C&C Storyline inspiration?

pichorra

Has anybody here wondered what inspired the Command & Conquer storyline at all? Is Kane based in any literature character, or even the game everyoment at all?

- I'm reading George Orwell's 1984 and I can assimilate a lot of stuffs there, like Mass media manipulation and dangerous ideals. Kane's quote in RA installation is obviously inspired from there.

- I've read the First three books from Dune's series, but I can only see a obvious similarity with Tiberium and Spice.

Anything else? :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, there are Biblical references in C&C. You'll notice that Cain was a farmer and Able, his brother (whom Cain murders) is a shepherd. The GDI general is Gen. Mark Shepherd.

I would say that the 'Orwellian' idea IS very much a part of C&C, and if you've ever looking into the 'New World Order' theories etc, there are ties to this also. (Which is all part of the same thing.

Not sure if I want to get into details as I'm them getting political, and can get banned from here. haha.

The 3 things I've found were.

1. The company over seeing C&C1 and Dune2 was 'virgin entertainment'. The worship or whatever of the virgin is somehow supposed to be connected. I'll let you do your own research.

2. There was a promo poster (it's uploaded somewhere in this forum), which opens with something like: Welcome to the New World Order, where perpetual war is...

(and at a stretch) 3. Ordos are NO part of the Dune novel, they are fully invented.

Ordos are described insidious

-1. intended to entrap or beguile: an insidious plan.

-2. stealthily treacherous or deceitful: an insidious enemy.

-3. operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect

and are also described as 'traders and brokers' and as a cartel. This is pretty much exactly who are meant to be the group pushing for the 'New World Order'.

I've tried to find the poster, but can't seem to locate it. Maybe someone else knows which thread it's in.

Again. I don't want to get into a too bigger discussion, but there do seem to be links.

-Liam

Indeed, there are Biblical references in C&C. You'll notice that Cain was a farmer and Able, his brother (whom Cain murders) is a shepherd. The GDI general is Gen. Mark Shepherd.

It would come unnoticed if I read the bible in my native language. Cool.

I would say that the 'Orwellian' idea IS very much a part of C&C, and if you've ever looking into the 'New World Order' theories etc, there are ties to this also. (Which is all part of the same thing.

Indeed. That's why i'm posting this thread.

Not sure if I want to get into details as I'm them getting political, and can get banned from here. haha.

That's true. Can we have a exception here, Tore?

The 3 things I've found were.

1. The company over seeing C&C1 and Dune2 was 'virgin entertainment'. The worship or whatever of the virgin is somehow supposed to be connected. I'll let you do your own research.

I will try to find it out.

2. There was a promo poster (it's uploaded somewhere in this forum), which opens with something like: Welcome to the New World Order, where perpetual war is...

I've tried to find the poster, but can't seem to locate it. Maybe someone else knows which thread it's in.

Again. I don't want to get into a too bigger discussion, but there do seem to be links.

Maybe Nyerguds have it lying in his hardrive?

(and at a stretch) 3. Ordos are NO part of the Dune novel, they are fully invented.

Ordos are described insidious

-1. intended to entrap or beguile: an insidious plan.

-2. stealthily treacherous or deceitful: an insidious enemy.

-3. operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect

and are also described as 'traders and brokers' and as a cartel. This is pretty much exactly who are meant to be the group pushing for the 'New World Order'.

I Forgot to mention that. I could not find any trace of Ordos in the book. I will also take a look into the "New world theory".

Well, "War is Peace" is a double think. To convince people that something, which is what people would obviously be against, is in fact it's opposite. So again, maybe. But a lot of it is a big maybe.

The Book and the snake yes, I think there maybe connection there, again, all a bit of a stretch, but maybe.

-Liam

House Ordos have a small reference in "The Dune Encyclopedia". On a quick search I could not find anything else besides its logo, and it's funny, because there the Snake and the Book is the simbol of House Wallach.

"House Wallach: Sable on a pale (a vertical band) argent, a closed book tenné encircled by a serpent vert."

