YR & RA2 mode, what needs updating?

[CC] RaVaGe

On 2/17/2018 at 7:41 PM, FReQuEnZy said:

That behaviour in RA2 is the same.

What I was saying is a rare bug or a glitch in intended behaviour.

In RA2 when you had at least 1 refinery left you could harvest ore and deposit in your ally's refinery for his benefit, while once the refinery was destroyed the harvesters refused to harvest the ore, except in rare circumstances. I've experienced a similar case in YR where I lost all my refineries but they continued to harvest until full of ore, while in other cases they stopped entirely and refused to accept harvest commands (as in they move to targeted ore, but don't harvest).

If you are building a refinery without one your miners will mine ore, even if its not build yet (on command of course). This might be what you mean.

Edited by Ra2Nub

5 hours ago, Ra2Nub said:

If you are building a refinery without one your miners will mine ore, even if its not build yet (on command of course). This might be what you mean.

No, I mean that when you have miners, but no refinery and order your miners to harvest ore then sometimes they refuse to harvest the ore and only move to the spot you clicked to harvest.

On 2/17/2018 at 5:28 PM, Gun_Man said:

So, the fact that in ra2 mode you can't repair your tank on your ally's service depot will be ignored?  or is this not specific enough?

Do you need a video of it?

Wasn't there also something with being able to sell tanks on Allied Service Depot and not the Soviet Repair Bay? I know Westwood fixed one of those issues related to repair depot but never backported it to RA2. (We intend to restore RA2 behavior even if Westwood 'fixed' it in YR but forgot to backport it to RA2.

From the YR patch 1.006 notes:

"

• The player could sell a vehicle that was being repaired on an Allied Repair Depot, unlike the Soviet Repair Depot. Now, the player can't use either type of Repair Depots to sell vehicles.

"

But yeah this does sound important. Can you check selling/repairing units on your service depot as Allies/Soviet and then on an allies Service Depot in both RA2 and YR?

11 hours ago, Iran said:

But yeah this does sound important. Can you check selling/repairing units on your service depot as Allies/Soviet and then on an allies Service Depot in both RA2 and YR?

On RA2

• Allied can sell all vehicles on the Service Depot.
  • Soviet can sell only miners occasionally.

On YR

• Can't sell any vehicle on any Service Depot.

So I noticed that on RA2 the Soviets can still sell miners on the service depot, but it's glitched. 
The miner has to be 1 cell away from the centre of the service depot, basically on the edge for the cursor to change into "vehicle sell mode".
This only worked for me only on the first miner, with all subsequent attempts the cursor did not change.

I doubt that perfect 1:1 fix would be possible so I'd say make it so that the Soviet service depot acts the same way as the Allied one.

Also yeah it is a significant change to high-level play as I've had games where selling a few miners or non-essential units gave me enough income to rebuild a refinery that I would otherwise have no funds for.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

I think there is a language barrier or something.  I was mentioning that you can't repair a tank on your teammate's service depot.  There is a difference between the word "allied" and "ally's".  I've gone ahead and made a video of this for you all, just to make sure.

Ra2 Mode: https://youtu.be/TgpkGab9aWI

Ra2: https://youtu.be/J86zbNLiz9Q

just skip to end

• Like 1

@dkeeton Some bugs I found during testing the new update...

• MCV Deploy sound is not played towards the end of the deploying process.
  • Game crashes at the end of a match (I have score screen disabled).
  • Yuri clones are able to mind control more than 1 unit.
Edited by FReQuEnZy

28 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

MCV Deploy sound is not played towards the end of the deploying process.

Can you confirm there is a sound in RA2? I can't get Origin to launch atm.

29 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

Game crashes at the end of a match (I have score screen disabled).

Do you still have the EXCEPT_CNCNET.TXT file or do you know what username you used when it crashed?

31 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

Yuri clones are able to mind control more than 1 unit.

[MindControl]
Damage=10     ; I think this his how many units Yuri can mind control.

Right now this is 10, I don't know why I put it to 10.  Should it be 1? (spawner2.xdp)

2 hours ago, dkeeton said:

Can you confirm there is a sound in RA2? I can't get Origin to launch atm.

Do you still have the EXCEPT_CNCNET.TXT file or do you know what username you used when it crashed?

[MindControl]
Damage=10     ; I think this his how many units Yuri can mind control.

Right now this is 10, I don't know why I put it to 10.  Should it be 1? (spawner2.xdp)

There most certainly is, at least in the original CD version of the game.
See this youtube video, on the updated RA2 mode that 'slam' sound that plays after the deploy animation is nearly finished gets muted out/doesn't play.

Here's the error log : EXCEPT_CNCNET_23_2_2018_1_22.TXT.zip

Why is the Yuri clone stuff changed when the release notes state that the original rules.ini is used...
AFAIK the Yuri clones were fine before the update.

