How to create amphibious Tanks for a RA1 mod

Messiah

I changed the terrain properties of [Water] in the rules.ini so vehicles could drive on land and water. A tank should move on water now ... but at the moment that vehicle leaves the shore to open water it just explodes.  :down:

Telling infantry to go over water that way (Jesus style) is possible that way. But to make infantry move on water is more challenging. For a single map just added to the game, it is probably not possible, sadly. 

But you can create amphibious tanks by further modding of theatre files. X3M gave me the idea.

So it seems to be hardcoded to vehicles to explode on TerrainTypes of [Water], but not to [Beach]. So if I set the water tiles to be Beach by RTMtype and make the [beach] entry of rules.ini moveable to both ships and units, so the tanks won't explode enymore if entering the modified water.

There are two types of terrestrial driving vehicles: Tracked and Wheeled. There are only two wheeled vehicles in RA: The Jeep and the (Neutral) Truck. So we can transform wheeled into amphibious!

1. Extract Water tiles W1 and W2 from your theater file, e.g. snow.mix, by XCC Mixer.

2. Download Nyerguds' RMTtype and set the TerrainType of all cells of W1 and W2 to beach. How to do this, take a look into the manual of RTMType.

3. Put modified W1 and W2 back to your theater by XCC Mix editor.

4. Open a map. Now it's time to do some .ini editing:

[Beach]

Foot=0%

Track=0%

Wheel=100%

Float=100%

Buildable=no

Now set Tracked=no if you want a specific vehicle type should drive over water,  =yes if not.

Note that now all beach tiles (SH01 - SH44) are impassable for tracked vehicles, but passable for ships. For aesthetic reasons, it is recommend to change the terrain properties of all beach tiles to [Rough] or [Clear].

rascreen304.png

Edited by Messiah