"House Ordos: Or two bones white per saltire, in dexter chief entwined with ivy vert."

I really don't belive that Westwood would do such error.

In 1984, Orwell wrote about some scientists working on some kind of new weapons, like an Orbital solar beam and tanks that can dig and travel underground. So maybe they also got some ideas from there for the Ion Cannon and the Tiberian Sun's Devil's Tongue and the Nod's APC, and even maybe for the Nod Mission 10A in Tiberian Dawn

World War I is also heavily referenced. The Temple in Sarajevo, and Sheppard mentioning it in the final briefing. Also, look up the real Black Hand organization from that time. Visually though, the largest inspiration was the Gulf War. The concept of Nod also seems to be most closely related to, and thus probably inspired by, the Muslim Brotherhood (look that up too).

the kane to gdi commander  quote in your posts reminds me of this Orwell quote

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."  George Orwell

It strikes me that Kane is the archtype of the force of evil.

I would expect similarities specific to certain people from all cultures and ages

as the nature of people the archtype represents transcends discrete periods of time and culture

• 1 month later...

Bumping, for a (very) slightly related to the OP bit of inspiration. This has been in the back of my mind for almost 20 years:

judas-priest-killing-machine-20130714182006.jpg

It's quite apparent that the sleeve for Judas Priest's 1978 Killing Machine LP (a.k.a. Hell Bent for Leather in the USA) was a direct influence on C&C's box style.

• 1 month later...

In the Bible...

There were two brothers (born from Adam & Eve) named Cain and Abel.

Cain killed Abel.

God cursed Cain.

Cain left to the land of Nod.

Cain had more kids... etc.

Adam & Even had another kid named Seth.

So...

The reference to Kane would be Cain.

The reference to the Brotherhood of Nod would be the land of Nod.

If you read the bible carefully, it mentions the family line after Seth including their own death.

However, there is no mention of death in Cain's family line.

Also, let's not forget... God cursed Cain by putting a mark on him so that whoever found him wouldn't kill him.

That includes death.

So, when the Angel of Death (aka Grim Reaper) finds him... it will leave him alone... leaving him to be immortal.

Could it be that Cain is immortal?

If so, could today's Kane be the same Cain?

There's also another reference that's not in the Bible.

Ever heard of Project Rainbow... aka the Philadelphia Experiment?

That's where the chrono technology comes from.

If you've played Red Alert (the first one) enough times, you may have noticed a vortex appearing randomly and zapping people away.

That's exactly what happened in The Philadelphia Experiment movie.

Those who escaped the experiment and ended up where they didn't belong (out of time), they were zapped back in by the portal.

Through the C&C series, Kane shows hints that he IS immortal.

Here a little comic story of 3 meme's combined :)

0.jpg

one_does_not_simply_kill_the_messiah7Yqw4_display.png

Hug-the-Ion-beam-command-and-conquer-19726396-750-600.jpg

The original got killed by the ION cannon?

In TS he returns.

Then you discover that was actually a clone, the real kane might be cabal? Makes this the first one still the original or a clone? Maybe cabal is also a clone.

In C&C3, he just walks around, no hints whatsoever.

Have not played C&C4, but there he goes back in time?

Any way, in all that time, he never "aged". What is the time span from dawn to nr.4?

What was he doing in RA1? That one makes no sense.

Through the C&C series, Kane shows hints that he IS immortal.

Here a little comic story of 3 meme's combined :)

The original got killed by the ION cannon?

In TS he returns.

Then you discover that was actually a clone, the real kane might be cabal? Makes this the first one still the original or a clone? Maybe cabal is also a clone.

In C&C3, he just walks around, no hints whatsoever.

Have not played C&C4, but there he goes back in time?

Any way, in all that time, he never "aged". What is the time span from dawn to nr.4?

What was he doing in RA1? That one makes no sense.

Remember, he's immortal.

When the Allies win, Kane is forced underground and wait to emerge again in Tiberian Dawn.

When the Soviets win, Kane becomes the leader.