Here's the default Yuri clone weapon on RA2.

[MindControl]
Damage=10;Needed to be considered offensive unit

Here's the default Yuri clone weapon on YR.

[MindControl]
Damage=1;Number of mind control links

Due to minor game engine differences, the same INI code doesn't result in the same functions.
You need to be careful with these.

As far as I know, there are not many changes like these so it shouldn't be that difficult to fix em.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

19 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

Why is the Yuri clone stuff changed when the release notes state that the original rules.ini is used.

I took the rules.ini file and added the things that were hardcoded in RA2, but then became INI settings in YR.  In some cases the [Section] changed for config knobs and I moved those. So I thought that maybe  I changed [Mindcontrol] settings but as you've pointed out, I didn't change that, it's just the Damage knob changed meanings and I didn't know it. (Actually, tomsons did notice and try to tell me but I didn't understand him sorry @tomsons26)

I will correct it.

Maybe the deploy sound was hard coded to be the same for every BaseUnit. I just need to find the sound file then I'll be able to correct it.

The crashfile will be useful. Looks like it's crashing while writing the stats.

This little known bug worked on both ra2 and Yr in xwis dont know if it works here, if you are allies and a soviet drones your chrono miner if you shoot the chrono miner once then teleport it back to the refinery the drone vanishes ?

Yuri clones controlling 10 units sounds hilarious.

Edited by ZiGZaG

2 hours ago, ZiGZaG said:

This little known bug worked on both ra2 and Yr in xwis dont know if it works here, if you are allies and a soviet drones your chrono miner if you shoot the chrono miner once then teleport it back to the refinery the drone vanishes ?

It still works

5 hours ago, ZiGZaG said:

if you are allies and a soviet drones your chrono miner if you shoot the chrono miner once then teleport it back to the refinery the drone vanishes ?

There's a damage threshold that's supposed to remove the drone. It's no bug.

2 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

There's a damage threshold that's supposed to remove the drone. It's no bug.

Pretty low threshold considering even 1 hit from a Gi/rockie kills it, surely the same would apply to a soviet miner? I think your wrong on this one.

12 minutes ago, ZiGZaG said:

Pretty low threshold considering even 1 hit from a Gi/rockie kills it, surely the same would apply to a soviet miner? I think your wrong on this one.

I think I'm tired of your 'assumptions'. :D
Here are extracts from rulesmd.ini

; Terror Drone,  ooohhh scary
[DRON]
UIName=Name:DRON
Name=Terror Drone
SuppressionThreshold=5; damage below this amount won't suppress the parasite

; Ginormous Squid!  Even scarier!
[SQD]
UIName=Name:SQD
Name=Giant Squid
SuppressionThreshold=250; damage below this amount won't suppress the parasite

It's difficult to know what they actually intended with this code.

Did they intend the functionality we have now, only affecting teleporting units or damage from certain types of units (eg dolphin on squid attacking a ship).
Perhaps they wanted to make it so any damage beyond some amount would suppress the parasite.

It's widely known the game was rushed and some things were not fully developed per design plans, especially with YR.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

35 minutes ago, FReQuEnZy said:

I think I'm tired of your 'assumptions'. :D
Here are extracts from rulesmd.ini

; Terror Drone,  ooohhh scary
[DRON]
UIName=Name:DRON
Name=Terror Drone
SuppressionThreshold=5; damage below this amount won't suppress the parasite

; Ginormous Squid!  Even scarier!
[SQD]
UIName=Name:SQD
Name=Giant Squid
SuppressionThreshold=250; damage below this amount won't suppress the parasite

It's difficult to know what they actually intended with this code.

Did they intend the functionality we have now, only affecting teleporting units or damage from certain types of units (eg dolphin on squid attacking a ship).
Perhaps they wanted to make it so any damage beyond some amount would suppress the parasite.

It's widely known the game was rushed and some things were not fully developed per design plans, especially with YR.

If its the code of the terror drone why doesnt shooting a rhino/grizzly or any other unit get rid of it? Why does this only apply with the allied miner?

Edited by ZiGZaG
  • Confused 1

It's due to the locomotor of the unit (the movement code).
The Chrono miner teleports, as by default the drone drops from the miner however when enough damage is dealt the drone is 'disabled' thus disappears from the miner when teleported.

This could be an unintended side effect of the Chrono locomotor (teleport) or the original developers didn't finish programming the game mechanic.
It's difficult to tell at this point, what they actually intended.

It could be that they intended drones to release their target when the specified amount of damage is dealt, similar to the giant squid.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

Other difference: When capturing a tech building now you hear nothing anymore. If the purpose was to remove the 'Yuris's Revenge' additions which is hearing which type of tech building you did capture, RA2 still had the 'Tech Building Captured' sound when you did capture a tech building. Now you hear nothing.

• Grant pinned this topic
  • Grant locked and unpinned this topic