I'm not exactly sure why the option isn't also enabled in the Multiplayer lobby. Looking into it myself, it looks as though it was explicitly disabled. I'll try and look into it further, but for now the Skirmish lobby is your work around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, thank you very much, sir :)

On 1/27/2022 at 1:19 PM, Devo1929 said:

Each map file actually has an image file associated with it

I play unofficial maps (\Maps\Custom) and those do not have separate image files, and not all .map files show the actual map title.

On 1/27/2022 at 1:19 PM, Devo1929 said:

There actually is the ability to delete maps files from the Skirmish lobby.

I haven't used the Skirmish lobby in a long time, so I didn't notice that, but deleting them one by one isn't the most practical thing anyway ?
I also didn't notice the option to favorite maps before you mentioned it in another post.

So for now I'll just favorite my most played ones and keep the rest until there is an easier way ?

But I do appreciate your help.
Thanks again for your interest ?