Cloak and Dagger mission

Karpet

I have always wondered about the Cloak and Dagger mission, if Westwood actually wanted you to build inside the GDI base and win the mission that way. It just seemed off to me somehow, considering how the map is structured.

There's a big build area for you in the middle, Tiberium fields on 2 sides and no enemy units there. Also, there's a production trigger on the entrance to the GDI base, which the stealth tank doesn't trigger but the MCV does if you move it out.

I tried building my base in the middle and I got destroyed when I got attacked by mammoths and all that good stuff. So, my question is this. Has anyone ever beat the Cloak and Dagger mission "conventionally"? AKA, take the GDI head on?

Strange you should mention it, but I happened to recently when someone (probably Nyer) mentioned there being scripting to lure the mammoths away from the base.  It took me a few tries, but once your base is up and running, it's pretty easy to destroy the base.  I think it's purposely designed to be beaten either way.  A lot of the teamtypes have "attack base" as their only command as opposed to moving through a bunch of particular waypoints first. 

I recently played the mission and choose to build in the base. When I attacked the Advanced Comnm. Centre, GDI flipped out and went for my Stealth Tank. You can use this to distract from your MCV. Attacking the eastern guard towers also triggered the Mammoth Tanks to move over there, so it's definitely possible to leave the GDI base.

The initial Stealth Tank can also take out a good number of GDI units scattered across the map.

Never knew there was such a trigger (and I don't even know how to interpret .ini files), and I'm not too sure how Westwood wanted us to play it as well (we could easily say the big map and tiberium fields are distractions from the 'actual' way of playing it). I did try moving my mcv outside the base and playing like 'normal' - this activated the AI to start producing units. That, and if I recall correctly getting your mcv out in one piece is a challenge too, sometimes it's killed by AGTs.

I literally wanted to start a topic about this LOL.

I beat this mission head on once (out of 5 tries),it's because it's very difficult because a GDI mammoth tank will attack your MCV as soon as you bring it out and a platoon of smaller tanks will move to the tiberium field which isn't defended (other Tiberium have starting GDI units).

I started out rampaging the village to lure the two mammies away and destroyed all 4 southern guard towers from a spot where the AGT couldn't reach it. Then, jailbreak the MCV and you'll see all hell broke loose: They doubled their AGT inside the base, built 2 refineries, started producing tanks and MLRS. Oh, and they still have Ion canons and Engineer reinforcements. I got my airstrip captured and GDI was building lots and lots oh Humvess....from the captured airstrip!

Well, I took the liberty of beating it from outside and recording it.  Funny, it seemed as though they attacked me more last time I tried.  And in honor of RC1985, I recorded it at 6/7 speed.

https://youtu.be/NJaFKdf0fzU

Wow... this video should be made playthrough of the year! EXTREMELY GOOD JOB! I believe this is the first ever cloak and dagger video which features killing the enemy from the outside. That, and playing speed 6/7 on hi res is commendable!

The AI, it appears, can build any unit out of both types of factories. SSMs out of WF, meds on the strip etc. Not sure if it even needs the other factory-type to be able to do it, just instructions.

Nice playthrough Matt, although I think you couldve busted them up much earlier with those artys. You could've also probably hit that South-East tower even from below the ridge. BTW, once the AI starts selling when attacked, it's broke as fuck, just go for the new harvs they build and don't let them get back with the instaboost of $7000 or something. Then you slowly reduce them to minigunners.

What I loved was how he reversed the usual civilian-asks-mammies-help thing. For most of us kill-from-the-inside players we'd first bring the mammy away and then get into the base, but in this case he gets into the base first and then brings the mammies out. It also shows that whichever solution the devs intended, there's another possible way and that gives the mission even more depth.

The AI, it appears, can build any unit out of both types of factories. SSMs out of WF, meds on the strip etc. Not sure if it even needs the other factory-type to be able to do it, just instructions.

I'll have to check this out, because I know that "Badguy" cannot build medium tanks from a WF and I'm skeptical that GDI would be able to build Hummers from an airstrip, but who knows!?

What I loved was how he reversed the usual civilian-asks-mammies-help thing. For most of us kill-from-the-inside players we'd first bring the mammy away and then get into the base, but in this case he gets into the base first and then brings the mammies out.

heh, I always just thought it worked this way but I suppose it kind of serves both purposes.  I think it's weird that you get a couple of apaches for capturing the tech center though...

Yup, that's a hummer coming off of the plane xD

Yeah, I always made my base INSIDE their base, and if you only attack them with turrets and obelisk, it doesn't cause a retaliation mechanism to happen :P

I kinda want to do it again, though, looks cool to do it like this.

You need to attack the outpost, yeah, and drive the mammoths away from the base?

-Liam

I just knew the mission is about building base outside after busting the MCV out, because of the mammoth tanks trigger, the engineer reinforcements that is deployed outside (even when the APC had just drove through the base) and the tiberium fields all over the place.

But then capturing the Tech Center gives you free Apaches so I'm guessing they did want you to capture the GDI base so you can build helipads from the GDI construction yard to reload the Apaches.

If you attack the village, the civilians will go to the GDI base to ask for help, and the Mammoth Tanks at the base entrance will move away for a while.

This, and the tech center stuff, leads me to believe that the "capture-from-within" was indeed never actually intended. It's a pity they never added logics to the game that would make the captured tech center allow you to build helipads, because, yeah, just getting those two apaches you can't reload is kind of useless.

I did the mission that way once; freed the MCV, attacked the village to lure away the mammoths, attacked and destroyed the small Guard towers at the entrance with my Stealth Tank, and then suicided the Stealth on the AGTs to distract it while my MCV rushed through.

I was forced to deploy the MCV in the open space straight below the GDI base entrance (not just in front of it on the road though. A bit further down, past the rock ridges), because the Mammoths were coming back and targeting it. And then enemy troops started pouring out. That was one hell of a battle XD