Tiberian Sun patches - Fix for the windows 8 / 10 menu problems and more

FunkyFr3sh

When running TS (with any sort of fix or patch) I either get nasty menu glitches (which is explained here) or run into hundreds and hundreds of crashes.

I'm using windows 8.1 and am playing entirely for the singleplayer (because multiplayer looks like arse).

One other thing, if you play with a second screen when you drag over to the side to where the screen is pasted the mouse actually moves over, and so clicking meant the game tabbed out, and crashed ¬_¬

I just installed the patch over a copy I downloaded from Origin as part of The Ultimate collection and whenever I click "Play offline", it just crashes. the Launcher window goes away and nothing happens. No load attempt, no screen changes, nothing. It just acts like I quit straight out.

Any idea how to fix this?

I'm on Windows 7.

Also, FWIW, the download link given for the RA1 patch gives me a virus alert when I try to download the patch.

EDIT: False alarm on the TibSun problem. Turns out there was a process running for the game's executable, so every time I tried to start up the game again from the launcher, it would think the game was already running and not do anything.  I quashed that process and now everything seems to be running smoothly.

So... yeah. Crisis averted.

Still get a virus warning from that RA patch link though.

That problem with the running process is actually well known for origin, it happens for many of their games and I should update my patch to add a check for that to ensure everything is working :)

About the red alert 1 patch:

Scan results are 0/57 on virustotal, so you either have a anti virus program which is not listed on virtustotal.com or you did enable some kind of paranoid detection settings in your anti virus program. What anti virus program do you have?

https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/84c00c6bf548aa0b9acdc68b5576433a1b04256c6ee30254e1590c9398de54de/analysis/1425099959/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have several problems wth this game. First, I used the old 1.2 Installer. I kept the video files on my hard drive and copied them. Then, I installed cncnetv5. Tried to play, but got the menu bug. (The game freezes when I try to open a menu in the main menu. Next, I installed your patch. Same problem here. I also got a screen resolution problem when I start a multiplayer over the ts-spawn.exe. I only see the half screen in the upper corner of the monitor. This also happens with Dune 2000 Gruntmods Edition and RtCW (Except the lowest resolution!). I brought a new monitor last month (Acer XB240 with g-sync) because my old one broke... Since then, I have this problem with a lot old games in fullcreen... Tried 60 hz mode, turned g-sync off. Nothing worked! And know, the scaling is not the problem. I tried it alredy in the nvidia control panel. I uploaded an image of M&M 8 (GOG Edition with Grayface patch!) to show you guys what I mean. As I sayed, I have this problem only with ts-spawn.exe. GAME.exe runs well to the main menu... Then, menu bug!

Then, there is the new installer, 1.3 Beta10. I've tried it and when I run the game, I simply get a black screen in fullcreen mode. When I run it in windowed mode, I must move the window with cursor. Then I get a normal screen. But when iam trying to hit a button in the main menu, guess what? menu bug. But it's a bit different. The menu doenst freeze in this version, the buttons turn into white squares. :(

And I'am a little bit confused about Red Alert. You have two Installers. One is for online only and your's is for the full game. I have an old version that is called FullRA.exe. Your version includes everything whats in FullRA.exe, except The Lost (Video)Files. The file I have in that version is called "movies-tlf.mix". I want to use your version instead of my old one, but how we can integrate the TLF into your version? And I have to thank you all because your patches for C&C95 and RA are so good! This games are working perfectly on my new monitor!  :D

Iam using Win7 x64.

mm8_screen_error.jpg.ea9e349d6423b7fb440cc2facba8a9bc.jpg

A lot people have such problems recently, all of them are using nvidia cards. One of them recorded a video, is that how it looks for you too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aKQJf6WqYg

I would suggest you to try multiple older versions of the drivers

The lost files videos and ps1 music addons are linked in my ra1 thread here on the forums too, you have to extract them to the game folder and it should work fine

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1918.0

• 1 month later...

I downloaded the Patch and now the game ask me to insert a CD :-\ Have I done anything wrong? :(

Edit: My fault.. I installed it over the TS installer from here.

but is the TS installer outdated? Because I don't have the TSLauncher after installing and I can't select other resolutions than 640x480 and 800x600

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, everytime I launch tib sun through the patch shortcut and go to the settings I get this annoying Unhandled Exception error with a lovely long list of what exactly has gone wrong... which also gives me the option to continue or quit.

If I continue to the settings and apply the settings I do want and then click apply or ok I get the same error.

I know the settings have taken effect though cause the resolution is at the one I want it and the graphics patch is enabled and all but for some reason whenever my desktop wallpaper changes (it changes every 2 minutes If I remember right) it flickers right through the game for a second and then fades back to the game...

Also if I hit the start button in game I've pretty much doomed myself cause even if I try to alt tab myself back to the game all I'll get will be my desktop with the invisible game on top of it with my mouse moving over my units and ever issuing orders but without me being able to see any of it!

The funny thing with this, is that it worked sometime ago even with windows 10... and then it just stopped... I have no clue why...

I've tried with origin-ingame disabled as well and the results are pretty much the same...

