Malware?

samsimon

Question

15 answers to this question

False positive.

It's the OpenGL version of the client, on Windows it serves as a fallback if the DirectX client fails. On Unix and Mac its the primary one to be used as it can run more natively because those systems have OGL but don't have DX.

Not sure what triggered it, i might try at some point to get the client to compile and test what was it if Rampa or Bittah doesn't get this issue. Had the same last night, sadly gone are the good old days when the Avast with the blue icon existed and wasn't a pile of trash.

But eh i guess it's a industry standard now...

Edited by tomsons26

Perhaps read a bit further?

On 10/9/2017 at 8:50 AM, tomsons26 said:

False positive.

It's the OpenGL version of the client, on Windows it serves as a fallback if the DirectX client fails. On Unix and Mac its the primary one to be used as it can run more natively because those systems have OGL but don't have DX.

Not sure what triggered it, i might try at some point to get the client to compile and test what was it if Rampa or Bittah doesn't get this issue. Had the same last night, sadly gone are the good old days when the Avast with the blue icon existed and wasn't a pile of trash.

But eh i guess it's a industry standard now...

Edited by Handepsilon

On 10/9/2017 at 4:35 PM, fir3w0rx said:

Can anyone recommend a good antivirus?

I use MalwareBytes. The Active Anti-Virus scanner portion requires a license but it's affordable. A decent free anti-virus our network tech uses on his personal gaming rig: http://www.clamwin.com/ Which is a clamAV port from Linux to Windows.

Within the past week MalwareBytes false positive flagged a DLL out of nVidia's GeForce Experience control panel (for lack of a better term). This file "C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\Ontology.dll".

• Like 1

Hello,

If CnCNet has been blocked or flagged by your anti-virus there are a few things to note. 

• Firstly, this warning is often nothing to worry about. Anti-virus software often flag new files as a false positive, mainly because they have discovered a new file on your system they haven't seen before. This is very common in software development, especially for small scale developers such as ourselves. 
  • Other ways a file could be flagged as a false positive is the way we protect the software from being decompiled. Some of our software is protected for reasons to keep CnCNet services safe and secure.

Important steps you can take:

• You can remove this block by allowing it as an exception to your Antivirus firewall.
  • Submit the file in question to a site such as Virus Total, where it will scan the file against other anti-virus definitions. You will probably find your anti-virus will be listed, among some of the others, but as a rule the ratio should be low, and this is fine.
  • To help us stop these alerts, you can submit a report to your antivirus software company, they will scan the file in question that has been flagged, and it will be reviewed and will come back as a false positive.