Tiberian Sun - Weird Audio Glitch

Lilly Blanche

Question

Hi there, everyone! 

I've been experiencing a weird glitch lately with Tiberian Sun and Firestorm. Namely, this: I hear a pretty loud "click" or "pop"-like sound whenever something is said by EVA or CABAL when a structure or unit is in production, or, in general, whenever they say something while the money count goes either up or down. This results in game sounding like this: "Training... CLICK. CLICK Unit ready CLICK". When I go into options menu and turn the in-game sound to 0, while leaving the music and the advisor speech as is, the glitch no longer happens - so it's not an issue with EVA or CABAL, but, as I suspect, it's got something to do with the money sound bugging out everything else for some reason. 

This behavior has been observed in two different version of Tiberian Sun I have: the one I downloaded from this site (the singleplayer version), and the old pre-Firestorm Spanish CD version, the only difference is that, well, they speak Spanish there, yet the popping sound still remains. 

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit, graphics patch applied, rendering - IE-ddraw, no additional video options, no additional audio options, single processor affinity ON (doesn't matter, tried changing it). Any ideas what might be causing this issue? It's not unplayable, and if you don't pay much attention to it, you learn to zone out and ignore it completely, but I'd rather not have to deal with it all, if possible. It could be that my hardware is just incompatible with something within the game's audio engine, considering how old it is, but if something can be done, I'd appreciate it. I mean, sure, I could try deleting the money sound effect, but... that's not really a good solution :D

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by Lilly Blanche

2 answers to this question

So uh, no one has any ideas on this issue? Because I'm having the exact same issue! I got the CD versions of Tiberian Sun downloaded from this site, plus I've installed the client version in another folder, and both of them suffer from this weird audio "pop" "click" sound. When I go to order troops around, their voice responses end with a little pop sound. Its just the god damn little click poppy sounds, and I've tried turning the game speed down, nuthin'. Is there a specific ddraw file that might help this issue? I remember for RA2 I needed a special dll file to fix screen tearing and audio popping sounds as well.