Not to mention how horrendously long it now takes to load a stupid save!!

With Windows 7 it might have taken a literal second and now I can dunk an entire oreo and finish it off and it still would be loading!

Can you post the logs of the config program? Would help a lot :)

The bug with the desktop wallpaper changing is new to me, have no solution for that one sadly.

Alt+TAB (Windows Key) doesn't work on Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10, you won't be able to get back into the game, there is no proper solution for it yet

I heard about the save game problems before, cannot explain why it takes so long though. Got no testing machine to look at it

Hi guys, just wanted to share that I fixed NO MENUS / INVISIBLE MENUS / FREEZE issues with installing my favorite 337.88 geforce driver, Tib Sun now runs perfect as before. Game is licensed First Decade + community patch 103 rev4.

P.S. For ATI Radeon users: try similarly to roll back to older drivers until the game is in working state.

Hi guys, just wanted to share that I fixed NO MENUS / INVISIBLE MENUS / FREEZE issues with installing my favorite 337.88 geforce driver, Tib Sun now runs perfect as before. Game is licensed First Decade + community patch 103 rev4.

Are you using windows 7?

Thanks for sharing the solution, I will add the info to the first post!

No problem, when my favorite game is in trouble, I had to shout all over internet about my solution. I had no need for any microsoft update since 2010, nor do I need win10 until some great game with dx12 only comes out, but some people just love to update stuff.

I'll add a tip for ATI Radeon users to my original post.

Cheers!

There's a config program!?

Oh wait... You mean the lovely long list of what went wrong, hehehe

Is there a way of truncating things or such? it's rather long... No matter I'll just save it into notepad and attach it as a text file.

Also the save files loading might be something wrong with my hard disk actually...

During the Win 10 installation for unknown reasons a sector somewhere got corrupted or something bad and even though things have pretty much gone back to normal just to screw me over my read speeds are still strangely random everynow and then...

So maybe it's that which is causing that issue... Though obviously I can live it so it's not that much of a big deal.

Tib_Sun_Config_Error_File.txt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just stumbled across this awesome project! Much respect & well done to everyone involved.

There seems to be an issue with the menus inside the game as mentioned in this post. Is the fix already integrated in the TSInstaller or do I need to grab it from here?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question!

Edit:

I installed the patch (nice look on the new GUI) however inside the game I still get invisible menus. Where am I going wrong?

Edit 2:

Specs incase they help

Win 10 10240

Intel HD 3000 / ATI 6850m

hi FunkyMike!

Sounds strange, I think you are the first one who didn't get it working by installing the patch! Try to mess around with the rendering options in the Tiberian Sun Config program

Actually you should not apply the patch on a custom installation like the one from TSInstaller, some videos might not be working anymore now. TSInstaller applies the needed patches too, so you better re-install the game (in case you can fix the menu problems via the rendering options)

hi FunkyMike!

Sounds strange, I think you are the first one who didn't get it working by installing the patch! Try to mess around with the rendering options in the Tiberian Sun Config program

Actually you should not apply the patch on a custom installation like the one from TSInstaller, some videos might not be working anymore now. TSInstaller applies the needed patches too, so you better re-install the game (in case you can fix the menu problems via the rendering options)

Hi FunkyFr3sh!

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will reinstall the game and report back.

When I was playing with the Rendering options I have found that only the TS-DDraw option works.

All the other options give me = "Error - Unable to Set the video mode"

Edit:

I reinstalled the game and behold .. the menus work.

So naturally I wanted to see if I can recreate that bug. I uninstalled all things C&C. (I however did not touch the registry)

I reinstalled (without cinematics)

No issues on the default render and the menus show. Now all the renders work. However on TS-DDraw the menus do not show.

A mate of mine installed it for the first time too and the menus do not show for him on any render.

I will try to "recreate" it properly by cleaning the registry too.

Edit 2:

Okay so I had more time to play around:

I was not able to recreate the non working render issue. Maybe I didn't clean the registry enough and something corrected itself on 2nd install. I will wait to see on the results from my mate.

What I have discovered is that on the Single Player campaign all the renders lag a bit besides the TS-DDraw.

The only issue is that TS-DDraw has those invisible ingame menus BUT

On skirmish the ingame menus work with this render!

The only similar report I found came from this fellow:

On my laptop (an HP Netbook running Windows 8.1, no clue what hardware other than processor) there seems to be an issue with the renderers- I made a post about this before, but to no avail. Essentially, if I get the full version from cncnet (with the campaign) the renderers have an issue. All of them (except ts-ddraw) cause the game speed to crawl when moving the cursor or scrolling the map.

I hope this helps somehow FunkyFr3sh!

Somehow I have a strange feeling (like maybe a bug I recall from 15 years ago) that the menu issue has got to do with the No-CD patch. Maybe I am totally off-point on this and just imagined it.

If I can help then let me know!

• 4 weeks later...

I installed this and everything works perfect.

One thing, when i windows down or press windows key i can't get the game to pop back up.

There's a black bar top left and i can hear the sound but i can't get the game to show.

And how do i change my name?

Thank you for this, i love going back and playing this old game that i have a lot of memories with... :D